• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A dumb question about early Marvels, pre-1965

9 posts in this topic

When  calling books pre-1965 do you use the cover date or the publishing date?

As an example, Tales of Suspense 52 has a cover date of Jan. 1964, but came out in late 1963.  Would this be considered a 1963 book or a 1964 book?

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I go with cover dates for the same reason.  I use publishing dates primarily when I'm digging into the history of a comic.

+1

-bc

I use the earlier release date (if that's the date the book hit the newsstands) b/c that is by far the more significant date.  For example, June 5 is the date AF15 was officially unleashed onto the world to our collective and enduring enrichment.   Minds were first blown on THAT date (for the general public), so that date should be a national holiday, if you ask me.   The fresh-thru "AUG" date on AF15 cover pales in comparision (that is the date sellers were hoping to have sold enough issues before placing another, newer issue in its place on the rack/shelf).   Of course, it takes a little research sometimes to find the official release date, but finding the answer is often rewarding.  When folks are trying to figure out first appearances of characters/covers (like Spidey's 1st black costume), don't they prefer to use the date the book hit the stands?   

Edited by Pantodude

This is why I love date stamps on SA and GA books.  Conveniently, they generally reflect (either exactly or pretty close) the date the book hit the newsstands.  Looking at them could take you back in time, if you let them.  :) 

Edited by Pantodude

Agree with you 100%, Dude.

It’s just that when casually talking comics, it’s generally assumed that cover dates are being used. I wouldn’t correct someone for using a cover date. I only bring them up if we start getting into specifics.

Cover dates are useful for organizing and research, but I always go by newsstand arrival dates to classify books. For example, December of 1962 had a slew of great marvels (JIM 89, TOS 39, FF12, ASM 1) on the stands. These are all cover dated March, 1963 (except JIM 89 - Feb 63) but when I look at them they are the last of the 1962 marvels in my mind. 2c

Another major division for early Marvels are when the Ditko based “side bar” started in May, 1963 books (Feb 63 newsstand time - ASM 2, FF14) This is when the 12 cent bubble disappeared and was replaced by the side bar art and price boxes. 

Edited by Primetime

On 3/29/2021 at 6:49 AM, KCOComics said:

It's actually something I wondered about myself. 

For consistency I've always gone by cover date. Not sure how others feel. 

+ 1

GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu