• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad luck sometimes, but it turned out okay.

7 posts in this topic

I don't know, it might be nice to hear some experiences you've had with the hobby that while at first weren't positive, but turned out okay in the end. I was thinking about the time I was going to sell someone on the forum a group of Star Wars Comics maybe 10 years ago. Had them all boarded and packaged ready to go, when he innocently commented on his admiration for punishment bids. He got roasted by a lot of people on the forum that didn't agree. I foolishly got involved and because he didn't like my comments he cancelled the sale. So I thought, it's okay. There will come a time when I'll be glad he cancelled the sale. So, because everything was already packaged and ready to go, I thought I'd leave it that way until yesterday when I finally opened up the box to see what I didn't sell. And there it was, a (what I think is at least a 9.4) raw copy of Star Wars 42. 

So, if anyone had experienced some bad luck in the hobby that turned out to be okay, please share.

Edited by ninanina

Back in January I bought a copy of GSX1 CGC 9.2 from a board member for $4250.  Unfortunately, the book came with some slab damage and he agreed to return it.  An unfortunate situation for both of us at the time.  The next week that book started it's epic climb.  I'm sure the seller was bummed at the time, but in the weeks since then the book has more than doubled in value :)

Hey, glad those worked out. Had a feeling there were some interesting stories out there. Someone told me (quite recently actually), time heals many not so good decisions and/or situations you run into collecting, and both experiences just goes to show...he was right. 

Last year around this time I seriously contemplated selling of the a chunk of the higher end books in my collection (including X-Men 1 up with all the keys, many more books).  I had a (what was at the time) decent offer from someone just over the border, then COVID hit and I was unable to cross over.  I put everything on hold...now a lot of the books are worth double, triple and more.  Heck, my X-Men 1 has about tripled in value.