• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

The idea is to get a 9.8 for the OPs collection without  incurring the sunken cost of current 9.8 prices. 

??? That was abundantly clear.  I was cautioning that this tactic will probably only lose him money.  IE, it's probably taking more than 3, then you're going to have to resell all your 9.6s/9.4s (unless you're suggesting he keep all of those as well).  And there's always a chance you do 10 or more and still don't get a 9.8.  Better off just buying a 9.8, imo.

Edited by Poekaymon

17 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

??? That was abundantly clear.  I was cautioning that this tactic will probably only lose him money.  IE, it's probably taking more than 3, then you're going to have to resell all your 9.6s/9.4s (unless you're suggesting he keep all of those as well).  And there's always a chance you do 10 or more and still don't get a 9.8.  Better off just buying a 9.8, imo.

If he does that, his $6000 is simply gone.  He’s buying to keep, so even if the 9.8 continues to rise exponentially, he has no way of benefiting from that increase.  

3 9.6s give him options.

I like options (shrug)

If one has the cash to buy 2 9.8 copies, that would also allow you to benefit from the price increase & get your keeper 9.8 for less.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

12 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

It was a cbcs and they jumped since that auction and a $5900 sale on eBay.  I honestly think sellers are boosting by buying copies with alt accounts.  I know for sure it happened with the jordan rookies in the last year

2 hours ago, Mike_1 said:

It was a cbcs and they jumped since that auction and a $5900 sale on eBay.  I honestly think sellers are boosting by buying copies with alt accounts.  I know for sure it happened with the jordan rookies in the last year

but isn't that seller charged commission by eBay? I don't know how much

3 hours ago, Mike_1 said:

Routinely see bizarre stuff, like auctions closing significantly above identical stuff with lower BINs.  I know some are "auction fever," but always makes me raise my eyebrows.

4 minutes ago, Mike_1 said:

I believe 10% or something.

Just buy a raw copy, or lower grade issue. Honestly I would wait. You came here for advise because you were concerned with the large purchase. Please do not do something stupid and buy it on a credit card and make payments.

It's need vs. want. Enjoy a lower grade copy, or visit Heritage to see a 9.8 copy (shrug)

It's not a piece to add to your collection and say this is "rare"

On 4/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, chrisco37 said:

I find it absurd that a 9.8 of this will cost you more than a nice mid-grade Timely war cover or a low grade ASM 1, a lower grade FF5, etc...  Maybe I'm totally in the wrong?  

I agree with that logic, but it's old guard logic. We're people who love comics, as in the medium as a whole, and therefore appreciate a Golden Age war cover (and it's scarcity), but I venture to presume that a lot of the new money and buyers are just chasing the 1st appearances of popular mainstream characters (Venom is as popular as it gets right now with the younger generation). They're not necessarily in this because they love the medium, and therefore have little to no interest in ASM 1 (they want AF 15) or FF 5 (but wait until he appears in the MCU and is pumped on social media!).

The rules have changed and those of us from the old guard have to adapt.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

16 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

So, I offered a local about $9K CAD for an ASM #300 CGC 9.8 SS LEE MCFARLANE yesterday.

He declined the offer.

I'm relieved! 

(Until it's suddenly a $15K CAD book in a year! :tonofbricks:)

So, 9K Canadian is equivalent to 7K US. Of course the dealer turned it down you are way below GPA. The dealer would have to be nuts to accept you offer 

Edited by jjonahjameson11

13 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, 9K Canadian is equivalent to 7K US. Of course the dealer turned it down you are way below GPA. The dealer would have to be nuts to accept you offer 

Well, what makes you say that? Another copy sold for just that recently. I offered the same amount without the seller having to pay fees to Ebay, etc., so I think that's right on par for the course. He could perhaps sell it on Ebay for $8,500.00 USD and pay the fees and then be right back to what I offered in cash. Regardless, I'm glad he declined. The point I'm making is that who knows where the price will end for this book (and many other of its ilk). 

5 minutes ago, littlebull said:

Wow, declined for 7k.......

Well, there was more to the story. I actually offered him what he was asking for, but he was experiencing seller and buyer's remorse both at once. As it turns out, HE was the buyer of the last recored sale on GPA a few months ago, so he doesn't really want to sell it, but he needs cash to to buy something else. A classic case of playing with big books that one cannot actually afford.

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

On 4/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, valiantman said:

CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in 2009 is higher than any of the five years that followed.

very true. yet in every other grade, it increased just about every year after 2010. take 9.4 for example, imho the best grade to pursue in a book like 181. see attached pic. 181 9.4 high price increased every single year but last year. the highest graded copies of a book like 181 are not common, (9.8) therefore more apt to fluctuate wildly depending on how many come to market, etc. a book like asm300, which has 9.8 as the 7th most common grade, is a different animal. though now we can see all grades of this common book rising to meet demand. 

where @piper says to only buy asm300 in 9.8, i used to agree, but as we can see, now 9.6 and 9.4 copies are doing very well for those of us not interested in shelling out the highest prices. 

ultimately my point is that you cannot compare a book with only 126 universal 9.8 copies, and a book with 1086 universal 9.8 copies and another 286 signature ones.

15 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

very true. yet in every other grade, it increased just about every year after 2010. take 9.4 for example, imho the best grade to pursue in a book like 181. see attached pic. 181 9.4 high price increased every single year but last year. the highest graded copies of a book like 181 are not common, (9.8) therefore more apt to fluctuate wildly depending on how many come to market, etc. a book like asm300, which has 9.8 as the 7th most common grade, is a different animal. though now we can see all grades of this common book rising to meet demand. 

where @piper says to only buy asm300 in 9.8, i used to agree, but as we can see, now 9.6 and 9.4 copies are doing very well for those of us not interested in shelling out the highest prices. 

ultimately my point is that you cannot compare a book with only 126 universal 9.8 copies, and a book with 1086 universal 9.8 copies and another 286 signature ones.

All I have is my personal raw copy bought off the Canadian newstand. I had Todd sign the splash page a couple of years ago.

If I were to get it graded, it would probably only be an 8.5.

1 hour ago, alexgross.com said:

Agree with this, look at the census numbers on IH 181, even ASM 129. Very low in comparison.

There was that FB posting in Copper where they just received 4 300 9.8s back?

https://www.facebook.com/1766841450204926/posts/2717003795188682/

Wasn't there a rumor of someone walking out of the LCS with a long box full of 300s back in the day, wonder when these will come to light? hm

On 3/28/2021 at 9:21 PM, Mike_1 said:

I’ve been a long time fan of venom.  I bought his first comic and the first appearance of carnage when they came out, both still pristine.

I’ve always wanted Venom’s first appearance but couldn’t afford the price when I was younger, and then I forgot about comics all together until recently.  Now I see it and wonder if I will ever have a chance at buying a 9.8 at a lower price if I wait.  Been looking for Stan and Todd signed 9.6s on eBay as well but the prices are going up so fast.  Just not sure I want to splurge 4k.  Still a lot of money for me although I could swing it.

What do you guys think?

I’ve decided to abandon my mission here unless prices drop substantially.  Should have bought it years ago.  Missed the boat

On 3/28/2021 at 9:21 PM, Mike_1 said:

I’ve been a long time fan of venom.  I bought his first comic and the first appearance of carnage when they came out, both still pristine.

I’ve always wanted Venom’s first appearance but couldn’t afford the price when I was younger, and then I forgot about comics all together until recently.  Now I see it and wonder if I will ever have a chance at buying a 9.8 at a lower price if I wait.  Been looking for Stan and Todd signed 9.6s on eBay as well but the prices are going up so fast.  Just not sure I want to splurge 4k.  Still a lot of money for me although I could swing it.

What do you guys think?

I’ve decided to abandon the mission here unless prices drop substantially.  I should have bought it 10 years ago and I missed the boat.  No grade is worth asking to me for the grade that it is.  I’ll collect something else.  

On 4/3/2021 at 10:02 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Were I wanting a 9.8 copy of this book, I’d buy 2 recently graded 9.6 copies ( apparently CGC is super tight at the moment ) and sit on them until they loosen up a bit. While you’re waiting for that to happen, you can watch the prices for 9.6s keep rising along with the 9.8s.  Then resub both books in hopes of getting 9.8s.

If that gamble doesn’t pay off, you can sell both copies and buy a 9.8

If you’re lucky, one comes back 9.8 & you can sell the remaining 9.6 to offset the cost of the 9.8

If you’re really lucky, both come back 9.8, and you can sell one & get the 9.8 you want for your collection for free.

^^

For future reference in case prices do dip, how recently would it need to have been graded?