• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I wait on Amazing Spider-Man 300
2 2

216 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There are definitely some issues, and it's been quarrelsome because not every new person knows every detail so the mention of it sparks the same old and boring calculations and misnomers

... which is why I keep updating the data. :foryou:

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

... which is why I keep updating the data. :foryou:

You do good work, sometimes like with statistics all the data is interpreted differently, which we just have to live with lol 

But the data is sound, and no one should just ignore it imo

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Exactly when did caring about newsstand editions become a thing?

When a few cheap hucksters started (way over)hyping them. It would never work except in an insane market like the current/recent one.

33 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

When a few cheap hucksters started (way over)hyping them. It would never work except in an insane market like the current/recent one.

@ADAMANTIUM stated in an earlier post that there were discussions about direct/newsstand editions back when I joined in November, 2018. I don't remember them, but if Adamantium says they were going on, I am more than willing to accept his word.

So, if is the case, it didn't just start with this crazy market of the last 3 - 4 months.

Like I said, I have an ASM #300 CGC 9.4 direct edition. Frankly, I don't give a rat's rear-end if it is a direct edition or a newsstand edition. I am more interested in the cover and the insides; I really don't care what is or isn't in the UPC box.

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

@ADAMANTIUM stated in an earlier post that there were discussions about direct/newsstand editions back when I joined in November, 2018. I don't remember them, but if Adamantium says they were going on, I am more than willing to accept his word.

So, if is the case, it didn't just start with this crazy market of the last 3 - 4 months.

Like I said, I have an ASM #300 CGC 9.4 direct edition. Frankly, I don't give a rat's rear-end if it is a direct edition or a newsstand edition. I am more interested in the cover and the insides; I really don't care what is or isn't in the UPC box.

To be clear the discussion was going on back then

But in today's market there is a more significant price realized between direct and Newsstand, which seems to work only in today's market I thing is what @Lazyboy was getting at

It happened in 2018 or earlier but not as prevalent, and was more only discussed but not as yet evident in price realized as today

I cant take it or leave it personally 

As with any niche, it gives you something to point out or discuss with your books lol

If I'm lucky to find a copy I'm comfortable to pay fmv for and it happens to be a newsie, I'm just as happy even if it's more, but I dont not always seek them Newsstand or bust and it doesn't have to be

Take ASM #344 I would have sought that newsie out because they come up less for sale than #300 imo

So it's a slippery slope

I collect the Newsstand with price difference than direct, because it's easy for me to think of them as "different"

While the distribution and reasoning for them are different than 30 cent and 35 cent variants

It's easy for me just to see a notation, that aren't often found or are hard to find, and I see it all the same when collecting 

Just to preserve or have a unique item in today's market that is full of variant covers etc. I just take it as a case by case basis, timing, price, artist, whether I've run across it in other venues.

I dont see "I collect wolverine books" and "I collect Newsstand " with the same outlook for a reason to buy or collect for myself. I collect ASM  #300, I collect Newsstand,  but I dont necessarily collect ASM #300 newsstand lol

Now if anyone followed all that  :tink:

Drinks on the house! ^^

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

6 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

To be clear the discussion was going on back then

But in today's market there is a more significant price realized between direct and Newsstand, which seems to work only in today's market I thing is what @Lazyboy was getting at

It happened in 2018 or earlier but not as prevalent, and was more only discussed but not as yet evident in price realized as today

Lemmings!

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Lemmings!

I call it the unknowns haha. It was suspected back then that some Newsstand would go for more, but which ones? They're nice if you find them and for cheap, but I wouldn't equate a Newsstand a "must have" in the same sense as a 1st appearance is all. There will always be driven people who may look like their over board with it, but in the end I'm just happy there is a "new way of collecting" even after all these years. I collect some Newsstand basically the ones I find easy and reasonable, but again it still seems a bit of unknown like Newsstand distribution, price difference and a whole bunch of other so on's lol

They can be fun, I just hope more people can see that idk

13 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
16 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

Exactly when did caring about newsstand editions become a thing?

...and how do you feel about Star Wars #1 35-cent variant?  Should it cost exactly 5 cents more than the 30-cent version?  After all, that's what it says on the cover.

Those cheap hucksters making people pay thousands of extra dollars for a nickel difference. :sumo:

Funny enough, I used to on purposely avoid news stand editions because I like the look of the Spiderman image better then a barcode.  I think I ended up with just 2 in my collection one of which is xmen 141 news stand.  Funny story with that book as well.  It was graded 9.6 when I got it.  Sent in for private singing at a con with Clairmont and CGC would re-grade it.  They shipped it back to me in the yellow label without his signature.  Then  I had to send it back to them, he signed it and they graded it 9.4.   Just goes to show you that the grading can be very subjective epecially at higher grades 9.4 - 9.8.  

Pic.jpg

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

...and how do you feel about Star Wars #1 35-cent variant?  Should it cost exactly 5 cents more than the 30-cent version?  After all, that's what it says on the cover.

Those cheap hucksters making people pay thousands of extra dollars for a nickel difference. :sumo:

I think the price variants are a pretty ridiculous niche as well, though I've never seen them hyped with a bunch of lies and other ridiculous garbage. Also, they've been a niche since people learned about them, while Newsstands only became hyped decades after the market was split and when their distribution channel was nearly dead.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:45 PM, valiantman said:
On 3/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 3/29/2021 at 11:32 AM, valiantman said:

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 105 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 3 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 336 copies of CGC 9.6 ASM #300 direct edition and 18 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

GPA keeps accurate records of different editions that aren't variants in the CGC database?

Expand  

Yes, they've documented the differences in the market and added the identification to their records.

Just to be clear, do they consistently and accurately do this, or just note a few sales as being Newsstands?

11 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

I think the price variants are a pretty ridiculous niche as well, though I've never seen them hyped with a bunch of lies and other ridiculous garbage. Also, they've been a niche since people learned about them, while Newsstands only became hyped decades after the market was split and when their distribution channel was nearly dead.

Just to clarify, who is doing the lying about newsstands?

Secondly, it's hard to name a collectible in any industry, comics or otherwise, which didn't have some time period when it was worthless (or nothing special).  The reason Golden Age books have a lot of value is that they were literally thrown away 90% of the time, and read-to-death if they weren't tossed first.  We care today because they didn't survive in high grade, and they didn't survive in high grade because there was a time that no one cared.

Complaining that a collectible has value after many years of people not caring is like saying "If it wasn't manufactured to be valuable from the very beginning and always considered valuable, then it shouldn't be valuable" - which would make these 1-in-a-billion retailer exclusive ratio variants the only things that anyone should consider valuable.  Otherwise, nothing should be valuable if there was a time no one cared.

The best collectibles have decades of "no one cared" - that's what makes them needles in a haystack later.  If they were always gold trophies in a display case, then what's still fun about them decades later? 

New collectibles manufactured to be valuable from day one are being produced... daily.  We used to make fun of those Franklin Mint wannabes, but now the publishers are relying on the same tactics to sell their monthly books.  We'll make fun of them again, some day... but until then, people are paying hundreds and thousands of dollars for ink-still-wet variants of the 4th printing of the 13th appearance of whoever, because it was limited to 3.1415 copies with the coolest cover and only available at Nowhere Con which was cancelled due to Covid so you know this book can't lose, it'll put my grandchildren through space college.

Edited by valiantman

1 minute ago, Lazyboy said:
On 3/29/2021 at 2:45 PM, valiantman said:
On 3/29/2021 at 2:13 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 3/29/2021 at 11:32 AM, valiantman said:

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 105 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 direct edition and 3 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

In the past 12 months, GPAnalysis.com has recorded sales for 336 copies of CGC 9.6 ASM #300 direct edition and 18 copies of CGC 9.8 ASM #300 newsstand (Universal and Signature Series)

GPA keeps accurate records of different editions that aren't variants in the CGC database?

Expand  

Yes, they've documented the differences in the market and added the identification to their records.

Just to be clear, do they consistently and accurately do this, or just note a few sales as being Newsstands?

@gpanalysis can give the exact details, but GPAnalysis has been identifying Newsstands for certain books (not all books, but we're in an ASM #300 discussion, and ASM #300 is one of them) even when CGC does not make any distinction for a few years now.

32 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This is another side of collecting that I don't understand. Yes, I understand why the SW #1 35-cent variant is more desirable, but as I mentioned earlier, the cover and the insides are the most important aspects of a comic book to me.

2 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:
37 minutes ago, valiantman said:

This is another side of collecting that I don't understand. Yes, I understand why the SW #1 35-cent variant is more desirable, but as I mentioned earlier, the cover and the insides are the most important aspects of a comic book to me.

Do you really not understand it, or do you not agree with it?

Because if you really don't understand it, I don't mind explaining.  No opinions, no preferences, just facts.  When there are identical covers and insides on two comic books, but one of them exists in fewer copies... it tends to have a higher individual price.  That's all there is to it.  It gets more complex quickly, if the fewer copies book is a reprint... should a lower quantity reprint cost more than a first printing?  That's opinions, that's preferences, etc.

But simply stated, if all other things are equal - same printing, same contents, same paper, same cover - all the important aspects of the comic book are constants (since you're "Math Teacher", you know what I mean by constants), then the only variable is quantity.  The market responds to all the variables for every comic books, but since most of the variables are actually constants... the market is basically just responding to quantity when it comes to 35-cent variants or newsstands or any other "same printing, same contents, same paper, same cover" situations.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Just to clarify, who is doing the lying about newsstands?

There are, unfortunately, multiple prominent sources of misinformation online, the worst that I've seen being Benjamin Nobel's site. It's not just lies, but faulty assumptions and terrible logic. And the garbage spreads, including people bringing it here.

19 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Secondly, it's hard to name a collectible in any industry, comics or otherwise, which didn't have some time period when it was worthless (or nothing special).  The reason Golden Age books have a lot of value is that they were literally thrown away 90% of the time, and read-to-death if they weren't tossed first.  We care today because they didn't survive in high grade, and they didn't survive in high grade because there was a time that no one cared.

The reason most GA books have value (and the only reason some of them have any value) is because they had to survive through WW2 and Wertham, not because everybody threw them away the second they were done reading them. Plus more time for attrition and damage, even if people were trying to save them.

I suppose that you are right that I don't agree with it. If people want to search for newsstand copies because there are fewer copies, more power to them. The same goes for price variants. It's not my place to tell other people how to collect. I am not going to be concerned about newsstand copies or price variants when it comes to my collection.