• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, rtsunlimited said:

Some good points in this thread!

Something I've been wondering about for a long time: hm
Can someone please explain to me why ASM 300 is now a $1,000 book?
Didn't this have a print run of 1 million+?
Seems every auction has at least one copy of this book in 9.0+
Who is buying this? Ae there people hoarding it?
This book in particular just boggles my mind! :ohnoez:

Same here bud

crazy how all those copper books have exploded. Insane prices every week. All those kids in the early 90’s now have income and new collectors into the hobby. Movies/MCU have help drive up prices. There’s so much potential Ones that Monster wakes up -Image Comics Universe. 

22 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

A number of years ago, GAtor contemplated putting together a run of Spidey's in 9.0.  He stopped before he started because all it took was a couple hours of phone calls.

I thought I remember him telling me that he did it and then made a profit selling them all.  

Who is buying this?

It would appear that you have answered your own question here:  :gossip:

Seems every auction has at least one copy of this book in 9.0+

Especially since this new CGC generation of speculator needs to chase after books with easily recognizable characters which are easily and readily available in high grade in order to get their fix.  Definitely zero interest in chasing after oldy moldy books with characters which they have never heard of and even if they did, only appears in the marketplace once every few years, and then not even in anywhere close to high grade.  hm  :(

1 hour ago, buttock said:

There's nobody making more AMan books and definitely not making a movie.

Well, since everybody on these boards are saying that escalating prices on books are all directly related to movies, I hope that all of you have snapped up your copies of Adventure Comics 48 by now:  :bigsmile:

https://screenrant.com/hourman-movie-release-date-story-cast-dceu/

With Hourman scheduled to hit the big silver screen as the next big addition to the DCEU, does that mean that we can finally breathe some life back into this long dead Adventure run that seems to have been in a state of severe comatose for several decades now.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :whee:

30 minutes ago, MB1952 said:

Same here bud

crazy how all those copper books have exploded. Insane prices every week. All those kids in the early 90’s now have income and new collectors into the hobby. Movies/MCU have help drive up prices. There’s so much potential Ones that Monster wakes up -Image Comics Universe. 

Yup, I agree with this. 80's and 90's adults now are setting their foot in into the hobby now that they are making their own income and thriving well it seems.  I believe this is just the beginning and only started to realize that collecting and possibly investing in comics is a fun hobby to be in.  They will obviously be starting in the beginning phases hopefully as a hobbyist (start out by buying not so expensive key books like in the modern/copper age and maybe once they start to get into it, they will move on to bigger books in the BA then SA and then the few elitist into the GA keys).  When I first started seriously collecting and getting into this hobby a little more about 15 years ago, I started out small, gained some knowledge and just continued to put more $ into bigger books.  I guess we shall see where this train goes.

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, since everybody on these boards are saying that escalating prices on books are all directly related to movies, I hope that all of you have snapped up your copies of Adventure Comics 48 by now:  :bigsmile:

https://screenrant.com/hourman-movie-release-date-story-cast-dceu/

With Hourman scheduled to hit the big silver screen as the next big addition to the DCEU, does that mean that we can finally breathe some life back into this long dead Adventure run that seems to have been in a state of severe comatose for several decades now.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :whee:

More Fun 73 had it's moment, so anything is possible.  

16 minutes ago, buttock said:

More Fun 73 had it's moment, so anything is possible.  

Persoanlly, I've always been a much much bigger fan of More Fun 73 since it had both Aquaman and Green Arrow who have both certainly retained their prominence in the comic books and media to a much greater degree than either Hourman from Adventure 48 or Starman from Adventure 61. (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Persoanlly, I've always been a much much bigger fan of More Fun 73 since it had both Aquaman and Green Arrow who have both certainly retained their prominence in the comic books and media to a much greater degree than either Hourman from Adventure 48 or Starman from Adventure 61. (thumbsu

You have bad taste.  :baiting:

Just now, lou_fine said:

Well, sorry to say, but membership in this club might already be full since I am sure you are not the first one to say this.  lol

It's ok.  I like Adventure 72.  We all have our warts. 

12 minutes ago, buttock said:

It's ok.  I like Adventure 72.  We all have our warts. 

Hey, hey, hey...........that's blasphemy as I absolutely love the cover for Adventure 72 and actually had it as one of my Top 5 covers in a CBM survey back in the mid 90's.  If I remember correctly, I also had 'Tec 31, Punch 12, All-American 61, and Silver Streak 6 in there or was it a Supes 14.  :cloud9:

I most definitely must have had bad taste back then because I was the only single person to include 'Tec 31 in their listing, and yet in a survey conducted by Heritage about 5 years ago, the cover for Detective Comics 31 finished up right at the top of the charts.  So, go figure that!!!  :applause:  

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yup, I agree with this. 80's and 90's adults now are setting their foot in into the hobby now that they are making their own income and thriving well it seems.  I believe this is just the beginning and only started to realize that collecting and possibly investing in comics is a fun hobby to be in.  They will obviously be starting in the beginning phases hopefully as a hobbyist (start out by buying not so expensive key books like in the modern/copper age and maybe once they start to get into it, they will move on to bigger books in the BA then SA and then the few elitist into the GA keys).  When I first started seriously collecting and getting into this hobby a little more about 15 years ago, I started out small, gained some knowledge and just continued to put more $ into bigger books.  I guess we shall see where this train goes.

Exactly how I got into the hobby started small gain knowledge. Ones I owned my first computer the sky was the limit. Thanks to the internet I have my collection. So much keys so cheap early 2000’s. Ones I discovered OA & GA books I switched over and sold all my silver keys to fund OA and GA beauties. 
This young collectors buying all this copper and modern books will eventually graduated to bronze,silver & gold books. GA so much beautiful classics 👏🏻 and hard to find above midgrade. 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, lou_fine said:

This is actually an excellent analogy and very apt to what is taking place in the comic book marketplace right now and most likely going forward.  (thumbsu

All you need do is take a look at the current CC Event Auction which has now been running for close to a week and take a look at the GS X-Men 1 which @drbanner had mentioned in his earlier post up above.  Even though there's over 10,000 copies slabbed to date already and over 200 copies graded in CGC 9.8, the copy that is listed in the CC Auction is already sitting at $33,500 and possibly on its way into the $60K range or above.  And yet at the same time, you've got Single Highest Graded copies of Dell File copies from the late 30's or very early 40's with only a handful total or less in the CGC census to date still sitting at single dollar digits or still even awaiting their first bid.  (:

I guess like Cobb and Ruth, even former well remembered characters like Flash Gordon gets thrown into the trash heap as time goes on.  Even then, still find it rather strange though that a Transformers 1 with almost 3,300 copies slabbed to date will still command $44K, while this gorgeous looking Single Highest Graded copy of Flash Gordon with a whopping total of only 11 copies slabbed to date is going to need some crypto investor to dig real extra deep into their pockets if they want to win it as it's sitting at the grand total of a big big $6 after almost a whole week of bidding:  :screwy:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820399

fla8.21.jpg

I guess it must be the 2020 updated re-released version of the classic Flash Gordon movie that must be driving the prices so high, or was that the Flesh Gordon movie?  lol

You had to open your mouth.  I really wanted that book for $6...now it's at $360...with 2 weeks to go...  :facepalm:lol

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

A number of years ago, GAtor contemplated putting together a run of Spidey's in 9.0.  He stopped before he started because all it took was a couple hours of phone calls.

9.0 would be child's play.  I think it could be done in 9.4 in a week today, including an AF 15 and ASM 1, for anyone willing to write a big enough check.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:
9 hours ago, tth2 said:

Fish Police, Troll Lords, The Adventurers, Radioactive Hamsters, etc. etc., I had them all! 

Never realized that you were also a charter member of this much noted 80's B&W club.  lol  (thumbsu

I shouldn't have used the past tense.  I still have them all!