• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst 9.8 ever?
3 3

55 posts in this topic

Is there a clear winner out there as the worst to ever get a 9.8 or is there solid competition? Have there been any visible spine ticks on any 9.8s? 

Damage from encapsulating wouldn't count in this aspect, just good old errors in judgement when grading. I bet there's some good pics out there of "What were they thinking??" 

Here is where coins are very different.  Part of the grade is attributed to the appearance of the coin.  It won't lower a technical grade but it could bump it up.  As a result, any collector worth his or her salt would always seriously inspect the coin and not grade by the number.  I would say of all the coins I bought from dealers, I returned 1/3 to 1/2 even after looking at the pictures.  Higher resolution scans and things like tilting videos that are prevalent now I'm sure would reduce that quite a bit.  But I was very picky with my spending to only acquire the very best.  It seems CGC graded comic buyers far more frequently just buy to the grading number without a second thought.

On 3/24/2021 at 8:43 AM, William-James88 said:

This one was bad too

But they removed all the info, all that's left to see is this very small pic
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJR9Y9zFwJdzT3ux3SW42xCSsLCy4rsAdk_Q&usqp=CAU

Here's some other pictures, I returned the book as I couldn't even look at this horrible atrocity. 

a9e860f469c7b08aace5f7fdb4ba1541.jpg

ab706f3684a145b05dfddf77fb312839.jpg

On 3/24/2021 at 8:56 AM, Phill the Governor said:

I used to work at one of the big auction houses. Routinely, the director of consignments would show us a book with a post-it note over the grade and have us guess what it was. After a while, you'd go into it knowing the book was overgraded. I saw 9.2-9.8 books from all eras that were all overgraded (or sustained damage within the slab).

In my opinion, based on all the books I've seen over the last 15 years, any grade above a 9.0 is subject to the phrase "buy the book not the grade". We buy and grade books based on arbitrary defects, yes, but unfortunately many people only care about the number on the slab... :( 

Thing is the sellers of dubious 9.8's are selling them at 9.8 prices.

Amazing 252's are notorious for there shabby condition.  I can recall owning one 9.8 in the mid 2000's, the book was SO BAD, I honestly thought it was a fake CGC case....I mean, I think the graders looked at the spine and that was it.....