• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Site for Pricing Raw Comics?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Newbie question...  What's the best site for current prices for raw comics?  I have GPA for CGC'd books.  I'm considering unloading some of my raw books via here or eBay.

Thank you much.

V/R,

Mike

Edited by mlovest

1 hour ago, blazingbob said:

He said best site,  not best overgraded prices site

1 hour ago, Jeffro. said:

ebay completed sales need to be taken with a grain of salt in part because grading can vary so wildly. 

I still haven’t heard a better alternative answer, chime in if you have one 

I never said it was perfect and wouldn’t take some work and common sense to decipher the data/results

Another alternative is Nostomania. I wouldn't say its the best, but it is faster than sifting through Ebay completed sales. They tend to overvalue common issues and undervalue key books in my experience.  I have not used this site to check on Bronze or newer books, just Golden and Silver Age.

Oh when oh when will "ebay completed sales", with no caveat or context in sight, stop being the automatic answer to this oft asked question?

Ebay is a wild, wooly wilderness of vast cosmic complexity.  If you only go by completed sale prices of raw books without a deep and thorough inquisition of the actual facts present in each listing, enlisting the aid of your time honed comic book grading skills and some market knowledge concerning the comic book in question, then you are going to have a bad time.

eBay completed sales, while not entirely useless, are quite nearly so on the sheer face of them.

Of course if you CAN grade, and have handy bookmarks to several of the more popular/reputable dealer websites for comparison purposes, then ebay completed sales can be a fairly handy tool in your quest to avoid spending way too much on much too little!

I really like it when a book is auctioned by an inexperienced seller and sells for ten percent of what a comparable book would have sold for either as a buy it now listing or in an auction by a more experienced seller.  That can really throw a wrench in things. I feel bad for the seller when I see those listings. And I feel bad for me if it was a book I'd want and I missed the listing. ughgh. UGHGH

Edited by speedcake

I did pick up Comic Collector (Collectorz.com), and I understand it downloads prices.  I haven't broken it in enough to check it out yet.  Are its prices any good for graded and raw comics?  I note you can input the grades and CGC status.

V/R, Mike

Edited by mlovest

3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

He said best site,  not best overgraded prices site

It was easier when I just handed all my graded books to you to sell for me, Bob!  That seems like so long ago...

V/R, Mike

I don’t use websites, normally.  I’m still old fashioned and use a current Overstreet Price Guide.  I adjust prices according to my grade estimate and anything that makes the comic stand out...i.e. 1st appearances.  Never really considered using a website...just seemed to convoluted across the board...IMO. (thumbsu