• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In light of the SA price explosion, is GA the place to put new funds instead?
5 5

221 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2021 at 10:00 AM, G G ® ™ said:

You sure it wasn't Chuck looking for the next Church windfall?

Considering the disaster that was "Mile High II", I really hope old Chuck wasn't looking to recreate the Church colection!

PS to G G ® ™: Nice touch referring to it as the "Church" collection. Too many call it "Mile High" which irks me no end!

2 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

PS to G G ® ™: Nice touch referring to it as the "Church" collection. Too many call it "Mile High" which irks me no end!

Absolutely. Me too!

19 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

You had to open your mouth.  I really wanted that book for $6...now it's at $360...with 2 weeks to go...  :facepalm:lol

Well, if it's at $360, you really can't complain too much since at least it's still got the number "6" in there.  lol

Seriously though, $360 is probably not really that much in today's robust marketplace for a CGC single highest graded copy when it comes to today's rabid FOMO label conscious buyers.  Especially when you consider that whole slew of Dell Looney Tunes books that have been selling in the weekly Heritage Sunday Auctions for the past month at huge multiples to top of guide ranging anywhere from $1,500 up to just over $4,000 for each of them.  Then again, maybe Bugs Bunny is a much more recognizable and relevant character for today's new generation of deep pocketed buyers as compared to Flesh Flash Gordon.  hm  (shrug)

Since you are a fellow boardie and appear to be interested in Flash, just between you and me, there are a some other Flash Gordon books that's still sitting at a much lower price point right now like this nice dark painted cover one here for only $43, along with an even earlier one at an even lower price point than this one here:  :gossip:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820394

fou1.8256.jpg

Edited by lou_fine

18 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 3/29/2021 at 10:35 AM, lou_fine said:
On 3/29/2021 at 8:12 AM, tth2 said:

Fish Police, Troll Lords, The Adventurers, Radioactive Hamsters, etc. etc., I had them all! 

Never realized that you were also a charter member of this much noted 80's B&W club.  lol  (thumbsu

I shouldn't have used the past tense.  I still have them all!

Considering the fact that Hong Kong has the most expensive prices for real estate in the world by a long shot, I am surprised that you would still have room to store all of these "much valued treasures" in your place.  :bigsmile:

On 3/24/2021 at 3:25 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

After coming back into comic collecting last year I have been saving to purchase SA Marvel keys (#1 issues).  But, I never thought prices would currently explode the way they have, and the books I wanted are increasing faster than I can save. Browsing current and upcoming auctions I find myself drooling over GA books and have thoughts of waiting on the SA keys and just buying GA books that I like. Thoughts on giving up on my original plan and pivoting into the Golden Age of comic books at this time??

This board is great for everything.... except investing advice.  Great.  Fun.  Friendly.  Helpful.  Informative.  Etc, etc.  But the investing advice is total complete s***....dog-doo-doo.

Use your own mind about what might skyrocket or not in value.

Edited by ChillMan

38 minutes ago, ChillMan said:

This board is great for everything.... except investing advice.  Great.  Fun.  Friendly.  Helpful.  Informative.  Etc, etc.  But the investing advice is total complete s***....dog-doo-doo.

Use your own mind about what might skyrocket or not in value.

I wasn't necessarily looking for investment advice.  But, I was looking to start re-collecting again. The original plan was to buy a few SA keys, but the recent crazy run-ups have priced me out of that plan for now.  I have always had a special interest in GA books, there's just something about those beautiful covers that can't be replicated even with all of todays technology. If the GA books I end up purchasing increase in value thats all well and good, but I'm not buying them to re-sell or flip, just trying to find a starting point, thats closer to the floor than the ceiling. 

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

On 3/24/2021 at 4:25 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

After coming back into comic collecting last year I have been saving to purchase SA Marvel keys (#1 issues).  But, I never thought prices would currently explode the way they have, and the books I wanted are increasing faster than I can save. Browsing current and upcoming auctions I find myself drooling over GA books and have thoughts of waiting on the SA keys and just buying GA books that I like. Thoughts on giving up on my original plan and pivoting into the Golden Age of comic books at this time??

The real question I have for you is how much money are you prepared to drop today?  :ph34r:  If you told me you had 50k disposable income and you don't mind buying SA keys and holding them for awhile (perhaps a couple of years at least if not longer)  - I might steer you into a mid-grade X-MEN1 and mid-grade TOS39 and with your approx 5k change I would buy whatever nice looking lower grade Hulk 181 (blue label) you can afford.  If you told me you had 5 to 10k - I don't think you are going to make much of a dent in the SA keys these days and thus will not be happy.  As you should know you are buying during a very hot streak (not the smartest time to buy IMO :eyeroll:).  Golden Age has many choices - so you have to know your GA niche and maybe stay devoted to it while working within a budget (assuming you have one).  Seeking advice on this publicly like you have indicates you might have to sit back and observe for awhile before diving in.  All in all - I would not recommend anyone getting into SA keys now because you are paying premium prices.  A lot of collectors jumping in very late now are trying to make up for lost time / missed opportunities and I think that unwise.  My 2 cents. :preach:

40 minutes ago, Roger66 said:

The real question I have for you is how much money are you prepared to drop today?  :ph34r:  If you told me you had 50k disposable income and you don't mind buying SA keys and holding them for awhile (perhaps a couple of years at least if not longer)  - I might steer you into a mid-grade X-MEN1 and mid-grade TOS39 and with your approx 5k change I would buy whatever nice looking lower grade Hulk 181 (blue label) you can afford.  If you told me you had 5 to 10k - I don't think you are going to make much of a dent in the SA keys these days and thus will not be happy.  As you should know you are buying during a very hot streak (not the smartest time to buy IMO :eyeroll:).  Golden Age has many choices - so you have to know your GA niche and maybe stay devoted to it while working within a budget (assuming you have one).  Seeking advice on this publicly like you have indicates you might have to sit back and observe for awhile before diving in.  All in all - I would not recommend anyone getting into SA keys now because you are paying premium prices.  A lot of collectors jumping in very late now are trying to make up for lost time / missed opportunities and I think that unwise.  My 2 cents. :preach:

I agree with everything you stated.  I am closer to your option #2 at the moment, and like you mentioned having $10-15K currently really doesn't get you much in the way of SA keys these days.  Thats the one reason I redirected my attention towards GA books. The niche thing may be an issue with me because there are just so many awesome covers from that era, so maybe that could be my niche, GA books with awesome covers. LOL. When, and if SA keys decide to level off or at least cool-off some I can nibble on a few then.

36 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

I agree with everything you stated.  I am closer to your option #2 at the moment, and like you mentioned having $10-15K currently really doesn't get you much in the way of SA keys these days.  Thats the one reason I redirected my attention towards GA books. The niche thing may be an issue with me because there are just so many awesome covers from that era, so maybe that could be my niche, GA books with awesome covers. LOL. When, and if SA keys decide to level off or at least cool-off some I can nibble on a few then.

If your not looking for a quick flip I would think really carefully about what would really make you happy. 

Weather it's $5k, $10k or $50k we are talking about a significant amount of $$. And like any other investment you run the risk of the value going down (which seems hard to believe with how comics have gone for the last decade). 

If you have no real love for GA, then I would figure out where you fit into SA. $5k to $10k can still get you into most SA books in some form.  It can get you an awfully nice Avengers 1 even in this crazy market. 

I guess my point is, buy something you'll really enjoy owning. If it's SA Marvel keys, then go after your favorite character understanding the market is high and it may dip and not fully recover for years.  

And it's not like GA books are in a recession. Every book I'm interested in seems to be on fire! 

Edited by KCOComics

1 minute ago, KCOComics said:

If your not looking for a quick flip I would think really carefully about what would really make happy. 

Weather it's $5k, $10k or $50k we are talking about a significant amount of $$. And like any other investment you run the risk of the value going down (which seems hard to believe with how comics have gone for the last decade). 

If you have no real love for GA, then I would figure out where you fit into SA. $5k to $10k can still get you into most SA books in some form.  It can get you an awfully nice Avengers 1 even in this crazy market. 

I guess my point is, buy something you'll really enjoy owning. If it's SA Marvel keys, then go after your favorite character understanding the market is high and it may dip and not fully recover for years.  

And it's not like GA books are in a recession. Every book I'm interested in seems to be on fire! 

Actually, I probably like the GA books better than the SA.  I am more familiar with the characters and stories of the SA, because that is what I grew up reading. I probably won't limit myself to one genre or another at the moment, because I like both, but will most likely wait on some of the keys. I just bought a Hulk 113 the other night in the C-link auction, so its not like I have to purchase one or the other, I'm just going to buy what I like from both, unless of course what I like has increased 800% in six months.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Actually, I probably like the GA books better than the SA.  I am more familiar with the characters and stories of the SA, because that is what I grew up reading. I probably won't limit myself to one genre or another at the moment, because I like both, but will most likely wait on some of the keys. I just bought a Hulk 113 the other night in the C-link auction, so its not like I have to purchase one or the other, I'm just going to buy what I like from both, unless of course what I like has increased 800% in six months.

Yeah, I have certain SA goals and I get excited for the big books, but GA books are what I really get excited about.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, PovertyRow said:

Interestingly, there is such a thing as a Church Club, and a Mile High Club.

Don't you ever get confused between the two ?!

On 3/29/2021 at 9:02 PM, PovertyRow said:

Considering the disaster that was "Mile High II", I really hope old Chuck wasn't looking to recreate the Church colection!

I agree. Edgar Church, lovingly put together and kept intact probably the best collection of all time. No slam on Chuck. He was in the right place at the right time. A poor hippie with the vision and smarts to come up with the money  to buy the collection. But Church deserves the honor of having the collection named in his honor. 

20 minutes ago, fishbone said:

low-grade, intact Schomburg covers ..... that would be my advice. But probably because I LOVE them !!!!!!!! and figure how could anyone not love them.

I think you could start a nice little niche collection with 10-15K doing this

my 2 cents

I thought the same thing MANY years ago. I loved those crazy covers by Schomburg on the Timelys. But the prices were mostly out of my meager means. Once I discovered Nedors, I was all in. I bought as many as I could find in any condition and loved and kept them. Even lower grade copies have gotton crazy now. 

My 2c

Buy what you like and look towards genres that are currently unpopular (e.g. funny animal, westerns with notable exceptions). There are bargains and LOTS of fun books under $50 out there.

That's worked extremely well for me over the years. But, I try to be a black hole for comics I put in my personal collection and have been seriously collecting since the early '90s. :preach:

On 3/30/2021 at 8:58 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

I wasn't necessarily looking for investment advice.  But, I was looking to start re-collecting again. The original plan was to buy a few SA keys, but the recent crazy run-ups have priced me out of that plan for now.  I have always had a special interest in GA books, there's just something about those beautiful covers that can't be replicated even with all of todays technology. If the GA books I end up purchasing increase in value thats all well and good, but I'm not buying them to re-sell or flip, just trying to find a starting point, thats closer to the floor than the ceiling. 

Fawcett's can still be a bargain right now (but Mary Marvel covers are slowly pullig up to Whiz and Master prices 

Teen Humor has cooled a bit, that's also a good starting point, as are some of its distant cousin genre Romance comics (still room for this genre to reach PCH levels of desirability 

Funny Animal (with some exceptions Barks Ducks for example) 

Other publishers like Charlton, Ajax, ME, lot of opportunities there as well.

Happy hunting