• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Where have you seen 9.8’s for $5K?  I’ll gladly buy them

Additionally, any of those sellers asking for 7k or 10k, offer them 5k if that’s what you want to pay, one of them will take it.

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

There are none on eBay for $5K.  Cheapest copy available is $7.5K

Search unspecified.  Also I’m pretty sure they are going for 4.5k on my comic shop.  And again the expensive ones aren’t commonly selling for that high.  They are expiring and reposting.  The ones that sell with “or best offer”, you can look up the actually sales price on the source page.  Only a handful have sold for like 7 or something since the beginning of the year.  Most if not all are signed, otherwise they just didnt care

26 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

There are none on eBay for $5K.  Cheapest copy available is $7.5K

I might stand correct about current prices.  They have increased on average just since Sunday even though there haven’t been any significant sales on eBay.  Someone actually paid under 7.5k for Stan and Todd 9.8 CGC.  I haven’t looked up actual price.  But a bid auction did settle at 5900 today.  That must have elevated everything

7 hours ago, Mike_1 said:

I might stand correct about current prices.  They have increased on average just since Sunday even though there haven’t been any significant sales on eBay.  Someone actually paid under 7.5k for Stan and Todd 9.8 CGC.  I haven’t looked up actual price.  But a bid auction did settle at 5900 today.  That must have elevated everything

There’s the $5.9K sale on eBay, and the $6.5K sale on Clink on Tuesday.  The days of getting this book for $5K are over.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:25 PM, piper said:

I would buy anything less than a 9.8.

I just don’t know about the recent uptick in prices. I honestly have given up trying to predict where prices will go.

My best guess is that as long as you are willing to hold it for 5+ years that even if there’s a price correction you should be ok.

How often have we seen that though?

Take any 5 yr rolling period and Id be willing to be that any 9.8 for a popular character is pricier at the end of it than at the beginning.  The ones that "price correct" are few and far between I would think.  Off the top of my head I cant think of any.

3 hours ago, Erndog said:

Take any 5 yr rolling period and Id be willing to be that any 9.8 for a popular character is pricier at the end of it than at the beginning.  The ones that "price correct" are few and far between I would think.  Off the top of my head I cant think of any.

I see so my very important typo (wouldn’t), so I think we’re saying the same thing. I recommend 9.8’s for Modern books.

On 3/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Mike_1 said:

I’ve been a long time fan of venom.  I bought his first comic and the first appearance of carnage when they came out, both still pristine.

I’ve always wanted Venom’s first appearance but couldn’t afford the price when I was younger, and then I forgot about comics all together until recently.  Now I see it and wonder if I will ever have a chance at buying a 9.8 at a lower price if I wait.  Been looking for Stan and Todd signed 9.6s on eBay as well but the prices are going up so fast.  Just not sure I want to splurge 4k.  Still a lot of money for me although I could swing it.

What do you guys think?

At these prices I would wait its not worth the 4k

13 hours ago, Erndog said:

CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in 2009 is higher than any of the five years that followed.

9 hours ago, valiantman said:

CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in 2009 is higher than any of the five years that followed.

Those 2009 buyers are doing just fine today.  Moral is, don't plan to flip it within 5 years.  That's pure speculation, as far as I'm concerned.  Buy and hold and you don't have to worry about it.

I no longer have any idea where prices will be for this book and so many others. The market has gone crazy and although I dont see it maintaining this upward pace, I have no idea if prices will ever come down. I never thought this book would be going for over $5,000 in 9.8.

All I know is that there are now a lot of books I can no longer afford in high grade.

It's a great book, but the prices are absurd at this point.  It's so common (isn't it or Wolverine Mini #1 the book with the most submissions of any book?) that, I agree, it cannot sustain these levels.    We just don't know for how long it is before the ball drops.  I'm not saying that it will drop to pre-insanity prices, but it must come down.   There are probably still unopened cases of this book sitting in collections.  There are just too many copies to go around.  

I find it absurd that a 9.8 of this will cost you more than a nice mid-grade Timely war cover or a low grade ASM 1, a lower grade FF5, etc...  Maybe I'm totally in the wrong?  

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

It's a great book, but the prices are absurd at this point.  It's so common (isn't it or Wolverine Mini #1 the book with the most submissions of any book?) that, I agree, it cannot sustain these levels.    We just don't know for how long it is before the ball drops.  I'm not saying that it will drop to pre-insanity prices, but it must come down.   There are probably still unopened cases of this book sitting in collections.  There are just too many copies to go around.  

I find it absurd that a 9.8 of this will cost you more than a nice mid-grade Timely war cover or a low grade ASM 1, a lower grade FF5, etc...  Maybe I'm totally in the wrong?  

Your not in the wrong, but you have to ignore Supply and demand on this book. That would have been addressed a long time ago. One of the highest grades possible in this book will get you a low grade ASM 1 isn't saying much, what it is saying is 300 is nowhere near ASM 1 or FF 5 in terms of quality. But what I can say is this...it is an iconic book with a first appearance of an extremely popular character

3 hours ago, Bludriver said:

I no longer have any idea where prices will be for this book and so many others. The market has gone crazy and although I dont see it maintaining this upward pace, I have no idea if prices will ever come down. I never thought this book would be going for over $5,000 in 9.8.

All I know is that there are now a lot of books I can no longer afford in high grade.

It sold for $6500 at Comiclink a few days ago, wonder what the seller premium is on that site?

On 4/1/2021 at 11:04 PM, Mike_1 said:

Search unspecified.  Also I’m pretty sure they are going for 4.5k on my comic shop.  And again the expensive ones aren’t commonly selling for that high.  They are expiring and reposting.  The ones that sell with “or best offer”, you can look up the actually sales price on the source page.  Only a handful have sold for like 7 or something since the beginning of the year.  Most if not all are signed, otherwise they just didnt care

7k on my comicshop

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ivitems=8383591#53240792

On 3/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Mike_1 said:

I’ve been a long time fan of venom.  I bought his first comic and the first appearance of carnage when they came out, both still pristine.

I’ve always wanted Venom’s first appearance but couldn’t afford the price when I was younger, and then I forgot about comics all together until recently.  Now I see it and wonder if I will ever have a chance at buying a 9.8 at a lower price if I wait.  Been looking for Stan and Todd signed 9.6s on eBay as well but the prices are going up so fast.  Just not sure I want to splurge 4k.  Still a lot of money for me although I could swing it.

What do you guys think?

Were I wanting a 9.8 copy of this book, I’d buy 2 recently graded 9.6 copies ( apparently CGC is super tight at the moment ) and sit on them until they loosen up a bit. While you’re waiting for that to happen, you can watch the prices for 9.6s keep rising along with the 9.8s.  Then resub both books in hopes of getting 9.8s.

If that gamble doesn’t pay off, you can sell both copies and buy a 9.8

If you’re lucky, one comes back 9.8 & you can sell the remaining 9.6 to offset the cost of the 9.8

If you’re really lucky, both come back 9.8, and you can sell one & get the 9.8 you want for your collection for free.

^^

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Were I wanting a 9.8 copy of this book, I’d buy 2 recently graded 9.6 copies ( apparently CGC is super tight at the moment ) and sit on them until they loosen up a bit. While you’re waiting for that to happen, you can watch the prices for 9.6s keep rising along with the 9.8s.  Then resub both books in hopes of getting 9.8s.

If that gamble doesn’t pay off, you can sell both copies and buy a 9.8

If you’re lucky, one comes back 9.8 & you can sell the remaining 9.6 to offset the cost of the 9.8

If you’re really lucky, both come back 9.8, and you can sell one & get the 9.8 you want for your collection for free.

^^

Accurate risk...but you may need 3 copies

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Accurate risk...but you may need 3 copies

If a 9.8 currently sells for the price of 3 9.6s, then that’s even better.  Buy 3.  Better chance of 1 coming back in 9.8:smile:

And maybe while you’re holding, the gap between 9.8 & 9.6 shrinks back to 2/1, and the 3rd 9.6 is free. 

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

If a 9.8 currently sells for the price of 3 9.6s, then that’s even better.  Buy 3.  Better chance of 1 coming back in 9.8:smile:

And maybe while you’re holding, the gap between 9.8 & 9.6 shrinks back to 2/1, and the 3rd 9.6 is free. 

Tax on purchase (for most people) - slab fees/shipping - fees on resale - chances that one regrades at 9.4 = this sort of arbitrage is unlikely to be profitable.

1 minute ago, Poekaymon said:

Tax on purchase (for most people) - slab fees/shipping - fees on resale - chances that one regrades at 9.4 = this sort of arbitrage is unlikely to be profitable.

The idea is to get a 9.8 for the OPs collection without  incurring the sunken cost of current 9.8 prices.