• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moondog's Pop Culture Radio Hour - Peter David Sounds Off on the Upcoming Debate with Todd McFarlane

15 posts in this topic

Episode 2 of Moondog’s Pop Culture Radio Hour is available now!

Back in the fall of 1993 the biggest news in comics was the upcoming debate between two friends of mine: Peter David and Todd McFarlane. It would take place on October 8 at ComicFest in Philadelphia. Basically Todd and his Image Comics brothers thought that the emphasis on, and popularity of, writers was misplaced and that artists were the real stars when it came to the creation of comic books.

Peter, at the time one of the most popular and prolific writers in the business, as well as Todd’s old creative partner on the Incredible Hulk, wrote some critical (and factual) comments about Image in his Comics Buyer’s Guide column. That led to Todd challenging Peter to a debate that would settle the question once and for all.

Well, I was there and Peter won the debate handily. Todd came out on the stage like a prize fighter in trunks and a robe. Peter wore a suit and tie. It was the kind of theatrics that unfortunately have no place in today’s button-down, business-first comic book industry.

Two weeks before the great debate Peter was interviewed on the Moondog’s Pop Culture Radio Hour show. It’s a great interview – especially when he’s explaining what his strategy will be.  Listen and enjoy.

All of the Moondog’s Pop Culture Radio Hour shows and more blasts from the past are available at my new website: www.moondogbuyscomics.com.

Peter.jpg

Todd.jpg

1 hour ago, Moondog said:

Back in the fall of 1993 the biggest news in comics was the upcoming debate between two friends of mine: Peter David and Todd McFarlane. It would take place on October 8 at ComicFest in Philadelphia.

I also attended this debate, quite an interesting show. Despite all the theatrics, what I took away from it was the feeling that Todd had gotten his feelings hurt by his old partner. Towards the end it seemed like Todd was sort of looking for guidance, that he looked up to Peter.

Then again, it's been nearly 30 years and I'm probably just a senile old man. lol

3 hours ago, Moondog said:

Back in the fall of 1993 the biggest news in comics was the upcoming debate between two friends of mine: Peter David and Todd McFarlane. It would take place on October 8 at ComicFest in Philadelphia. Basically Todd and his Image Comics brothers thought that the emphasis on, and popularity of, writers was misplaced and that artists were the real stars when it came to the creation of comic books.

Peter, at the time one of the most popular and prolific writers in the business, as well as Todd’s old creative partner on the Incredible Hulk, wrote some critical (and factual) comments about Image in his Comics Buyer’s Guide column. That led to Todd challenging Peter to a debate that would settle the question once and for all.

Well, I was there and Peter won the debate handily. Todd came out on the stage like a prize fighter in trunks and a robe. Peter wore a suit and tie. It was the kind of theatrics that unfortunately have no place in today’s button-down, business-first comic book industry.

Two weeks before the great debate Peter was interviewed on the Moondog’s Pop Culture Radio Hour show. It’s a great interview – especially when he’s explaining what his strategy will be.  Listen and enjoy.

All of the Moondog’s Pop Culture Radio Hour shows and more blasts from the past are available at my new website: www.moondogbuyscomics.com.

Peter.jpg

Todd.jpg

Why is McFarlane shirtless?

3 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Why is McFarlane shirtless?

McFarlane was trying to nipple with the argument with his (former) bud!  He also wanted to spare David having to imagine his opponent in his underwear!  :wink: When David was hurting for dough some years ago he should've asked Todd for a few bucks!  

9 hours ago, Moondog said:

Peter.jpg

Todd.jpg

Does anyone remover or have this from the event ?

image.jpg

When the Image guys were on the convention circuit, they came off as being very self-indulgent psuedo-rock stars. More than once, they created chaos by tossing highly desired gold edition books into crowds and laughing at the scrums they created.

I was only 13 when this happened but remember being flabbergasted at it. It posed as being all in good fun but I thought some of the people involved took themselves too seriously and this is when the Wizard era was really cooking up and, I think, boosting up comic professionals who thought they were genuine superstars and bad boys. See also: the online behavior of Mark Waid, who often speaks like a tough guy when he is, in reality, anything but. McFarlane was shirtless because he attempted to come out in a boxing robe and boxing trunks and attempted to play the 'Rocky' theme but the sound system failed. Nothing ever got solved from this 'debate', really- if you were already for or against one of the two debating, you likely stayed on the side you started on. I did think it would start ongoing and civil 'debates' which might actually be a good and productive thing for conventions if handled well.