• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Sterinko artwork worth buying?

22 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Isha Mushtaq said:

Jim Sterinko or matt baker?

Isha Jim Steranko and Matt Baker are excellent. To your question. Steranko artwork is worth buying if you like his art. If you mean as a financial investment, well you may have missed the chance to buy art that will appreciate. That is pieces like Shield, Captain America are highly sought after and prices when available aren’t cheap. If you can afford it go for it!!!

As someone who owns a Steranko X-Men page, I can say I was probably more thrilled to win that page (several years ago at HA) than anything else I own. I know at the time I paid around fair value, but with the limited supply of his art, I knew it could be many years before another piece came available. And with limited supply means just one other person who has more cash to spend than me, can beat me out every time.

Now if you just want to own a sketch or commission, those come available a lot more often. That said, almost none of those (IMO) exhibit trademarks of his art. When I buy page/cover of art from an artist that I want (Steranko, Adams, Starlin, Wrightson, etc.), the page has to easily be identifiable as a page by that artist. If it just looks like someone else could have drawn it, I'm not interested (regardless of the price).

3 hours ago, joefixit2 said:

I heard Sterinko is going the NFT route only so get his artwork while you can.  That sketch above went for $20MM as an NFT last week.

And he got promptly sued for breach of contract, as well as copyright on the image and trademark infringement for $60 million in damages (plus costs). 🤪

Edited by Rick2you2

True! Isha welcome to the board... I too have been known to be saved by spell check : )

Please don't take offense to our kidding around it is what we do, that and talk about prices soaring, bubbles bursting and oh yeah shilling we always talk about shilling.

Edited by gumbydarnit

5 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Please don’t take the potshots on your spelling to heart. 

We should have all given you a warm welcome before the hazing. 

Disagree. Hazing then warm welcome. Then hot tub invite if it's a hot chick. If a dude, then more hazing. This is the way of the boards. 

3 hours ago, Will_K said:

On the other hand, how many times have you seen "Neil Adams" ??  For me, enough times that it's a pet peeve.

Personally, if I found the "right" Matt Baker piece, I would go for it.

I’ve made that blunder, and I really should know better.

On 3/30/2021 at 7:56 AM, Real Elijah Snow said:

Disagree. Hazing then warm welcome. Then hot tub invite if it's a hot chick. If a dude, then more hazing. This is the way of the boards. 

As long as we can all sit in there and debate the merits of Andrea Dworkin's philosophy of separatism when faced with the realities of capitalistic misogyny versus more contemporary feminists' realpolitik call for inclusion, I'm up for a MLA break-out hot tub session when everyone is properly vaccinated.