• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Great Collectibles Bubble: Waiting To Pop?
1 1

343 posts in this topic

Just now, NewWorldOrder said:

So does Star Wars.

Are you are talking about new comic books.  Well thats your own problem for buying any of this new trash lol

Thanks, I would have never figured it out on my own

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

What we want doesn't matter.  Clearly there is money flooding into this hobby.  When you see companies like Rally Road selling partial shares of collectibles we have to realize that the times are changing.

People really do freak out when value drops, and go even more scared if prices rise lol 

2 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

What we want doesn't matter.  Clearly there is money flooding into this hobby.  When you see companies like Rally Road selling partial shares of collectibles we have to realize that the times are changing.

I understand that. When times change, it isn't always for the better. When big money comes around, it sucks the pride of ownership right out of the thing. That's just my take and feeling about it, of course. YMMV.

17 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Sure, future expectations and emotion can come into play and some people flat out gamble in the stock market.   But ultimately a company will have to make money and justify it's stock price

That has been historically true.  Let's see how long GME can buck the trend.  lol

Disney is run by some extremely smart and tenacious people.

They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

With that said however, their culture is what is going to permeate the hobby, both through films and comics.

I dont like the Disney culture myself, but if they can show a divide between the kid side and an adult side, I'll be able to change my perception 

43 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Collectibles in general has been a safe place to put money into for past 20-30 years and obviously diversify into other financial vehicles, but that fact that you are getting scared about Hulk 181's is literally weird to me.

I think it’s weird that people like yourself aren’t even phased by something as abnormal as the recent growth we’ve experienced.

I also think it’s weird to behave as if everyone should have somehow been expecting such growth to occur in such a short amount of time.

That’s really weird, especially since the market pretty much lacks any kind of significant history that resembles what we’re witnessing today.  At least not to this extent. Not to my knowledge, anyways.

And as I’ve already explained to others on here, it’s not fear that drives my thought process regarding the current market. It’s caution. 

Edited by Darkowl

8 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

I was advised to invest in the weed industry. Ground floor stuff. I'm glad I didn't. There is a glut now. Invest in one of its peripherals if I'm going to invest. Pipes, bongs, papers, pouches.

I like reading about this stuff. Living in Wisconsin where it is still illegal makes it really hard to know what companies have good products tho. 

But I've been watching several companies and trying to educate myself. I bought some stock in one - Bevcanna - BVNNF. I feel like there are opportunities ahead of banking reform. 

But I dunno ... I really don't ... It's just a little fun money and I'm BORED with the current comic collecting environment 

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

I've invested in the stock market for 30 years.  It isn't a Ponzi scheme although sometimes it doesn't make sense.  It's like buying a small business, how much money does it make, what will it cost me to buy a piece, how competent is management, what future possible risks and what future possible positives do I see for the business.  If you can buy a piece of a business spitting out profits and growing profits you're ultimately gonna make money.

The crazy thing is, any fool can make money buying comics right now.  

Any fool can make money selling right now.  I don't know about buying. I've got a pocketful of cash but bargains are few and far between. I watched an auction tonite of 80s Spiderman with blurry pictures and the prices were insane. You could buy CGC copies for what they went for.

$1200 for Spidey 299 and $300. $360 for 301 and 302. $340 for a Spidey 252 that looked 8.5ish. 

39 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

So does Star Wars, and all the woke garbage.

I am assuming you are talking about new comic books, well I dont care about the new comics.  

That Miles Morales movie was awesome, including Spider Gwen, despite old school fans thinking Spiderman always had to be a flawed white guy.  So I'm more than ok with creators being creative and reflecting society as it exists today.  It is leading to some great new stories!  Nostalgia only gets you so far, and some things we shouldn't be nostalgic about.

4 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I like reading about this stuff. Living in Wisconsin where it is still illegal makes it really hard to know what companies have good products tho. 

But I've been watching several companies and trying to educate myself. I bought some stock in one - Bevcanna - BVNNF. I feel like there are opportunities ahead of banking reform. 

But I dunno ... I really don't ... It's just a little fun money and I'm BORED with the current comic collecting environment 

Have you considered philanthropy? I'm looking for a Batman 227 9.6 slabbed copy donor. LOL!

Pot was legalized here. Adults 21 and older are allowed to possess up to 1 ounce of cannabis flower and up to 5 grams of hashish or concentrates, and grow up to 6 plants at home. Can yield a lot more than an oz with six plants. So far so good. Colorado showed the world it wouldn't end if pot was legalized. But, they sponsor a lot of mass shootings so - you know - reputation trade off. Not sure what their problem is.

I feel at some point - once all the work has been done to perfect the sale of weed and the infrastructure behind it is solid - the government will step in and hand the whole thing to Philip Morris. Be just like them to do it. Then Philip Morris will poison it like they did tobacco.

1 hour ago, Darkowl said:

I think it’s weird that people like yourself aren’t even phased by something as abnormal as the recent growth we’ve experienced.

I also think it’s weird to behave as if everyone should have somehow been expecting such growth to occur in such a short amount of time.

That’s really weird, especially since the market pretty much lacks any kind of significant history that resembles what we’re witnessing today.  At least not to this extent. Not to my knowledge, anyways.

And as I’ve already explained to others on here, it’s not fear that drives my thought process regarding the current market. It’s caution. 

When you are in it for the long run, you learn not to get caught up in the markets tides. 

Its all cyclical. And its always the same: when markets go up like there is no tomorrow we think it will go on this way forever. Until it stops. And the sky falls. It happened before. It will happen again. People in 1929 thought this was the new normal. Getting rich with borrowing money and buying stocks. However they were wrong.  Now its the time for the suckers to enter the markets and for the players to prepare to get out.