• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed comics
1 1

2 posts in this topic

If I have a comic that I had signed on the cover by the creator, how will the grader take this into account when grading the comic.  I have no COA, since I got it directly from the artist years ago.  How about if the signature is inside the comic book?

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. 

In order to receive the Signature Series label, a book has to be signed in the presence of a CGC certified witness and submitted immediately for grading. CGC does not accept certificates of authenticity, photos, video, signature labels from other companies, or any form of “proof” a book was signed by the creator.

The strict nature of the CGC Signature Series program allows CGC to be certain of the authenticity of a signature. If a witness is not present at the time of the signing, unfortunately we would not be able to authenticate the signature.

Since we do not accept COA's as proof of signature because they are easily forged, we would recommend that you keep possession of your COA as we do not encapsulate them with your book.

Without a CGC witness present, your signed comic, if graded, would receive the green Qualified label with a notation of "Name written on cover in marker" with no assertion of who may have signed the comic. Books that receive the green Qualified label do not receive a lower grade because of the unwitnessed signature. CGC ignores the unwitnessed signature for grading purposes.

All CGC In-House Signing Events will notate the signature on the book for the signing that you submitted it for. Books that have an unwitnessed signature already on the book, but receive an additional signature through a CGC In-House Signing Event would receive a CGC green and yellow label. The signature from the Signing Event would read as "Signed by (Artist Name) on MM/DD/YY" and the unwitnessed signature would receive a notation of "Name Written on Cover in Marker." The label would be the Signature Series Qualified label (yellow with a green stripe).

If you have any other questions, please let us know.  Thank you!