• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Inconsistancies

26 posts in this topic

Finally Got the Rainbow Chunkachu finalized this morning and to my surprise it got a 9? because the centering got a 9 and surface got a 9 I was aware going in that surface would take a hit but the centering was flawless below I have 2 submissions a month apart both received sub grade 9 how ever the pikachu has clearly better centering. the photos should be labeled but the 2 on the right are pikachu, and the other 2 on the left are my charizard. will someone please explain to me why the both have the 9 centering sub grade when pikachu is clearly better?

Pikachu Front.PNG

Pikachu Back.PNG

Charizard Front.PNG

Charizard Back.PNG

Pika looks a little thinner on the left than the right, maybe a hair more so on the back. 

Honestly, they both do. CGC definitely isn't 60/40 like PSA claims on their centering. It's HARD to get a 9.5 or a 10 on centering. I believe they use computer imaging for their centering, and the tolerances are tight. I have wondered if the rainbow cards might be harder to get 10s on because the borders aren't clearly defined all the way around the card, but with the number that they grade you've got a lot of data available to validate and arrange expectations around. 

1 minute ago, C Boyd said:

the Charizard for sure was heavy left to right, the Pikachu is better though for sure and received the same grade I don't  see how though. thank you for though for the response.

I agree. I bet the Pika is about a hair away from a 9.5 centering. I'd crack it and slip it back in on another submission, lol.

Im thinking of resubmitting it I believe it should have got the 9.5 centering, I know that CGC pristine and perfect 10's are extremely difficult to get I am happy with a 9.5 that I believe the card deservers. that being said BGS is in my backyard so I might try them depending on what Paul says

8 minutes ago, bubbles520 said:

The back of the pika looks twisted. Not sure if that counts towards centering.

The zard, to me, has a twisted back. I see a thin top + left on the pika's back. I prefer the centering on the pika in my eyes, NA cards and their wonky cuts...

I also think Pika is rotated on the back. In my opinion probably won't regrade to a 9.5 for centering, looking at the back, the top right corner is noticeably thicker than the bottom right corner.

If you do decide to regrade please make an update. I'm interested in how they grade cards with rotated centering as they continue to become more common

Unlikely 7 I have sent to card back in to be a regraded, I spoke with a cgc representative and they think the card could grade higher they are paying the regrade fee and shipping. The card shows received in the system as of this morning

On 4/9/2021 at 12:34 PM, C Boyd said:

Unlikely 7 I have sent to card back in to be a regraded, I spoke with a cgc representative and they think the card could grade higher they are paying the regrade fee and shipping. The card shows received in the system as of this morning

I'm just seeing this, but good luck! I hope you get that 9.5 :)

I have no experience on these full arts so I am guessing here:

Is the centering a bit high? I am using the text at the bottom as reference since we don't have a top border to compare to.

When looking at the Charizard posted after, the text is more centered on the bottom border.

I don't know if that's a legit way about centering with these full sizes. It could be the text is not suppose to be centered within the bottom border for the card to be centered.

21 minutes ago, C Boyd said:

should have the results later today or tomorrow has been in QC grading for the past 2 days

Stoked to see how yours goes cuz mine looks nearly identical w/ a 9 grade as well and I want to send it back in. A 9.5 Centering bumps this to a Gem Mint, and I'd put my card up against almost any 9.5 I've seen on the open market!!

There's 3 of us on this forum with this same exact concern on the same Pikachu Vmax card. 

image.thumb.png.04e75d27ba223108b6d618437a0c63ab.png

1 hour ago, PokemanDude90 said:

Stoked to see how yours goes cuz mine looks nearly identical w/ a 9 grade as well and I want to send it back in. A 9.5 Centering bumps this to a Gem Mint, and I'd put my card up against almost any 9.5 I've seen on the open market!!

There's 3 of us on this forum with this same exact concern on the same Pikachu Vmax card. 

image.thumb.png.04e75d27ba223108b6d618437a0c63ab.png

The border on these full arts should actually be slightly thinner on the bottom/top  than the sides I believe. Wonder if it's because it isn't as thick it gets knocked? 🤔