• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Books Deluxe vs Standard 90s which is more rare?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Covid definitely started me down the collecting rabbit hole again.  I have been going through lots of my old 90s books and reviewed the Marvel debacle which was the Deluxe books.  From November 1994 to April 1996 there appears to be 2 versions of each of the x-men titles.  The Deluxe version which has nicer interior paper for 1.95 and the regular versions for 1.50.  It looks like both the direct market and the newsstand versions seem to exist for each of these, which I seem to vaguely remember.  I was out of HS and going to college at the time so my comic book collecting had fallen off.  

Did they do Deluxe for other titles outside of x-books? 

I know the Newsstands are more rare than the direct, but I am wondering if there is any evidence if the normal version were ordered more because they were cheaper, or if the deluxe versions were ordered more? 

The Newsstand ones all appear to have the Still Only 1.50 markings on them.  

Has this been covered in other threads which I have been unsuccessful in finding? 

I love reviewing comic book history the 90s produced some much variance it is interesting to see which stuff was truly rare which may have gone under appreciated for the time period.   

Just now, dzbad said:

Covid definitely started me down the collecting rabbit hole again.  I have been going through lots of my old 90s books and reviewed the Marvel debacle which was the Deluxe books.  From November 1994 to April 1996 there appears to be 2 versions of each of the x-men titles.  The Deluxe version which has nicer interior paper for 1.95 and the regular versions for 1.50.  It looks like both the direct market and the newsstand versions seem to exist for each of these, which I seem to vaguely remember.  I was out of HS and going to college at the time so my comic book collecting had fallen off.  

I know the Newsstands are more rare than the direct, but I am wondering if there is any evidence if the normal version were ordered more because they were cheaper, or if the deluxe versions were ordered more? 

Has this been covered in other threads which I have been unsuccessful in finding? 

I love reviewing comic book history the 90s produced some much variance it is interesting to see which stuff was truly rare which may have gone under appreciated for the time period.   

I was actively buying books at this time, and I don’t remember this deluxe gimmick being used on any other titles except x-books. 

2 hours ago, dzbad said:

This topic was covered in this thread, despite the OP's intention and poor premise.

Key points:

1. Only X-titles

2. All Newsstands were Deluxe before AoA, but some titles changed to Deluxe Direct/regular Newsstand after

3. Non-Deluxe (Directs) were not released at the same time as the Deluxe and were dropped with the beginning of AoA

The Deluxe editions are definitely more common, but there's no way to know by how much. The regular editions aren't really rare. I have a bunch without ever intentionally seeking them out.

1 hour ago, Dr. Dank said:

The only non deluxe books I bought were the newsstand versions of Phalanx Covenant 

Phalanx Covenant was just before they began the Deluxe editions and the Newsstand editions of that crossover were enhanced.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Phalanx Covenant was just before they began the Deluxe editions and the Newsstand editions of that crossover were enhanced.

Yeah, forgot Phalanx was before AoA.

Have the entire AoA with all side books as well. Not sure the difference between editions 

lol I remember being disappointed in seeing the word "deluxe" on comic whenever they were available,

but

I'll admit growing up, the ones I read, were interesting :shy: wolverine and gambit or the Mystique where it looks like she is nightcrawlers mom and sabretooth was rumored to be Nightcrawler and rogue's father lol might has well been my "Vader moment" as a kid

I never understood (since they said deluxe) if they were "canon" as a kid, I had no idea, and it made me somewhat disappointed for reading such (to me) startling content. Cause I wasn't interested if it was like "what if" 

rantrant:x