• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White scuffs/smudges inside the slab - are these normal?

12 posts in this topic

This is my fifth graded comic that I’ve purchased, but the first that has these markings in them.  I am referring to little white marks, about a dozen or more of them, that are most visible against the darker colors of the comic.  I emailed CGC and received a reply that they are on the inside of the slab and are a “common effect.”  To me, they look like they are on the comic itself, but even if not, is this normal?  I know about newton rings, and this slab has several rainbow ones, but these white smudges are even less appealing to me than the newton rings.  I’m very curious if anyone else has experienced having these on a graded slab.

Edit: The first pictures are edited to highlight what I’m talking about.  The green circles are showing the white “smudges,” and the red circles are showing the rainbow newton rings.

51138B76-E93C-4F74-B312-791065278A4D.png

B93C8024-4857-4D0D-B9FD-0DEEC6214763.png

Edited by collectorBchris
Clarification

1 hour ago, ExNihilo said:

The red circle is indeed a Newton Ring and is common.  Are the green circles scuffing on the case?  Can't quite tell from the image.

The red and green circles are just edits done by me to show what I was referring to. Not sure if you’re being serious or not! :P

3 minutes ago, collectorBchris said:

The red and green circles are just edits done by me to show what I was referring to. Not sure if you’re being serious or not! :P

I get that.  The red circle shows an example of a Newton ring.  The green circles you made I'm less sure of just because it's hard to tell without actually having the slab in hand.  But all I can guess is that it could be scuffing.  If it is scuffing, you could always send the book to get reholdered.  Though, given the lengthy wait times currently, not sure if it's something I would currently do.

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I get that.  The red circle shows an example of a Newton ring.  The green circles you made I'm less sure of just because it's hard to tell without actually having the slab in hand.  But all I can guess is that it could be scuffing.  If it is scuffing, you could always send the book to get reholdered.  Though, given the lengthy wait times currently, not sure if it's something I would currently do.

Gotcha.  The white “scuffs” pretty much look the same in person as they do in the second picture I attached.  You can see them from any angle the slab is held at, and there are a lot of them.  I was mostly curious because if it is very common and acceptable, I’d keep it.  If not, it would seem I got a pretty flawed slab and imo should possibly decrease it’s value, at least from an aesthetic pov.  I find it odd that CGC would promote this as “common,” when it seems to be agreed that it is a defect.  

Thanks for the insight.

Edited by collectorBchris

I looked at most of my slabs and didn't notice any scuffs.  If anything, ask whomever you bought it from for a partial refund to cover the cost of reholdering.  Reholdering is $15 + shipping.  The last time I needed a book reholdered, the seller and I split the shipping cost.

Think yourself lucky, I had a human hair inside one of the slabs, from books I submitted directly.

At least I can use DNA to track who slabbed that book! 😀

I’ve also had slabs back that to me look grubby / water marks on the inside of the slab... probably the same person that had a cold and sneezing over them. 

your samples are incased for history my friend. 😉

On 3/29/2021 at 12:52 PM, collectorBchris said:

This is my fifth graded comic that I’ve purchased, but the first that has these markings in them.  I am referring to little white marks, about a dozen or more of them, that are most visible against the darker colors of the comic.  I emailed CGC and received a reply that they are on the inside of the slab and are a “common effect.”  To me, they look like they are on the comic itself, but even if not, is this normal?  I know about newton rings, and this slab has several rainbow ones, but these white smudges are even less appealing to me than the newton rings.  I’m very curious if anyone else has experienced having these on a graded slab.

Edit: The first pictures are edited to highlight what I’m talking about.  The green circles are showing the white “smudges,” and the red circles are showing the rainbow newton rings.

51138B76-E93C-4F74-B312-791065278A4D.png

B93C8024-4857-4D0D-B9FD-0DEEC6214763.png

I just got my Batman Damned back today after 9 months. And have the same problem. I called and they told me to send it back to be recased. But the blemish is on the cover from the case. They graded it 9.9 and I'm leary about sending it back. 

inbound552612268360440189.jpg

Just got a bunch back from CGC and about 5 of the books have white smudges.  One is real bad.  Another has a chip on the back of the case or it's a loose piece of plastic.  Pulling those out and CGC should reholder these.  They are brand new.  You'd think they'd look at this before sending out.  It would save them a lot more money on shipping and reworking on them just to have better QC.

Edited by EMazman