• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(show recently purchased) Silver Age Comics that are cooling down (or cold)
2 2

83 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, PKJ said:

Yep, not to me yet, the book just got to CL and they noticed the certification was different. I had them holding the shipment anyway to combine when I send a check for my auction wins.

I'm glad CL caught it before it got to you. 

You've been on a hot streak of working with world class sellers lately!

7 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I'm glad CL caught it before it got to you. 

You've been on a hot streak of working with world class sellers lately!

tough time being a buyer for me,lol. Now when a seller says they do not have a grade I am looking for I assume they just don't want me to have it 

4 hours ago, the blob said:

were they really that high? are you talking in slabs? i feel like i got about $100-150 for mine, but may not have timed it perfectly

and yeah, ultron always comes back. except the movie did not mage huge avengers money, so they might not be so quick to

I had to pull GPA to double check. 3 consecutive months where the average price of a 6.0 was $225+ and the 5.5's were around $150 during that time. In hindsight I should not have lumped the two grades together because those are very big price breaks for such similar grades. Also on the topic of the thread, origin issues from this era are also pretty reasonably priced AV 58 has that pretty cool avengers assemble cover (que repeat of first app white vision joke) and has the origin of both Vision and Ultron.

I don't really have anything that's actually lost value, but that said one of my foci is Steranko covers in 9.4/9.6.  They mostly haven't gone up for years (or only gone up a tiny bit).  Meanwhile the other "hot" artist of the 60's Neal Adams has gone through the roof in the last 5 years.

17 hours ago, the blob said:

I have a few of these in lower grade and every time i am tempted to list them I ask myself why bother? there's plenty of other stuff I can list to make $75 or whatever that doesn't have the long term potential,

Very smart.  Back in the day, when you could get an X-men #1 for about $300 in good, I found one with a huge date stamp on it for $100.  I decided I needed to buy something else later and sold it.  Why did I do that?  I didn't get much $$$ for it and I gave up all of that future potential.

27 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Oh, I have another one to share.  Found this for less than $100.  I know I got a good deal on it, but still...so much history for a C note!  (seller's photo)

ff28.jpg

Great early FF!

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Very smart.  Back in the day, when you could get an X-men #1 for about $300 in good, I found one with a huge date stamp on it for $100.  I decided I needed to buy something else later and sold it.  Why did I do that?  I didn't get much $$$ for it and I gave up all of that future potential.

A local shop here sold me a lower grade x-men for $300 or $400, I forget. This was maybe 10 years ago? He knew he was giving me a $200-300 discount, but he was cool, wanted to be nice, i paid in cash. At the time I was broke and this was almost all my money until next paycheck. I got home and some financial stuff is going on and we need money before the next paycheck. So up here it went for a quick sale, I think I cleared $200 on it. Wish I still had it. Even if it only graded out to a 1.5 (I thought it was a 1.8-2.0), those are $8-9K now.

13 minutes ago, the blob said:

A local shop here sold me a lower grade x-men for $300 or $400, I forget. This was maybe 10 years ago? He knew he was giving me a $200-300 discount, but he was cool, wanted to be nice, i paid in cash. At the time I was broke and this was almost all my money until next paycheck. I got home and some financial stuff is going on and we need money before the next paycheck. So up here it went for a quick sale, I think I cleared $200 on it. Wish I still had it. Even if it only graded out to a 1.5 (I thought it was a 1.8-2.0), those are $8-9K now.

That bites. Bottom line is:  Back then, it was a cold book. :) 

Yep, a lot of folks complaining about sky high prices, but there are a lot of SA books that sell for about what they did for in the early/mid 90s. I was going through my JIM box and saw a nice copy of 124 (2d Hercules?) and figured it is easy triple digits now. And yes, in a slab, in 7.5 or 8.0 it probably is, after i spend $50 with CGC, but I looked at completed sales and more mid-grade copies are going for about what my old shop would charge for these books back then:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=journey+mystery+124&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

The copy that sold for $25 (the $19 copy might have issues) I could totally see having a $25 sticker in my shop 25 years ago. Would he have negotiated it down to $15? Sure, for a regular, probably.

The copy that sold for $30 via best offer is pretty nice looking.

And arguably that is a book that should pop a little, he has been relevant in the comics in the last 20 years, and rumors are he might pop into the next movie.

Tons of Marvel SA that sells for the same now on ebay as the price stickers from my old shop circa 1993-1996. Was he selling them at those sticker prices so quickly? Probably not, true, there was negotiation, with regular customers at least.

And let's not even talk about DC filler books from the 60s in mid and lower grade that were $2-10 then and are $2-10 now.

2 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

That bites. Bottom line is:  Back then, it was a cold book. :) 

x-men 1 wasn't a cold book then. that's just what stuff cost. i sold a 3.5 raw DD 1 for like $300 here around then and a 3.5-4.0 ST 110 for $200.

2 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Oh, I have another one to share.  Found this for less than $100.  I know I got a good deal on it, but still...so much history for a C note!  (seller's photo)

ff28.jpg

I don't know if I would categorize FF #28 as a cold book... :smile:

But I do agree that you got a good deal on a very nice-presenting copy!

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

x-men 1 wasn't a cold book then. that's just what stuff cost. i sold a 3.5 raw DD 1 for like $300 here around then and a 3.5-4.0 ST 110 for $200.

Oh, I see, I went off on one of my tangents responding to someone's comment and my tangent has nothing to do with the thread. My bad.

How about this one?  The second appearance of Doom has moved up quite a bit, and I'm pretty sure this is Doom's third appearance, which hasn't moved much at all.  Has a Lee and Kirby appearance.  It's a "circle 12" too.  I think I can get the spine roll pressed out of this copy, and it was too cheap to pass it by. 

ff10cropped.jpg

Friend of mine went to a comic book show today and while he was at the show picked this book up along with another. I paid the dealer directly with PayPal from 100 miles away based on texted pictures.  This one is seems to be a “cold bargain”.  Issue number two is worth about three times as much, but this issue has a true first appearance (The Owl). Seems undervalued relative to issue number two.

248B5757-692A-4C69-9D01-FFC046D1BE6F.jpeg

On 4/8/2021 at 10:51 PM, thunsicker said:

I don't really have anything that's actually lost value, but that said one of my foci is Steranko covers in 9.4/9.6.  They mostly haven't gone up for years (or only gone up a tiny bit).  Meanwhile the other "hot" artist of the 60's Neal Adams has gone through the roof in the last 5 years.

For certain books. But there are a lot of good covers by him nobody cares about. A solid 6.5-7.5 12 or 15 cent good adams cover should be more than $10 but the folks putting money into the market now don't care unless it is a certified classic cover. 

While this book (Detective Comics 234) is not technically Silver Age it is close, and has the look of Silver Age. Issue #236 is noted as the first S.A. issue by Overstreet. There are only 29 graded issues for this book. For my informal requirements that is not enough supply so that collectors in each state could each own a copy. I'm not grumbling as I bought this book raw and it was under graded by the Ebay seller. :whatthe: That fact alone took me by surprise, as most sellers shamelessly over grade raw books.  For some reason demand for this book does not seem to be high, but sellers of slabbed books for this issue continue to list it for considerably over the guide price. Of course that is the norm. lol I noticed a 5.0 on sale for $300 on Ebay (Go Collect has a 5.0 at $190).  I thought that Go Collect had this book at around $400 two years ago, but a check now shows the value at $250 from 730 days ago, so it could be a case of faulty memory on my part.  $250 seem cheap to me considering it's 50's Detective Comics and relatively rare. (shrug)

TEC_234_CGC65C.jpg

Seller's photo.  (scan?)

Bought this one and I'm waiting for it in the mail.

What attracted me to it?  Simple...I've been looking at JIM books for a while, and I didn't remember seeing this one. And it seemed cheap. So I checked go collect and it confirmed my suspicion that these don't sell very often (or at least the sales aren't tracked).  Maybe it was low distribution  (I mean...if they can say that with Conan #3, why not?)   Anyway, absolutely NOTHING happens in this issue at all.  But it's early Marvel and the cover is classic.

jim92.jpg

Edited by Westy Steve