• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does 'White Pages' influence Silver Age key values.
4 4

64 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Just curious what those exceptions are if you don't mind me asking?

Off the top of my head I know I have an Amazing Spider-Man 125 9.8 with Off-White to White pages. There are only 76 graded 9.8’s on the CGC census. I had an opportunity to buy it in a multi book deal so I got it for a fair price. 

16 hours ago, SJay440 said:

I won’t buy books graded 9.8 or 9.6 in any other page quality besides white pages. I have one or two exceptions to that rule in my collection. This doesn’t really pertain to the silver age though as I don’t own many silver age books in a 9.8 or 9.6 haha. 

I'm with you.

My general rule is that if my target is 9.4 (Silver / Bronze), and I find a 9.6 OW/W at a good price, I'll be open to buying it (and I have several examples in my collection).  But for later books (Bronze / Copper / Modern), where my target is 9.6 or 9.8, it's white pages only.

Like you, I don't generally have 9.6 or 9.8 books from the Silver Age.  If I were hypothetically buying such a book, the census would probably influence my thinking -- in other words the more scarce a 9.6 or 9.8 is for that particular issue, the more I would be inclined to compromise on page quality.  But when you're talking about modern books with a plentiful supply of 9.8 WP copies in the census, I think it's madness to buy a 9.8 OW/W.  That book is always going to be significantly less desirable to modern collectors, and you will struggle to sell when the day comes.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

beggar can't be chooser, I'll take what I can get, so if a graded key is priced low due to cream pages, I'll take it

EDIT: my biggest pet peeve is more on off-centering, if I see that white line along spine, I'll avoid it like a plague, especially if it's not straight

Edited by IronMan_Cave

4 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I once saw a golden age Phantom Lady comic for sale and the CGC label said “Blue Pages”.  The cover looked completely normal though.   Does anyone know what environmental conditions makes this happen?  

It is the paper that Fox used. They can come back back blue or pink. Blue and pink are the Fox equivalent of white pages.

4 hours ago, IronMan_Cave said:

beggar can't be chooser, I'll take what I can get, so if a graded key is priced low due to cream pages, I'll take it

EDIT: my biggest pet peeve is more on off-centering, if I see that white line along spine, I'll avoid it like a plague, especially if it's not straight

Centering is much more important to me than page quality. I would rather have a perfectly centered ow or ow/w than a poorly centered white pages. I think this gets worse in the bronze and copper ages. I cringe when I see a high grade book with a 1/8" strip of white down the spine. I was always trained to downgrade for that. I have almost zero interest in books like that. My only interest is if it was cheap enough that I could make a few bucks on it, because it wouldn't stay in my collection. 

1 hour ago, Shrevvy said:

Centering is much more important to me than page quality. I would rather have a perfectly centered ow or ow/w than a poorly centered white pages. I think this gets worse in the bronze and copper ages. I cringe when I see a high grade book with a 1/8" strip of white down the spine. I was always trained to downgrade for that. I have almost zero interest in books like that. My only interest is if it was cheap enough that I could make a few bucks on it, because it wouldn't stay in my collection. 

I haven't bought a graded book in a while, but when I did centering was always very important to me. Every graded book I own has really nice centering, page quality was always second after that.

2 hours ago, Shrevvy said:

25 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

I haven't bought a graded book in a while, but when I did centering was always very important to me. Every graded book I own has really nice centering, page quality was always second after that.

We have great taste mate :golfclap:

11 minutes ago, Drummy said:

ps, I was not starting a fight about Stan's signature...some of them are fantastic, but there are some gross ones as well. 

And I own a Stan-signed book myself, so I'm not a hater! :foryou:

Dan 

Unfortunately, Stan Lee Sigs from the last 2-3 years of his life can be brutal..rest in peace Stan

Thanks for all the great feedback. I read them all. An amazing study by Pantodude.

From what I've read, it looks like there's no hard market evidence for WP comics selling for significantly more. Maybe its there in part but, no one has crunched enough numbers yet ?

I feel that if you're lucky enough to find something you really want with WP and the overall quality stacks up, then buy it. BUT don't pay tooooo much. I always keep an eye out for them. They're scarce in SA keys.

Its also clear that the sale price of a WP comic is affected by a multitude of factors all converging on the day of sale. Sometimes it sells for more sometimes it doesn't. It depends on who's bidding I suppose.

From an appearance point of view, I"ve found the front covers on OW/W often look as good as WP ones. Its the back cover that can show the difference. So, maybe this is another reason why we see similar sales prices?..not sure.

Thanks again, 

Colin

20 hours ago, Drummy said:

I think you're going to see ups and downs in the data here regarding page quality, as two things are important to keep in mind -- first, does the book have some other issue that would mitigate a 'white page' bump.  Bad wrap, chipping, writing on the cover, a gross Stan Lee signature, etc.  If the book is otherwise clean, though, I'd say that WP might push up prices 10-20% or so.

The other question is whether a book seems to be 'upgradable' with a press or some other practice.  Then the PQ doesn't matter nearly as much to certain bidders -- they will bid up the potential and not the actual grade.  A COW book that has a pressable crease will definitely go for more than a COW book without one.

For myself, I only bid on wp books so I know that I'm driving up the value on a few of them.  But just keep in mind that it's one factor among many that get people to bid big -- including how often a certain book ever has 'white pages' at all.  With regard to SA keys, I'd say anecdotally that TTA 27, AF 15, and maybe FF 13 are among the toughest to find with WP.

Dan

Agreed.  Many factors to consider.  I personally would pay a premium for certain books that are notoriously difficult to find with white pages such as AF15, TTA27, BB28, etc.  This is assuming the white pager is otherwise without deal breakers (for me) such as marvel chipping and BAD centering.  How much of premium?  Depends on how badly I want the book but I'd say not uncommon for me to pay half grade up or around10-20%