• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think of slabbed and unslabbed single comic pages?

9 posts in this topic

I've been seeing slabbed and unslabbed single comic pages for sale. Some pages from keys and just some general GA, SA & BA books.
While I have in the past picked up some complete GA & SA books with no covers. I did for the purpose of reading them as they were
first released instead of reprints.

I'm assuming people are buying incomplete books and pulling them apart and selling single pages.
Can't imagine that someone is pulling apart complete books to part them out. That would be crazy,
but all the power to them if that's their thing.

Wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this..?

Edited by Hiro
Change graded and ungraded to slabbed and unslabbed

35 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this..?

Don't ship them? :frown:

Edited by Domo Arigato

4 hours ago, Domo Arigato said:

Don't ship them? :frown:

Hadn't seen this. I get what he said about the page was Superman
breaking the chains and that's where it started...

Saw the slabbed last page of AF 15 for sale with Peter waking away
and the "With Great Power---There Must Also Come Great Responsibilty"
Iconic and that's where it all started for Spidey fans...

Was tempted 'cause don't think I'll be able to own AF15 in this lifetime...
Hope he gets his page...:wishluck:

Edited by Hiro

16 minutes ago, Hiro said:

Hope he gets his page...:wishluck:

Me too.

Was reviewing that thread after I linked to it......hard to believe it's been missing for almost 5 years now, so it looks pretty doubtful.

Edited by Domo Arigato

I'm into it. I'd love the splash to Bat 1. Or any of the pages featuring Batman and the Joker. And why not? If the book was coverless or missing wraps, it is being put to good use. I suppose I would advertise that I have say, an incomplete Bat 1. Anyone need any missing wraps, LMK. We would work something out. Afterward, part the book out as single pages.

They have their place. It would suck if it got to the point that people were chopping up rare comics and selling them in pieces like what happens with some other collectibles, but at the same time I can see a page out of a key comic being a great affordable gift for a comic fan. Also, I’ve decided I’m not the kind of guy who owns expensive comics. Once something hits $200-$800 I’ll sell it depending on how much I like it. So I’ll never own a complete SA key, or even Copper anymore the way prices are now

I don't have a problem with unslabbed pages (so long as they're taken from already incomplete or otherwise books that were in really bad shape to begin with.  I could see framing it alongside a nice copy of the actual book.  The whole argument against slabbed books is that you can't see what's inside them.  Well, if you have the page alongside it, now you can see the page that matters.

I think slabbing pages is absolutely ridiculous.  Why do I need CGC to tell me what condition a piece of paper is in?  It's intended as art at that point and looks better in a frame than a CGC slab.

This immediately makes me think of some seller on ebay years ago who CONSTANTLY posted and re-posted pages from TTA 27. And this was when I was trying to buy the issue so every time I got an ebay alert I would go to check the search results and guess what, it wasn't a copy of TTA that I could buy or watch and bid on, it was THAT SELLER'S SINGLE PAGES. 

Other than that I have no problem with them.