• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I can no longer think of a genre that hasn’t been discovered and exploited. Believe me, I have spent my entire time in this hobby looking. A few of them will just never be appreciated probably because it has always been a “men in tights” hobby. 

The “classic covers” have been pretty much all found out. We are now to the point of pimping a lot of second rate covers. 

One thing that is yet to be discovered completely is the contents. We have become so cover and slab orientated that often interiors get overlooked. Still lots of cool and weird interior stories and art left inside for those who dare to open their books. 

There’s a bunch of Church westerns in this weeks heritage weekly. They haven’t gotten much attention so far

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I can no longer think of a genre that hasn’t been discovered and exploited. Believe me, I have spent my entire time in this hobby looking. A few of them will just never be appreciated probably because it has always been a “men in tights” hobby. 

The “classic covers” have been pretty much all found out. We are now to the point of pimping a lot of second rate covers. 

One thing that is yet to be discovered completely is the contents. We have become so cover and slab orientated that often interiors get overlooked. Still lots of cool and weird interior stories and art left inside for those who dare to open their books. 

Agree with you 100% especially in regard to Romance comics. Sometimes some really tawdry stuff in those stories. Some require reading between the lines, but really adult level oriented themes in many of them . 

Edited by sagii

13 minutes ago, sagii said:

Agree with you 100% especially in regard to Romance comics. Sometimes some really tawdry stuff in those stories. Some require reading between the lines, but really adult level oriented themes in many of them . 

Yeah, I’ve noticed some of that too. I recently discovered what I believe is an unknown “reefer” story in one. 

There is a treasure trove of weirdness in humor comics as well. 

I bought this book cheap this weekend because of an LB Cole cover. While thumbing through it, I found this surrealistic story. I love books where the artist draws himself into the story. 

Retirement money? Probably not but helps to add interest if I want to sell it. 

04C07864-3F57-4098-93DD-673ACF4DCB60.jpeg

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

There’s a bunch of Church westerns in this weeks heritage weekly. They haven’t gotten much attention so far

Westerns have been the opposite of "discovered and exploited".  More like hidden and buried.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Yeah, I’ve noticed some of that too. I recently discovered what I believe is an unknown “reefer” story in one. 

I bought this book cheap this weekend because of an LB Cole cover. While thumbing through it, I found this surrealistic story. I love books where the artist draws himself into the story. 

Reefer madness

2 hours ago, sagii said:

Sometimes some really tawdry stuff in those stories. Some require reading between the lines, but really adult level oriented themes in many of them . 

Primo description of many yarns in E.C.'s Shock and Crime SuspenStories.

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Do you know what artist drew that? Assuming Cole only did the cover art? It is pretty cool!

14 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I posted this in the "Have a Cigar" thread as well, but wanted to post it here to show the kind of books I like and will be going after. Unique, brilliant colors that stand out and catch the eye. This is my second GA book purchased.  Won it the other night in the C-link auction.  Good Start ?

image.thumb.png.08d84fff7887a0dc8568394d571206bd.png

Terrific copy!  :applause: 

4 hours ago, Point Five said:
18 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I posted this in the "Have a Cigar" thread as well, but wanted to post it here to show the kind of books I like and will be going after. Unique, brilliant colors that stand out and catch the eye. This is my second GA book purchased.  Won it the other night in the C-link auction.  Good Start ?

image.thumb.png.08d84fff7887a0dc8568394d571206bd.png

Expand  

Terrific copy!  :applause: 

Yes indeed, a fantastic and gorgeous pickup and definitely the way to start your collection by searching out books that presents much higher than their assigned CGC grade.  :applause:

You can never go wrong when you buy the book, as opposed to buying the label.  :preach:  (thumbsu

At some point in the 80s I was told that the next Overstreet cover would be Westerns!  I walked around the convention I was at and started pulling a big pile to start my accumulation... and then it hit me—-  what the heck was I doing??  Walked away.  

yessirrebob, dodged a bullet that day dad blast it! 

Had three copies of Fish Police #1. It was hot!  Got a free ad in CBG with my new subscription so I listed them for sale for $40.  Not a nibble.  The boom had busted. 

Edited by Aman619

On 3/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

After coming back into comic collecting last year I have been saving to purchase SA Marvel keys (#1 issues).  But, I never thought prices would currently explode the way they have, and the books I wanted are increasing faster than I can save. Browsing current and upcoming auctions I find myself drooling over GA books and have thoughts of waiting on the SA keys and just buying GA books that I like. Thoughts on giving up on my original plan and pivoting into the Golden Age of comic books at this time??

No, hard no.

GA is rarer and not as sexy so it doesn't get discussed much but it's seeing the same rise in ridiculous prices we see elsewhere. Books that haven't moved for a decade are on the move for no apparent reason in and of themselves aside from simply being a superhero comic of a character still around when all comics fitting that low bar requirement are hot.

Here are a few examples to show how this is not the time for GA. These are all GA lots of Fawcett books (Captain marvel and the Marvel family), no keys.

Nov 2019 sold for 85% of guide https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-marvel-adventures-group-of-6-fawcett-publications-1947-condition-average-vg-fn-total-6-/a/121946-15447.s

Nov 2019 sold for 75% of guide https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-marvel-adventures-group-of-6-fawcett-publications-1948-condition-vg-total-6-/a/121946-15449.s

Dec 2019 sold for a little less than guide https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-marvel-related-group-of-3-fawcett-publications-1943-48-total-3-comic-books-/a/121948-11512.s

March 2020 sold for 85% of guide https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/miscellaneous/golden-age-miscellaneous-comics-group-of-9-fawcett-1940s-50s-condition-average-gd-vg-total-9-items-/a/122013-19285.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

So far, all at guide price or less

Now we get into 2021. Same thing, all GA lots of Fawcett books, no keys.

Feb 2021 sold for 255% of guide  https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/the-marvel-family-group-of-4-fawcett-publications-1946-total-4-comic-books-/a/122107-15423.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

March 2021 sold for 198% of guide https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whiz-comics-group-of-8-fawcett-publications-1945-50-condition-average-fn-total-8-/a/122112-17553.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116#

March 2021 sold for 250% of guide https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/whiz-comics-group-fawcett-publications-1944-45-condition-average-fn-total-5-/a/122112-17552.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

So if you think investing in SA in wasteful due to the crazy prices, here is no different.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:00 AM, sagii said:

Fawcett's can still be a bargain right now (but Mary Marvel covers are slowly pullig up to Whiz and Master prices 

Not anymore, as can be shown above.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:11 AM, Crowzilla said:

She-Hulk #1 has doubled in the last six months, what has GA done?

More than doubled, as far as what I am looking at.

Edited by William-James88

6 hours ago, Robot Man said:

comrifleman10.jpg

I've always wondered if the cover photographer knew exactly the shot he was taking here and decided to go with it on purpose anyways to see if it would get pass the editors at the time?  :devil:

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:
On 3/27/2021 at 12:11 AM, Crowzilla said:

She-Hulk #1 has doubled in the last six months, what has GA done?

More than doubled, as far as what I am looking at.

Then again, since we were talking about the good old Westerns, maybe Sean does have a point if this current pricing after almost 2 full weeks holds:  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820377

cra2.217.jpg

Very early 1939 appearance of Red Ryder who had debuted a few months earlier in Crackajack 9, with this being not only a File Copy, but also the highest graded copy by a long shot with only a total of 5 copies graded to date.  And yet for this 80+ years oldy moldy book, it looks like you would have to see your bank manager to arrange for a second mortage in today's hyper red hot comic book marketplace as this copy is sitting at a monstrous high bid of a whopping $6.  O.o