• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, valiantman said:

GPAnalysis shows 1,251 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #300 CGC (universal) sold during 2020.  1,166 of them were direct editions (93.2%).

For the grades of CGC 9.6 or higher, there were 330 copies of ASM #300 sold during 2020.  324 of them were direct editions (98.2%).

Anyone claiming there isn't enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol

Anyone using GPAnalysis as there only source of data would make that statement. For example can you tell me the print runs for NS copies of NM98 vs direct copies? Or can you give me some insight into how many high grade ungraded copies of NS ASM #300 are still sitting in collection? I guess we just have different standards when it comes to data.......................... or conclusion :) 

Edited by I am not Glenda

Just now, I am not Glenda said:
20 minutes ago, valiantman said:

GPAnalysis shows 1,251 copies of Amazing Spider-Man #300 CGC (universal) sold during 2020.  1,166 of them were direct editions (93.2%).

For the grades of CGC 9.6 or higher, there were 330 copies of ASM #300 sold during 2020.  324 of them were direct editions (98.2%).

Anyone claiming there isn't enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol

Anyone using GPAnalysis as there only source of data would make that statement. For example can you tell me the print runs for NS copies of NM98 vs direct copies? Or can you give me some insight into how many high grade ungraded copies of NS are still sitting in collection? I guess we just have different standards when it comes to data when coming to a conclusion :) 

The active market in 2020 is far more important than the original print runs from 1988.  The number of ungraded copies is irrelevant in the graded market as well.  There is no "all-knowing source of all information" that some people pretend is required to make conclusions.

There are 1,251 data points specific to ASM #300 from 2020 that are a valid sample of what can be known.  It isn't 51% direct and 49% newsstand.  It's 93% and 7%.  There's zero chance, mathematically, that there are more newsstands than direct editions.  Your "different standards" aren't based on math.  

So, no, I guess I can't prove anything in your imaginary world where math doesn't matter.

22 minutes ago, valiantman said:

The active market in 2020 is far more important than the original print runs from 1988.  The number of ungraded copies is irrelevant in the graded market as well.  There is no "all-knowing source of all information" that some people pretend is required to make conclusions.

There are 1,251 data points specific to ASM #300 from 2020 that are a valid sample of what can be known.  It isn't 51% direct and 49% newsstand.  It's 93% and 7%.  There's zero chance, mathematically, that there are more newsstands than direct editions.  Your "different standards" aren't based on math.  

So, no, I guess I can't prove anything in your imaginary world where math doesn't matter.

No that's not it at all if your going to come on here and point out the data in a way that is helpful....that's great. But if you feel the need to come at me with your all knowing GPAnalysis  as if its the only source of data that matters I am sorry if I don't agree with you and there is nothing imaginary about that. Your limited data is correct. However it only gives you so much insight ( its real simple in 2009 I bought 300 raw copies of Gi Joe #1 from a closed comic shop for $900 the are sitting in my closet at the store how do they play into you GPA data?)  Anyone claiming the GPA is enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

No that's not it at all if your going to come on here and point out the data in a way helpful....that's great but if you feel the need to come at me with you all knowing GPAnalysis  as if its the only source of data that matters I am sorry if I don't agree with you and there is noting imaginary about that. Your math is correct however it only gives you so much insight ( its real simple in 2009 I bought 300 raw copies of Gi Joe #1 from a closed comic shop for $900 the are sitting in my closet at the store how do they play into you GPA data?)  Anyone claiming the GPA IS enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol.

Look, the math doesn't care what website we're on.  It's math.

GPAnalysis is a sample of data.  You can go to all the local comic shops in your area and get a sample of data.  I can ask all my friends and get a sample of data.

It doesn't matter... the math is the same.

If you have a sample of 1,251 of something... and 93% are X and 7% are Y, then there is a 99% confidence interval that no matter how many exist - 2,500 or 25,000,000,000 --- the 93% X is correct within +/- 2%.

So, we can absolutely know that somewhere between 91% and 95% of ASM #300 graded are direct edition and 5% to 9% are newsstand, with a 99% certainty.

Now, when you find a source of newsstands that can overcome that math ---- not an opinion, actual math ---- then we'll put it in the calculator.

Until then, you're in a fantasy land of "what ifs" and make believe.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

"Anyone claiming there isn't enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol"

"So, no, I guess I can't prove anything in your imaginary world where math doesn't matter."

Wow, I come here to relax & I am always happy to have a conversation on any topic, but you have some real issues.......... enjoy your math. Nuff said.

14 minutes ago, valiantman said:

"Anyone claiming there isn't enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol"

"So, no, I guess I can't prove anything in your imaginary world where math doesn't matter."

Wow, I come here to relax & I am always happy to have a conversation on any topic, but you have some real issues.......... enjoy your math. Nuff said.

Would you prefer that no one do math around you when you're relaxing? (shrug)
How are we supposed to know if you're in the mood for math? (shrug) (shrug)

Yes, I'm the one with "real issues" because I trust math without first asking about other people's moods. I'm out of control. :devil:

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Would you prefer that no one do math around you when you're relaxing? (shrug)
How are we supposed to know if you're in the mood for math? (shrug) (shrug)

Yes, I'm the one with "real issues" because I trust math without first asking about other people's moods. I'm out of control. :devil:

Your just coming off awful, I don't get it? You feeling like a ba @ss on the key boards or something today? do us both a favor MATH MAN and move on.  Go enjoy your GPA analysis & have a nice day.

Yes, I'm the awful one.

Using math.

Giving answers to questions in a discussion.

Who does that kind of thing?

A maniac, that's who.

People are on here asking questions about data... but no one actually expects anyone to use data in the answer. 

That would be insane.

says it all "Anyone claiming there isn't enough data to make any conclusions knows nothing about data... or conclusions. lol" and I don't need math to know it's your issue not mine. ps I will be the bigger man and stop responding as it seems you need to keep this going. Have a nice day.

download.jpg

Your username "I am not Glenda" is certainly true... if Glenda is good at math.

P.S. You quoted me and I was prepared to back up the statement you quoted.  When I backed up that statement, you claimed that I had a problem for backing up my statement with math.  Now, you're the "bigger man" after questioning my math, then questioning why I needed to be such a "math man".  What am I supposed to do?  Make a statement, you quote it, then I say, "Never mind - I could defend my statement but that would require math, and I'm no nerd.  I refuse to do math... because I'm the BIGGER MAN!"

What a win that would be.

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thank you for thinking of me, but I have no feelings one way or the other about this issue. I have an ASM CGC 9.4 direct edition, and I'm quite happy with that.

Exactly when did caring about newsstand editions become a thing? I don't remember anyone mentioning this when I first joined in late 2018. I understand why a CGC 9.8 newsstand edition would be more valuable. It was in a spinner or a rack, and God knows how many people touched it, thus lessening the chance of getting a high grade. Is this just an example of needing to have a COMPLETE set of ASM #300?

1 minute ago, Math Teacher said:

Thank you for thinking of me, but I have no feelings one way or the other about this issue. I have an ASM CGC 9.4 direct edition, and I'm quite happy with that.

Exactly when did caring about newsstand editions become a thing? I don't remember anyone mentioning this when I first joined in late 2018. I understand why a CGC 9.8 newsstand edition would be more valuable. It was in a spinner or a rack, and God knows how many people touched it, thus lessening the chance of getting a high grade.

Believe it or not, there are people arguing that it shouldn't be more valuable.  Neither common sense (as you stated above) or actual data from the market (as I showed here today) seems to have any effect. 

4 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

Exactly when did caring about newsstand editions become a thing? I don't remember anyone mentioning this when I first joined in late 2018. I understand why a CGC 9.8 newsstand edition would be more valuable. It was in a spinner or a rack, and God knows how many people touched it, thus lessening the chance of getting a high grade. Is this just an example of needing to have a COMPLETE set of ASM #300?

It may have started when, we had threads that contained Newsstands that were priced different, and they were getting a label notation.  The discussion was her in 2018, you may just not have been aware.

Then maybe it started in the year that Newsstand stopped their distribution, which happened later I believe with DC, so it's always been speculated on.

Hence the ruckus, that it makes sense that more modern Newsstand are much less in quantity than older, but then the idea spread from modern backward because it was always talked about and noticed in the disparity.

So then similarities formed, also so did opinions. To say Newsstand is not a thing is to not be aware, and to say Newsstand doesnt have merits is to not be able to ask and find out. There are definitely some issues, and it's been quarrelsome because not every new person knows every detail so the mention of it sparks the same old and boring calculations and misnomers