• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would have to respectfully disagree. There is way more to collecting comics than simply "men in tights" or any publisher who's name ends in "C".

Heck, there are even photo cover ones that a few people want....

comtimholt17.jpg

combuffalobill.jpg

comgunsmokeym3.jpg

comghostrider10.jpg

comgunsmoke.jpg

comsaddleromances10.jpg

comhedy25.jpg

combroncobill7.jpg

comwesternbandidtrails.jpg

combobbybenson14.jpg

comrifleman10.jpg

comblackrider8.jpg

Nice persuasion technic.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Then again, since we were talking about the good old Westerns, maybe Sean does have a point if this current pricing after almost 2 full weeks holds:  (shrug)

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820377

cra2.217.jpg

Very early 1939 appearance of Red Ryder who had debuted a few months earlier in Crackajack 9, with this being not only a File Copy, but also the highest graded copy by a long shot with only a total of 5 copies graded to date.  And yet for this 80+ years oldy moldy book, it looks like you would have to see your bank manager to arrange for a second mortage in today's hyper red hot comic book marketplace as this copy is sitting at a monstrous high bid of a whopping $6.  O.o

Let's see what price it ends up at then we can compare apples to apples, unpopular GA books always start slow, they can always rev up closer to the end, like all those plastic man comics did in the recent CLink auction. All of them setting new records. And I know the discussion was westerns based but the person did say GA in general and I noticed that since GA is going bonkers too.

Edited by William-James88

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I've always wondered if the cover photographer knew exactly the shot he was taking here and decided to go with it on purpose anyways to see if it would get pass the editors at the time?  :devil:

Don’t wanna divert the thread direction, but I’ve always wondered the same about this one . . .

4F502573-548B-4275-BEDC-A59780A7B947.jpeg

8 hours ago, comicjack said:

They were laughing all the way to the printer over that one lol

How bout this one?  Or was it just a different era and this only meant sneaking out where no one could see you... regardless I actually like this one just for the great photocover.

Young Romance 15 2.0.JPG

2 hours ago, Shrevvy said:
5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Omg. Seriously?

With a splash by Kirby. The word balloon does not make it better.

BackDoor005.thumb.jpg.d01649f8d9e554c9c38576ea72f1f1f5.jpg

That and the bottom insert in green where it looks like she's either crying or already assuming the position for some back door loving!!!  :blush:  lol

17 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Let's see what price it ends up at then we can compare apples to apples, unpopular GA books always start slow, they can always rev up closer to the end, like all those plastic man comics did in the recent CLink auction. All of them setting new records. And I know the discussion was westerns based but the person did say GA in general and I noticed that since GA is going bonkers too.

With Lou, it's all just a case of "Thou doth protest too much".  He knows as well as anyone here that there is zero correlation between bid prices 2 weeks out and final winning prices. 

16 hours ago, comicjack said:

They were laughing all the way to the printer over that one lol

I remember when they were showing "Goldfinger" in the theaters here in the early 80s for some reason, and we high schoolers were predictably amused by the name of the main female character, but surmised that perhaps it didn't have the same connotation back in the more innocent 1960s, which is how it managed to get past the censors. 

So afterwards I asked my dad if it meant the same thing back in the 1960s, and he replied "Oh yeah".  

4 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I remember when they were showing "Goldfinger" in the theaters here in the early 80s for some reason, and we high schoolers were predictably amused by the name of the main female character, but surmised that perhaps it didn't have the same connotation back in the more innocent 1960s, which is how it managed to get past the censors. 

So afterwards I asked my dad if it meant the same thing back in the 1960s, and he replied "Oh yeah".  

Here kitty kitty. Here kitty kitty.

So many kitties!  
(and so little time.)

Edited by MusterMark

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I've always wondered if the cover photographer knew exactly the shot he was taking here and decided to go with it on purpose anyways to see if it would get pass the editors at the time?  :devil:

The actor who played Mark shows up at the occasional Nostalgia Fest ... I met him at one locally. He didn't get the significance of the image at first and would autograph copies, but when he found out about the innuendo, he stopped doing so. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

GAhGerC.jpg

Edited by jimjum12