• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bound Volume Comics

9 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

What are the usual condition of bound comics?  Are the spines of the comics usually spilt to insert into the hard copy book? Are the comics glued into the book?

The ones I have seen are usually sown together. There can be glue as well. Oddly, the part that pisses me off the most about bound comics is that many are also trimmed after. 

Hmmm.....:smirk:.  Didn't think about the trimming aspect of fitting the larger sized comic into a smaller bound periodical.   Is this true for all bound comics or just certain ones?  I see several that look as if they are from the 50's or 60's bound...... wondered if these would have received the same trim job as later bound comics?

29 minutes ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Hmmm.....:smirk:.  Didn't think about the trimming aspect of fitting the larger sized comic into a smaller bound periodical.   Is this true for all bound comics or just certain ones?

I'm pretty sure I've seen one or two that were not trimmed. 

Most, but not all, are trimmed. And that makes sense, really, because the bulk of the bound volumes were produced from relatively early books (GA/SA, certainly). Go look at those books. It's sometimes a challenge to find two of them that have matching production cuts, to say nothing of the weird dimension copies or trapezoid cuts when the blades got out of alignment.

10 hours ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Hmmm.....:smirk:.  Didn't think about the trimming aspect of fitting the larger sized comic into a smaller bound periodical.   Is this true for all bound comics or just certain ones?  I see several that look as if they are from the 50's or 60's bound...... wondered if these would have received the same trim job as later bound comics?

From what I have encountered I would say at least 90% of bound books have trimming. That's your  big detractor here, not what was done to have them bound.

27 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

From what I have encountered I would say at least 90% of bound books have trimming. That's your  big detractor here, not what was done to have them bound.

Oh, so they weren't trimmed to be bound, but trimmed before being bound?