Question about a marking on the front cover of a Comic - it's not a date

6 posts in this topic

Going through a small collection I just got and several have barcode have a hand-written line through it as seen below. It is like someone marked it with a Sharpie as a Direct Edition. Is this acceptable marking on the cover such as date stamps, or is it going to take a ding from CGC?

Photo attached

165551506_10108645484252060_2062948753163571717_n.jpg

My thinking is that the book would be downgraded for this.  A date stamp was a relatively common part of the distribution/sales of comics for many years.  This is a hand written “slash” through a barcode, entirely different from the date stamps from a previous era IMO.

27 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

My thinking is that the book would be downgraded for this.  A date stamp was a relatively common part of the distribution/sales of comics for many years.  This is a hand written “slash” through a barcode, entirely different from the date stamps from a previous era IMO.

Not sure. I seem to remember a CGC 9.6 Bronze Age comic on sale on e-bay with a small circle on it drawn with a black marker. Wish I could remember which one it was as it was awhile ago. I remember it because I have a 100 page Weird Mystery Tales in similar condition...with a small black circle on it. Made me feel pretty good when I saw it. Just not 100% sure how that compares with a line through the UPC code. 

On 3/27/2021 at 11:16 PM, crazyhips said:

Is this a Whitman variant?  Many of those automatically have the slash through the bar code. 

No, this is Marvel and the slash is hand written.