• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mike_1 said:

For future reference in case prices do dip, how recently would it need to have been graded?

I’ve just heard talk on here of strict grading.  I haven’t submitted anything in quite some time, so I have no idea of the timeframe.  

2 hours ago, Mike_1 said:

I’ve decided to abandon my mission here unless prices drop substantially.  Should have bought it years ago.  Missed the boat

I’ve decided to abandon the mission here unless prices drop substantially.  I should have bought it 10 years ago and I missed the boat.  No grade is worth asking to me for the grade that it is.  I’ll collect something else.  

That's reasonable.   Find another key

On 4/3/2021 at 3:31 AM, Poekaymon said:
On 4/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, valiantman said:

CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in 2009 is higher than any of the five years that followed.

Those 2009 buyers are doing just fine today.  Moral is, don't plan to flip it within 5 years.  That's pure speculation, as far as I'm concerned.  Buy and hold and you don't have to worry about it.

Yes indeed, as a long time comic book collector, it's really all about spending time in the market, as opposed to trying to time the market.  (thumbsu

Especially when time can heal and make up for a lot of things, including bad purchasing decisions.  :bigsmile:

So, I guess if Boston Corbett had been patient enough, his economic analysis on the purchase of his NM 98 would have proven to be correct in the end.  :taptaptap:

And then he would at long last be rightfully correct to say to all of us here, "Thus Endth The Lesson".  lol

17 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Well, there we go. What I feared! lol

(Could you kindly provide the link. I see it in GPA, but for some reason my Ebay searches are acting wonky and not showing ANY 9.8s... Thanks!)

Found it hidden, eBay mentioned no recent sales in the recently ended again. Their search function is screwy.

Link

11 hours ago, Mike_1 said:

It’s just gotten dumb at this point.  For it to accelerate to this degree seems euphoric... like a bubble

I think it is the new to the hobby syndrome. They get the sense that it is rare, Venom's first appearance, Stan Lee past, he wont be signing anything anymore. I'd better buy it now :ohnoez:

I wonder if that ASM 316 sold hm that said "Todd the god McFarlane", because that is extremely rare to say that quote lol

2 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

I think it is the new to the hobby syndrome. They get the sense that it is rare, Venom's first appearance, Stan Lee past, he wont be signing anything anymore. I'd better buy it now :ohnoez:

I wonder if that ASM 316 sold hm that said "Todd the god McFarlane", because that is extremely rare to say that quote lol

Found, for some reason the seller ended the listing, remains unsold (shrug)

Link

image.png.06b6ca42a694744e44de4cc0fb7ebcbe.png

image.png.ece25b397cdf19313ca22461b2b57809.png

image.thumb.png.8355474871de13d642381a00b4fa7d85.png

11 hours ago, Mike_1 said:

I’ve decided to abandon the mission here unless prices drop substantially.  I should have bought it 10 years ago and I missed the boat.  No grade is worth asking to me for the grade that it is.  I’ll collect something else.  

Makes sense, though I would recommend keeping an eye on the book still, you never know a nice cheap copy might just pop up. Also don't rule out finding this book in the wild at flea markets, antique malls, used books stores etc. Though you probably won't find a 9.8, this comic is an anniversary issue and a lot of copies were printed. So I don't think it's out of the range of possibility to find one at some of the aforementioned locations.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So, I guess if Boston Corbett had been patient enough, his economic analysis on the purchase of his NM 98 would have proven to be correct in the end.  :taptaptap:

And then he would at long last be rightfully correct to say to all of us here, "Thus Endth The Lesson".  lol

I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately.   

4 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Found, for some reason the seller ended the listing, remains unsold (shrug)

Link

image.png.06b6ca42a694744e44de4cc0fb7ebcbe.png

image.png.ece25b397cdf19313ca22461b2b57809.png

image.thumb.png.8355474871de13d642381a00b4fa7d85.png

Looks more like Todd "The Goo" McFarlane. No one wants to be "The Goo". Not now, not ever.

I bought a raw ASM300 before all this craziness with the sky rocketing prices.  Came back 9.4 and I'm a happy man.  It's good enough for me.  It filled a hole I had for a while as I had 298, 299 and 301.  
Certainly glad I finally got it then. 

Really impressed that this is one of those books, despite the huge populations, is still in such high demand today.  Convinced at this point it'll never go down.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:40 AM, Dr. Dank said:

Love to see the numbers that support newsstands are more "rare"

I don't think there is any hard data on NS being more rare, but having grown up buying a lot of my comics off a spinner rack at the local 7/11 I know there are less high grade News Stands out there. There is no doubt it's harder/rarer to find NS 9.8

Edited by I am not Glenda

5 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

I don't think there is any hard data on NS being more rare, but having grown up buying a lot of my comics off a spinner rack at the local 7/11 I know there are less high grade News stands out there.

This.

57 minutes ago, Brian48 said:

Really impressed that this is one of those books, despite the huge populations, is still in such high demand today.  Convinced at this point it'll never go down.

Depends how high it goes during this madness...

I have both 300 and 316 in 9.6.  I really don't understand all of the 9.8 chasing that is going on.  If the book really means something to you, get a lower grade copy. I just sent in news stand 300 for grading and I know its going to come back like 5.0 or something like that but it was my brothers from when we were kids, so it means something to me.  Honestly my favorite comic is a blue beetle 1 from 1986 because it was my first comic that I bough with my own money in 1986 when I was 9.  

6 hours ago, I am not Glenda said:

I don't think there is any hard data on NS being more rare, but having grown up buying a lot of my comics off a spinner rack at the local 7/11 I know there are less high grade News Stands out there. There is no doubt it's harder/rarer to find NS 9.8

GPAnalysis shows 1,251 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #300 CGC (universal) sold during 2020.  1,166 of them were direct editions (93.2%).

For the grades of CGC 9.6 or higher, there were 330 copies of ASM #300 sold during 2020.  324 of them were direct editions (98.2%).

Anyone claiming there isn't enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol