• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When would you send a follow up email?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I've always found this a little awkward... I don't like to harass an artist, but I also find sometimes artists miss messages and are actually happy I send a follow up.

In this case, I sent Tom Mandrake an email five days ago ( Monday the 22nd) asking about a purchasing a couple commissions according to the rates on his site, and I haven't gotten a response yet. I'm not going to send a follow up this weekend because I think its too soon, but I might in another week or two if I don't hear back.

I get a little antsy until a mutual dialogue is started. I'm also totally fine with a 'hey i'm busy try me again next month' or something, as long as I can be kept in the loop.Once I've heard from ana trust I try to be quite patient.

Another instance, I contacted Kyle Hotz about buying pages. I was polite and brief, as I knew he was very busy... After my 3rd message (waiting 2 -3 weeks in between) he responded for the first time saying he'd seen my first message and intended to respond before getting busy and forgetting, and then he totally missed my second message. He said he was glad I kept following up. I got two of my favorite pages ever and he got a nice chunk of dough. I don't think I would have sent a 4th message, so i'm glad it worked out.

These instances got me thinking... how does everyone handle the follow up process? Its a little different whether its a commission request, checking in on an already paid for commission, or trying to purchase some pages... but do you have any personal strategies? I should say the obvious one here is to try to be respectful...

Edit: I'm specifically referring to situations when an artist has not responded, or when communication seems to have stalled at an awkward time in the process and when an artist has not otherwise declared themselves unavailable. 

Edited by babsrocks31

The artist's looking for commission work, so you're not exactly harassing him if you send gentle reminders that you're still interested in hiring him.  Just keep your messages polite and courteous, as I'm sure you do, and there shouldn't be any problem with that kind of approach.  Personally, I'd limit myself to two gentle reminders if my original enquiry is not responded to (maybe a week or two in-between communications) and leave it at that.

I’ve dealt with Tom on several occasions, and as I recall, after someone else set up that website for him, he was having trouble getting messages. He may not actually have gotten them. He’s too responsible to ignore things, so there must be a good reason if it’s for something different. Check around for another way to reach him, if you can.

Rick2you2 is correct. Many artists have someone build the website for them. If artists are offering work for sale or commissioning for hire it’s ok to follow up a few times.

However as Rick2you2 pointed out they may not see the message. Is there an alternative contact Avenue?

Im sure you’ll start a dialogue soon. 
🍇 🦍 

9 hours ago, babsrocks31 said:

Thanks folks. I noticed Tom has two sites, so I'll try the email from the other site next (although it looks possibly outdated).

The other site is the one he had gotten used to using. Probably your best bet.

11 hours ago, RBerman said:

All the "Buy Stuff" links at his web site are dead: http://www.tommandrake.com/buystuff/

The "Buy" links at Jan Duursema's web site are similarly afflicted: http://www.janduursema.com/

This other web site has some nice looking work he's done but no store: https://tmandrake.artstation.com/projects

Lord. Lot of outdated sites. This is I guess the 3rd, most current website. 

https://tommandrake.wixsite.com/tom-mandrake

I commissioned him a few years back emailing through this site, no issues. And I know whenever he posts new art for sale on Twitter, this is the website he links to.