• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Inconsistancies

42 posts in this topic

Finally Got the Rainbow Chunkachu finalized this morning and to my surprise it got a 9? because the centering got a 9 and surface got a 9 I was aware going in that surface would take a hit but the centering was flawless below I have 2 submissions a month apart both received sub grade 9 how ever the pikachu has clearly better centering. the photos should be labeled but the 2 on the right are pikachu, and the other 2 on the left are my charizard. will someone please explain to me why the both have the 9 centering sub grade when pikachu is clearly better?

Pikachu Front.PNG

Pikachu Back.PNG

Charizard Front.PNG

Charizard Back.PNG

This isn't necessarily about 10 I just want to understand where they are pulling the numbers yes if I went to PSA the card is gonna get a 10 hands down but I didn't go with PSA for that reason I just want my cards graded fairly and clearly that was not the case here. If their is no response from someone within CGC before it arrives at my doorstep I will take it to BGS still not a Black label and thats ok but over all with subs the card should have received a 9.5 overall and at least a 9.5 centering looking at other cards that were graded recently. 

1 hour ago, Mephisto said:

You guys just need to crack and submit to PSA. Then you can get your 10’s a lot easier and don’t have to worry about subgrades since there is no option to do so with them.

I think you're missing the point. That cgc 7 above was graded 9.5 centering, yet it is visibly less well centered than the other card which has a 9 on centering. Inconsistent. Arbitrary. That's why PSA never did or will do subgrades, it shows exactly how subjective grading is.

Edited by UncSven

Just now, UncSven said:

I think you're missing the point. That cgc 7 above was graded 9.5 centering, yet it is visibly less well centered than the other card which has a 9 on centering. Inconsistent. Arbitrary. That's why PSA never did or will do subgrades, it shows exactly how subjective grading is.

send the same card 4 times, and you'll get entirely different grades each time

1 minute ago, UncSven said:

send the same card 4 times, and you'll get entirely different grades each time

I actually had both the secret charizard and pikachu at the same time and decided to grade the charizard psa, and the pikachu with cgc. The charizard got a 10.

image0(1).jpeg

22 minutes ago, UncSven said:

No, I’m not missing anything. Your follow up posts support what I said in my original post. 

8 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Real Response: Yeah, while I do not have any pokemon cards, I am not sold yet on sending any sports cards to CGC right now for every reason that you have pointed out.  

CGC Comics Response:  I would just crack and press and see if that helps. 

23 hours ago, Mephisto said:

No, I’m not missing anything. Your follow up posts support what I said in my original post. 

No, I'm sure you are. You're ignoring the evidence, and pretending we're just crying that we didn't get 10's that you don't think we deserve. You're missing the point. The grades are essentially arbitrary, with no visible objective reasoning. compare those cards, and take your head out of your .

I think people are getting hung up on the numbers. Its obvious that a 10 to CGC is FLAWLESS. Under as microscope kind of flawless. I think if something is visually to the naked eye perfect and it gets a 9/9.5. I think thats pretty accurate. Also theres no way of knowing how they grade centering on a card that is nearly borderless on one side.

As an experiment I took your scan and took it into a photo editing program to see exactly how it stacked up. This is my finding. The sides are all different sizes, but barely. Also it seems like the print is a TAD bit tilted. IDK if that affects centering but its indeed not flawless but it is pretty damn close.

1726036537_PikachuBack.thumb.PNG.07b8dfaabd306ceec5b583a99e01b5e7.jpg

17 hours ago, kreativemente said:

I think people are getting hung up on the numbers. Its obvious that a 10 to CGC is FLAWLESS. Under as microscope kind of flawless. I think if something is visually to the naked eye perfect and it gets a 9/9.5. I think thats pretty accurate. Also theres no way of knowing how they grade centering on a card that is nearly borderless on one side.

As an experiment I took your scan and took it into a photo editing program to see exactly how it stacked up. This is my finding. The sides are all different sizes, but barely. Also it seems like the print is a TAD bit tilted. IDK if that affects centering but its indeed not flawless but it is pretty damn close.

1726036537_PikachuBack.thumb.PNG.07b8dfaabd306ceec5b583a99e01b5e7.jpg

Is centering on the back that important to them? lol...