• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has there been a substantial increase in the number of serious comic book collectors?
1 1

104 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Yes.  There is someone currently doing that with Snow Serpent GI Joe figures.  He has admitted in the FB group that he actively buys every one he can find just to see what happens to the market price.    There are a couple of guys doing the same thing with Cobra B.A.T.S. figures.  Anytime one comes to auction you are competing with these guys. 

Gator also said that he believes he was behind the surge in value of Superman 14 as he was buying up every one of those he could get his hands on and holding them. 

How is this destroying the value????

12 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

How is this destroying the value????

You are correct.  I took it to be in almost a slang term. Like destroy as in push boundaries well past the fair market price. 

I don't know how anyone buying up all of something, reducing the supply would depreciate the value.

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

You are correct.  I took it to be in almost a slang term. Like destroy as in push boundaries well past the fair market price. 

I don't know how anyone buying up all of something, reducing the supply would depreciate the value.

Based on some board members hoarding certain issues, it definitely drives the price up.

2 hours ago, kav said:

It's merely a thought experiment like Einstein used to develop his theories of relativity.  A man in a space ship travelling at the speed of light is also senseless but the thought experiment was fruitful for understanding.

If we replace all of Kav's parts, one part at a time, until none of Kav's original parts remain, is it still Kav?  If not, at what point did it cease being Kav?

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

If we replace all of Kav's parts, one part at a time, until none of Kav's original parts remain, is it still Kav?  If not, at what point did it cease being Kav?

Anubis did that to Set in Creatures of Light and darkness-he never ceased being Set the Destroyer.

On the other hand, I just looked at the Ha.com historical auction prices for Green Lantern 76 in 9.6 (don’t have data points for a 9.8.  It looks like it has dropped or stayed the same price over the last ten years.  Same from what I see in GPA.  Not a lot of data points, and I know dc isn’t marvel, but it seems like a key book that comic collectors would want.  I don’t know which has way this cuts.  Are there brand new collectors that might simply have no interest in the character or social importance?  Or is it a book that simply isn’t being hyped as the next 10 bagger.  Maybe it would be easier to ask in a different way.  It is easy to seeAssume we are 

Thanks for these answers.  I am not involved in social media much.  I think things make a lot more sense when thinking about what I have been hearing recently going on in Facebook and Instagram.  I get if a whole generation of people has made money on bitcoin and are looking for the next big thing how things could explode like this.

6 minutes ago, inovrmihd said:

On the other hand, I just looked at the Ha.com historical auction prices for Green Lantern 76 in 9.6 (don’t have data points for a 9.8.  It looks like it has dropped or stayed the same price over the last ten years.  Same from what I see in GPA.  Not a lot of data points, and I know dc isn’t marvel, but it seems like a key book that comic collectors would want.  I don’t know which has way this cuts.  Are there brand new collectors that might simply have no interest in the character or social importance?  Or is it a book that simply isn’t being hyped as the next 10 bagger.  Maybe it would be easier to ask in a different way.  It is easy to seeAssume we are 

Seems like the speculators focus on the obvious books hulk 181 the 2nd app of wolferine, ASM 300, 50 etc.
Technically GL 76 isnt the first app of anything.   It's my personal grail but I will never buy it.  Bought mine off the rack but donated it to Kneel Atoms back in the 70s when Jeanette Kahn made a call out for books because apparently Atoms never acquired any of his books.

Edited by kav

3 minutes ago, inovrmihd said:

It's gone up in lower to mid grades, seems to fluctuate fairly frequently. But I think I got my 6.5 for about $254, so I'm pretty happy, but its still a long hold for me.

Thanks though, I dont have GPA, so it's nice to hear market news that isnt just fire. Seems silver age DC has picked up or maybe leveled, I'm sure ba will follow

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's gone up in lower to mid grades, seems to fluctuate fairly frequently. But I think I got my 6.5 for about $254, so I'm pretty happy, but its still a long hold for me.

You can hold what you want!

( @greggy-your move)

Edited by kav

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks though, I dont have GPA, so it's nice to hear market news that isnt just fire. Seems silver age DC has picked up or maybe leveled, I'm sure ba will follow

That's what she said. 

Interesting,so there might be a way to persuade people to buy stuff that dont matter like hulk rookie cards,to usurp the market in the direction we want so real key become less hot,mmmm interesting

source.gif

8 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I'm seeing an influx of collectors that I describe as "those kids on their cell phones using the Robinhood App to purchase Tesla and Bitcoin".  I see them in my other collecting interests too...not just comics.  I wouldn't characterize them as "gamblers" per se, but they are more like "buy it because it's moving" investors.  They don't consider the fundamentals (i.e., Tesla is now worth more than all of the other car companies combined), but instead only focus on momentum.  Essentially, they are focusing only on the Demand side of the equation, with no regard to supply (e.g., there are a lot of Spidey #300s out there).  So my response is to be a contrarian, and focus on buying things that are rarer (and perhaps on the fringe of being a key).

Well said.

56 minutes ago, inovrmihd said:

stay away from DC, other than batman. most of the comic hype relates to the MCU and thats why its all about marvel books. batman is an honorary marvel character.