• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

:gossip:  ... you forgot to include the obligatory Prize Western with a Severin cover. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

:gossip: I don't have one...(shrug)

But, to make up for it, here's Clint...lol

22521711147_7e91282b36_c.jpg

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

Oh my.  I need a copy of that Young romance 15.

Back to the topic of random books heating up with no apparent reason, which brings me to this book: Black Knight 1 (Toby).  I bought a copy 30 years ago out of a $5 bin and was so disappointed with the low quality artwork and the character having no link or resemblance to the atlas/marvel character, so I tossed it into a box and never gave it a second thought again.  Until I saw this on eBay.  Other than having the same title (different character) and being published 2 years prior to the Atlas title, why in the world is this book so hot?  It was a $50 book you could hardly give away as late as 2017-2018.  Will the new Black Knight movie feature Kit Harrington's evil twin from the Toby Multiverse?  Someone school me please.

image.thumb.png.951666687ce5935c7f808d8fdc85d6a9.png

Edited by davet75

3 minutes ago, davet75 said:

Oh my.  I need a copy of that Young romance 15.

Back to the topic of random books heating up with no apparent reason, which brings me to this book: Black Knight 1 (Toby).  I bought a copy 30 years ago out of a $5 bin and was so disappointed with the low quality artwork and the character having no link or resemblance to the atlas/marvel character, so I tossed it into a box and never gave it a second thought again.  Until I saw this on eBay.  Other than having the same title (different character) and being published 2 years prior to the Atlas title, why in the world is this book so hot?  It was a $50 book you could hardly give away as late as 2017-2018.  Someone school me please.

image.thumb.png.951666687ce5935c7f808d8fdc85d6a9.png

Movie madness...the Eternals movie is coming...

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Movie madness...the Eternals movie is coming...

Forgive my ignorance.  The book was so poorly written and illustrated that I never actually read it.  What is the link between the Toby Black Knight and the Marvel Eternals?  Mycomicshop lists the following contents and I don't see any reference to the Eternals.

Issue Details

Issue #1
Published May 1953
Cover Price 0.10
Pages 36
Editing ?

Cover Details

Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder

11 page Black Knight story "Human Sacrifice"

Characters I: Black Knight (Sir Robert, Earl of Denhope)
Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder
Reprinted in Black Knight (I. W. Publishing; Super Comics, 1963 series) #1

8 page Black Knight story "Killers Unseen"

Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder

2 page text story "Old Liz"

Letters Typeset

5 page Black Knight story "Search For the Sheriff"

Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder
Notes last appearance

1 page filler "The Invitation"

Genre Humor
Pencils Mel Lazarus
Inks Mel Lazarus
Edited by davet75

7 minutes ago, davet75 said:

Forgive my ignorance.  The book was so poorly written and illustrated that I never actually read it.  What is the link between the Toby Black Knight and the Marvel Eternals?  Mycomicshop lists the following contents and I don't see any reference to the Eternals.

Issue Details

Issue #1
Published May 1953
Cover Price 0.10
Pages 36
Editing ?

Cover Details

Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder

11 page Black Knight story "Human Sacrifice"

Characters I: Black Knight (Sir Robert, Earl of Denhope)
Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder

8 page Black Knight story "Killers Unseen"

Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder

2 page text story "Old Liz"

Letters Typeset

5 page Black Knight story "Search For the Sheriff"

Genre Period
Pencils Ernest Schroeder
Inks Ernest Schroeder
Notes last appearance

1 page filler "The Invitation"

Genre Humor
Pencils Mel Lazarus
Inks Mel Lazarus

Black Knight evidently was an Eternal, as revealed in a later marvel comic.  But, in 1953 there were no Eternals, so you are correct.  Marvel decided he was one later...Is this a load of cr*p, or what? :roflmao: I hate movie hype...unless I own a book that's being hyped...:insane:

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

20 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Black Knight evidently was an Eternal, as revealed in a later marvel comic.  But, in 1953 there were no Eternals, so you are correct.  Marvel decided he was one later...Is this a load of cr*p, or what?  I hate movie hype...

I get the retcon to prior Marvel Black Knight incarnations and then future retcon to the Eternals.  i.e. Sir Percy of Scandia (Atlas Black Knight) was ancestor to Nathan Garrett (Marvel supervillain Black Knight in Tales to Astonish #52), who was the uncle of Dane Whitman (AKA Marvel movie Black Knight Kit Harrington/John Snow x new Eternal = bonkers price speculation).  What I don't get is the Toby Black Knight title is about a guy named Sir Robert, Earl of Denhope who has no connection to any of the previously referenced characters, and does not exist in the same universe / reality.  I just re-read the Toby book and Sir Robert is actually just a crusader with no connection to King Arthur or a magic sword.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to sell the book for a few grand to some speculator.  Just. mind. blown. 

Edited by davet75

3 minutes ago, davet75 said:

I get the retcon to prior Marvel Black Knight incarnations and then future retcon to the Eternals.  i.e. Sir Percy of Scandia (Atlas Black Knight) was ancestor to Nathan Garrett (Marvel supervillain Black Knight in Tales to Astonish #52), who was the uncle of Dane Whitman (AKA Marvel movie Black Knight Kit Harrington/John Snow x new Eternal = bonkers price speculation).  What I don't get is the Toby Black Knight title is about a guy named Sir Robert, Earl of Denhope who has no connection to any of the previously referenced characters, and does not exist in the same universe / reality.  I just re-read the Toby book and Sir Robert is actually just a crusader with no connection to King Arthur or a magic sword.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to sell the book for a few grand to some speculator.  Just. mind. blown. 

Exactly...:roflmao:

19 hours ago, davet75 said:

Back to the topic of random books heating up with no apparent reason, which brings me to this book: Black Knight 1 (Toby).  I bought a copy 30 years ago out of a $5 bin and was so disappointed with the low quality artwork and the character having no link or resemblance to the atlas/marvel character, so I tossed it into a box and never gave it a second thought again.  Until I saw this on eBay.  Other than having the same title (different character) and being published 2 years prior to the Atlas title, why in the world is this book so hot?  It was a $50 book you could hardly give away as late as 2017-2018.  Will the new Black Knight movie feature Kit Harrington's evil twin from the Toby Multiverse?  Someone school me please.

Honestly, I think is due to speculators that don't know anything about comics. They see that Black Knight #1 is selling for a lot of money, so they buy up the first BK #1 that they can find. They can't even be concerned enough to check if it's the correct BK #1.

1 hour ago, atomised said:

people are spending stimulus money on collectables.  I worry about these rising prices not being sustainable.

I don't think stimmies are responsible for the card, comic and collectable market exploding. May have a small part to play, but I think sheer boredom and newfound appreciation has a lot to do with it.