• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paramount's TRANSFORMERS ONE animated movie starring Chris Hemsworth (7/19/2024)
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Marco Ramirez, the showrunner of Netflix’s Marvel show The Defenders, is set to write the --script while Angel Manuel Soto, who directed last year’s teen drama Charm City Kings, is attached to direct.

Logline details are being kept deep in the circuits of Cybertron, but it is known that the project is being developed apart from the universe of the main line of Transformers films that Paramount has been making since 2007. The studio, along with eOne, is now in active duty on a seventh Transformers project, being directed by Creed II helmer Stephen Caple Jr. The line includes five Michael Bay-directed movies plus the Bumblebee spinoff directed by Travis Knight.

The project is in early development and it is unclear who will produce. It is expected that Lorenzo di Bonaventura, Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto, who have acted as producers on all the film projects, will be involved.

Paramount had no comment.

The new stand-alone shows Paramount’s intent to develop a range of Transformers projects as it seeks to dig deeper into the IP’s well as the new age of movie watching includes not just a big-screen outing every two or three years but higher output and across more delivery channels, including its newly rebooted streaming service, Paramount+.

The project also shows Paramount is seeking diverse voices to make the brand more resonant with modern audiences.

Ramirez worked on shows such as FX’s Sons of Anarchy and Netflix’s Daredevil, the latter of which allowed him to leap to co-showrunner and co-creator status on Defenders, which acted as a culmination of sorts for the Marvel shows that included Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and Daredevil. He is repped by UTA.

Soto’s Charm City premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2020 and was released on HBO Max in October. The well-regarded drama has been a door-opener for the filmmaker, who recently booked the coveted gig of directing Blue Beetle for Warner Bros. and DC. He is repped by CAA and Redefine Entertainment.

Today at CinemaCon, Paramount announced Transformers: One, a new, animated prequel that will feature a star-studded lineup of voice talent playing younger iterations of the characters, from the days before Optimus Prime and Megatron were the leaders of the Autobots and Decepticons. With a title that's a riff on the Autobot mantra "Till all are one," Transformers: One will star Chris Hemsworth as a young Optimus Prime, Brian Tyree Henry as Megatron, Scarlett Johansson as Elita, Keegan-Michael Key as Bumblebee, Jon Hamm as Sentinel Prime, and Laurence Fishburne as Alpha Trion. 

Toy Story's Josh Cooley is directing the film, from a screenplay by Andrew Barrer and Gabriel Ferrari. It is not clear whether this animated prequel is meant to tie into the events of the current wave of live-action movies, which includes this year's Transformers: Rise of the Beasts. It's unlikely it will have direct ties, though. Even in this era of shared universes, there have been numerous animated projects released since Transformers hit theaters in 2007, and none of them have "counted" in the live-action realm.

"I'm so excited and proud to be working with Hasbro and eOne to bring the first animated Transformers movie to theaters for a never-before-told story," said Ramsey Naito, president of Paramount Animation and Nickelodeon Animation (via Variety). "I'm honored to have such incredible talents come together to portray these well-known and much-loved characters in an origin story at the heart of the franchise."

I've been looking forward to this for years now. I'm suddenly turned off by the big voice cast. That's not what I want from the project. Is that weird? 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:45 PM, Cat said:

I've been looking forward to this for years now. I'm suddenly turned off by the big voice cast. That's not what I want from the project. Is that weird? 

I don't think so.

I've always found animated films a bit odd in that you are there to see the animation/story, however studios think that they need an "A" list actor to do the voice.  Now don't get me wrong some "A" list people have done amazing jobs in voice animation, however to me having an "A" list actor do the voice work isn't really that much of a draw.  Sometimes it can hurt more than it helps, because if you get an "A" list actor that just talks like his normal voice or even worse like he is known for in the movies then I cannot take it seriously.  For example if Optimus Prime sounds like Thor I've checked out of the moive before it even begins.

On 4/28/2023 at 8:22 PM, media_junkie said:

I don't think so.

I've always found animated films a bit odd in that you are there to see the animation/story, however studios think that they need an "A" list actor to do the voice.  Now don't get me wrong some "A" list people have done amazing jobs in voice animation, however to me having an "A" list actor do the voice work isn't really that much of a draw.  Sometimes it can hurt more than it helps, because if you get an "A" list actor that just talks like his normal voice or even worse like he is known for in the movies then I cannot take it seriously.  For example if Optimus Prime sounds like Thor I've checked out of the moive before it even begins.

Thank you, that's exactly it. All these characters I've followed and loved and for nearly 40 years suddenly will sound like Chris Hemsworth and co, that's just so.... alien and wrong to me. I love the voice actors we've had, the ones we will have, but why do we need big Hollywood stars being themselves? I want Optimus Prime as Optimus Prime, not Big Person X  doing a poor rendition of Big Person X as Big Person X as Optimus Prime. 

Edited by Cat

On 4/28/2023 at 9:18 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Hemsworth doesn't seem like a good fit for Optimus to me...

This sounds like when he's just gone from Orion Pax to Optimus, so..... yeah, I still can't see it either. 

On 4/27/2023 at 10:45 PM, Cat said:

I'm with you.  It's animated and if I'm hearing Thor when Optimus speaks, that may be a turn off.  I don't see the problem with professional voice actors unless the studios & producers feel they need a "name" to attach so people will come see it.  Transformers has been going on in some fashion since 1984 so I wouldn't think having big names attached would be necessary but I don't get paid to make those decisions.  I am interested in the character designs and how Cybertron will look.  Hell, from the 2018 Bumblebee film, I was all in on those Cybertron scenes.  I'll wait to see how it looks with some promo footage or character/scene designs.  

How hard is it to make the actual Transformers movie that everyone wants to see, which is a story with the original stars from the original cartoon with characters that don't look like a metal disaster like the Bayverse does? The first 5 minutes of Bumblebee with everyone on cybertron is what we want.