• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did anyone ever try to be a real super hero?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Let us not forget Gabe’s online fantasy girl and her superpowers.

Gabe :cloud9: Such an entertaining kid.  Wasn't he also Bitcoinswami?  I remember seeing his youtube channel way back when and he was making all crypto currency videos.  Man, he may never have achieved getting his 1 million dollar comic, but if he had enough scratch to put into BTC he could be doing alright $$ wise.  I felt bad for the kid and remember buying his ASM 101 "pink variant) (pink marker all over the cover) for like $50.  Good times.

6 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Gabe :cloud9: Such an entertaining kid.  Wasn't he also Bitcoinswami?  I remember seeing his youtube channel way back when and he was making all crypto currency videos.  Man, he may never have achieved getting his 1 million dollar comic, but if he had enough scratch to put into BTC he could be doing alright $$ wise.  I felt bad for the kid and remember buying his ASM 101 "pink variant) (pink marker all over the cover) for like $50.  Good times.

The last time he popped up in the journal section, he had said he liquidated all of his crypto holdings at a loss.  Naturally, he didn’t know how much he lost.  Unless he managed to buy back in before this recent run...ouch.

On 3/29/2021 at 2:43 PM, shadroch said:

You don't need special powers or a silly costume to be a super-hero.

Yeah really....

Active duty military do it all the time. Special forces units like the Seals need to perform acts of super heroism routinely. Except they can't tell anyone. Not even their own family. 

8 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah really....

Active duty military do it all the time. Special forces units like the Seals need to perform acts of super heroism routinely. Except they can't tell anyone. Not even their own family. 

Not to nitpick, but Seals are not Special Forces. They are Special Operations. Only the guys guys with the Green Berets are Special Forces.

They are all Super Heroes.

Edited by shadroch

As a youth, I was more of a 'Peacemaker'.  I would always break up fights on the playground.  I also tried to avoid getting into fights. 

Fast forward, to early 1990's.  I was in a bar in Chicago, loud music, silly string type of place.  Suddenly a fight breaks out, I go jump in the middle to pull apart people, and a knife went flying through the air.  

I think that was my last attempt at breaking up a fight. 

1 hour ago, Mercury Man said:

As a youth, I was more of a 'Peacemaker'.  I would always break up fights on the playground.  I also tried to avoid getting into fights. 

Fast forward, to early 1990's.  I was in a bar in Chicago, loud music, silly string type of place.  Suddenly a fight breaks out, I go jump in the middle to pull apart people, and a knife went flying through the air.  

I think that was my last attempt at breaking up a fight. 

In high school when there's a fight a literal swarm of kids appears.  I once broke up a girl fight-the most common type of fight-and had to dig down thru bodies to get to the actual participants and wedge myself between them.  It was like spelunking in some bizzare living cave.  It was between two metal outside picnic tables so-swarm.  
Whenever students see a bunch of students running they know-fight.  so a crowd quickly forms running after them.  One day abt 10 students for a prank started running to develop crowds and get the PSOs stirred up.  Funny.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Not to nitpick, but Seals are not Special Forces. They are Special Operations. Only the guys guys with the Green Berets are Special Forces.

They are all Super Heroes.

Yes you are correct, special ops is the precise terminology for the Seals. I didn't think anyone would catch that lol. Most people know them as "forces". There are ODA teams in the Berets that would fall under that ops category and pretty much are indistinguishable from Seals. Whomever is on the receiving end of their "operations" however would probably think of it more as a force than an operation!

I feel like a superhero every time I go out on calls for my Fire Department.  Been through a number of fires and saved lives (heart attacks and overdoses). Here's a pic of myself with the red helmet in the pic from a First Responder newspaper,  a pic of a custom replica bike I had made based on an early 1900s fire bike, and on a somewhat comic book related note - our stump jumper 3-12-5 named The Suicide Squad (originally used by our department a few years before DC used it in the late 1950s).

FB_IMG_1618670400354.jpg

FB_IMG_1618665525577.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-130422_Gallery.jpg

Just like the previous post, I've been in public safety for almost three decades, been fighting cancer for almost 11 years now, but the best part is as a kid I used to wear the web shooters everywhere I went.

I felt like a superhero many times in my career, but never really liked the attention drawn to myself. For most, it's a calling and just what we do.

I have those web shooters somewhere, now I want to go find them! lol

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

12 minutes ago, Cushing Fan said:

I feel like a superhero every time I go out on calls for my Fire Department.  Been through a number of fires and saved lives (heart attacks and overdoses). Here's a pic of myself with the red helmet in the pic from a First Responder newspaper,  a pic of a custom replica bike I had made based on an early 1900s fire bike, and on a somewhat comic book related note - our stump jumper 3-12-5 named The Suicide Squad (originally used by our department a few years before DC used it in the late 1950s).

FB_IMG_1618670400354.jpg

FB_IMG_1618665525577.jpg

Screenshot_20210417-130422_Gallery.jpg

That last engine is awesome! Early in my career I worked for a public safety department so we were also fully trained firefighters. It was more of a part-time thing, but this reminds me of going to wildland firefighting school. Good times.

2 minutes ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

That last engine is awesome! Early in my career I worked for a public safety department so we were also fully trained firefighters. It was more of a part-time thing, but this reminds me of going to wildland firefighting school. Good times.

My Department was just practicing drills through the State park preserve this morning.  We have over 3,000 acres of woods in our town.

Screenshot_20210417-132544_Gallery.jpg