• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

Sure, it's definitely a purty copy, but if a BA Marvel like this one here can fetch $21,600 even though there's already 349 copies slabbed to date, it makes me wonder why a beauty like that Prize Comics Western 88 with still zero copies slabbed to date would surely end up nowhere even anywhere close to what this Night Nurse 1 managed to fetched last week:  (:  :screwy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/night-nurse-1-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7242-96194.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F3%2F6%2F1%2F4%2F23614449%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

:takeit:  :takeit:  ,  the Prize Comics Western 88, that is!!!  :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

:idea:   Heck, with this no name Night Nurse being able to fetch over $20K and the Godzilla vs. Kong movie apparently setting global pandemic box office records this past weekend, I am going to get Godzilla himself to stomp on my copy of Marvel's BA Godzilla #1 until it gets flattened into a CGC 11.0 graded copy and then I'll flip it to one of these newbie crypto billionaires for a cool million dollars.  :wishluck:  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

it makes me wonder why a beauty like that Prize Comics Western 88 with still zero copies slabbed to date would surely end up nowhere even anywhere close to what this Night Nurse 1 managed to fetched last week: 

I agree.  It would probably be $216,000 book.   

Like you said, "nowhere even anywhere close" :shy:

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Will this suffice?

image.thumb.png.235089d92e1939a7a67fabf7d381f543.png

I've never seen this one... Thanks, Tim .... Severin has been on my A-List for years... since I was a kid checking out Trimpe/Severin Hulks .... GODF BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 4/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, szav said:

How bout this one?  Or was it just a different era and this only meant sneaking out where no one could see you... regardless I actually like this one just for the great photocover.

Young Romance 15 2.0.JPG

I just managed to procure some cheap back door love off eBay!

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I've never seen this one... Thanks, Tim .... Severin has been on my A-List for years... since I was a kid checking out Trimpe/Severin Hulks .... GODF BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

(thumbsu My love of Severin came from his work on Sgt Fury.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Sure, it's definitely a purty copy, but if a BA Marvel like this one here can fetch $21,600 even though there's already 349 copies slabbed to date, it makes me wonder why a beauty like that Prize Comics Western 88 with still zero copies slabbed to date would surely end up nowhere even anywhere close to what this Night Nurse 1 managed to fetched last week

Because, as was stated earlier in this thread, Westerns are deader than doorknobs.

But maybe this is your opportunity to start a Reddit page on the huge upside opportunities in the last untapped sector in comics and team up with some other collectors to start driving up the market in ultra-HG slabbed westerns.  It's all about momentum these days, so if the speculators start seeing big moves up in Gene Autry and Tom Mix comics, they'll quickly pile in.

Compared to what mid-grade SA B-character semi-keys are selling for these days, GA seems just so dirt cheap to me. I've even noticed myself going after books I haven't cared for as much, simply because they seem so freaking affordable. Mind you, they aren't. But they seem that way, compared to everything else. 

11 hours ago, tth2 said:

Because, as was stated earlier in this thread, Westerns are deader than doorknobs.

But maybe this is your opportunity to start a Reddit page on the huge upside opportunities in the last untapped sector in comics and team up with some other collectors to start driving up the market in ultra-HG slabbed westerns.  It's all about momentum these days, so if the speculators start seeing big moves up in Gene Autry and Tom Mix comics, they'll quickly pile in.

reddit.com/r/cowboycomicbookbets/

14 hours ago, tth2 said:

I believe that most collectors associate western comics with the popular (at the time) photo covers of Roy, Gene, Hoppy and others. And yes, pretty dead at this point. 

My post earlier, was an attempt to illustrate western books that are very in demand. Some amazing art and situations that are still very sought after by those who appreciate good comic art. 

I was very happy to recently pick up that very issue of Prize Western with that beautiful John Severin cover. Happy indeed that westerns are “dead”. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:20 PM, tth2 said:

I guess we should really never say never, and being the astute buyer that you are, it never hurts to buy things when they are out of favor because this strategy will definitely do a lot less damage to your bank account.   (thumbsu

Especially if we think back a bit, I believe it was not really that long ago that Romance comics and the other so-called "girlie" books were out of favor, and if you take a look at them nowadays, it will cost you a pretty bundle to pick them up even in mid-grade condition.  That's assuming that you are lucky enough to even be able to find any with the more desirable covers.  hm   :luhv:

Edited by lou_fine

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess we should really never say never, and being the astute buyer that you are, it never hurts to buy things when they are out of favor because this strategy will definitely do a lot less damage to your bank account.   (thumbsu

Especially if we think back a bit, I believe it was not really that long ago that Romance comics and the other so-called "girlie" books were out of favor, and if you take a look at them nowadays, it will cost you a pretty bundle to pick them up even in mid-grade condition.  That's assuming that you are lucky enough to even be able to find any with the more desirable covers.  hm   :luhv:

I guess it's all in what an individual's collecting agenda entails. 

Personally I only pay for PCH and crime books, in order to read them.  Once here, unless being a substandard read with not even the cover illustration to save them, I'll sell.  But AFA other genres, why invest money in books I have no interest in?  I'm not a speculator.  In fact, PCH is hotter than a firecracker right now, as are lurid cover illustrated crime books, and not necessarily in mid or high grade; ALL grades.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:17 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I agree with everything you stated.  I am closer to your option #2 at the moment, and like you mentioned having $10-15K currently really doesn't get you much in the way of SA keys these days.  Thats the one reason I redirected my attention towards GA books. The niche thing may be an issue with me because there are just so many awesome covers from that era, so maybe that could be my niche, GA books with awesome covers. LOL. When, and if SA keys decide to level off or at least cool-off some I can nibble on a few then.

GA comics are much better than SA comics.  Invest in comics with 200 existing rather than in comics with 30,000 existing....no matter what anyone says or what the prices are.  Go for More Fun #31.... Human Torch #3(#2)....and other pre-first-appearances.  Buy current valid drivers licenses & passports of celebrities who died.

1 hour ago, ChillMan said:

GA comics are much better than SA comics.  Invest in comics with 200 existing rather than in comics with 30,000 existing....no matter what anyone says or what the prices are.  Go for More Fun #31.... Human Torch #3(#2)....and other pre-first-appearances.  Buy current valid drivers licenses & passports of celebrities who died.

I would not say "better" just different. The look and feel of a GA comic book is just different from the SA books. I bought the SA books off the news stand  and had to go to the used book store or other collectors for GA in the late 60's. In the long run less copies does mean a bit more price stability due to rareness and age. Both if bought in a responsible manner   and selectively in terms of label, paper and staple quality can be rewarding to both GA/SA comic books. It is just a matter of time that a number of SA books will dominate the "top Ten" most expensive comic books in our GA/SA comic book world. 10 years from now the top ten sales prices look for ULTRA high grade FF1,ASM1, JIM#83, and TOS#39 to be right there.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

I would not say "better" just different. The look and feel of a GA comic book is just different from the SA books. I bought the SA books off the news stand  and had to go to the used book store or other collectors for GA in the late 60's. In the long run less copies does mean a bit more price stability due to rareness and age. Both if bought in a responsible manner   and selectively in terms of label, paper and staple quality can be rewarding to both GA/SA comic books. It is just a matter of time that a number of SA books will dominate the "top Ten" most expensive comic books in our GA/SA comic book world. 10 years from now the top ten sales prices look for ULTRA high grade FF1,ASM1, JIM#83, and TOS#39 to be right there.

11/41                                        1st appearance of Aquaman  1st appearance of The Green   Arrow & Speedy

4 in 8.0, 2 higher

1/40  on newsstands 11/39      1st appearance of The Flash