• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel To Distribute Direct Via Penguin Random House

56 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, the blob said:

My 9 year old was pretty obsessed with it a couple of years ago. Some of his friends were. It is more about getting chase cards than playing, although he would play a little. What a waste of money though. The chase cards have probably been trashed by now.

The 15 year old was similar at 9. Last year his main exercise was Pokeman go and wandering around. He'd get like 10,000 steps in during his hunting sessions.

COVID taking them out of school for a year might be why they haven’t learned about it on the playground yet. I see the card isle at Target but never walk down it and the kids usually don’t go shopping with me because I have a standard cab pickup and just don’t have room for kids AND groceries. 

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

COVID taking them out of school for a year might be why they haven’t learned about it on the playground yet. I see the card isle at Target but never walk down it and the kids usually don’t go shopping with me because I have a standard cab pickup and just don’t have room for kids AND groceries. 

yeah, for the last year the 9 year old has pretty much been influenced by youtubers I would like to murder

On 3/27/2021 at 4:21 PM, ttfitz said:

At least this time around, retailers won't have to add a new distributor if they don't want to:

"Under the terms of the new arrangement, Diamond Comics Distributors will order stock through Penguin Random House for distribution to Direct Market retailers. Diamond will now manage their own prices on Marvel goods for retailers who decide to order through them instead of through Penguin Random House."

This is very important for comic shops outside of the USA (e.g. Canada, UK), as postage and partial boxes from another distributor in the USA would cost a fortune each week crossing the border.

On 3/26/2021 at 7:29 AM, Prince Namor said:

Be careful what you wish for.

If your LCS (most comic shops) orders less than $5k (US funds) per month from Marvel Comics then their Diamond discount will drop to 40% off retail. Next Diamond Marvel discount tier is 44% off retail sticker.

On 3/25/2021 at 6:36 PM, Mercury Man said:

When I talk to any shop owner, none have anything good to say about Diamond.  Maybe a change is needed after all. 

Not having anything at all to do with the new comic book market scene, but it does seem that Diamond has a somewhat adversarial relationship which is definitely not the wisest approach to be taking, especially when they are really your only customers.  doh!

Speaking from a long term collector's point of view though, definitely not something good to see because Geppi himself has always been a strong supporter of the vintage comic book hobby place and has certainly been willing to throw some of his Diamond sourced money at it.  :applause:

On 5/21/2021 at 2:42 PM, lou_fine said:

doh!

Speaking from a long term collector's point of view though, definitely not something good to see because Geppi himself has always been a strong supporter of the vintage comic book hobby place and has certainly been willing to throw some of his Diamond sourced money at it.  :applause:

Penguin Random House ships non-9.8 new Marvel Comics to your LCS:

On 3/29/2021 at 11:25 AM, the blob said:

My 9 year old was pretty obsessed with it a couple of years ago. Some of his friends were. It is more about getting chase cards than playing, although he would play a little. What a waste of money though. The chase cards have probably been trashed by now.

The 15 year old was similar at 9. Last year his main exercise was Pokeman go and wandering around. He'd get like 10,000 steps in during his hunting sessions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU5yrCbhyRR/?fbclid=IwAR1GRstNqZvKB6b7G9d8YmzC7_7v9FrRX9SfRv67gxXLYJBb3Pxt9W4lFeM

On 3/2/2022 at 9:17 AM, Poekaymon said:

Not a big fan of Zach Snyder in general, but I think these are the best opening credits of any movie.  Runners up: Se7en and The Shining.

really struck me.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:46 PM, Prince Namor said:

It was not a good thing. Diamond’s days are numbered. 

I’m sensing a possible resurgence of 90’s bad girl indy comics! Diamond can solicit books every month that ship every 8 months again!