• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which CGC comic is your most prized slab?
6 6

366 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, adamlui said:

For me, having only recently gotten into collecting graded comics, so far it is 9.8 Spawn #9, written by Neil Gaiman & signed by Todd McFarlane:

image.png.6d68214a29f893f838c96cd4994007e6.png

Reasons:

• Spawn toys were my favorite things to collect growing up (Spawn comics not so much)
  • My sister's name is Angela! (she makes first appearance)
  • Todd McFarlane is one of my idols, but only for his creative prowess as he was quite vicious as a businessman, going against his original creed for starting Image (preserving creator-owned rights) by battling Neil Gaiman for the rights to Angela in courts for over a decade (Neil prevailed then swiftly sold the rights to Marvel)
  • Jim Lee is one of my idols and drew a poster in the book

Which CGC comic is your pride and joy and why?

I have that issue too but with Stan Lee's sig as well as the Todd Father.   The man can draw and will always be my fav....  his spidys are hands down the best ever. 

1 hour ago, god503 said:

I have that issue too but with Stan Lee's sig as well as the Todd Father.   The man can draw and will always be my fav....  his spidys are hands down the best ever. 

Yes his Spideys are classic and wow what a combo! How much did it cost and when did you buy it?

45 minutes ago, adamlui said:

Your link didn't work for me, how much is it on eBay, what'd you pay and when did you buy it?

Don't know why there is a link.  I'm not selling it, not the way its appreciating the way it is.   I pickup the #9 last year for 400.  Just need to add gaimans sig

44 minutes ago, god503 said:

Don't know why there is a link.  I'm not selling it, not the way its appreciating the way it is.   I pickup the #9 last year for 400.  Just need to add gaimans sig

Any time you type that company name, the forum will automatically turn it into a link.  CGC probably gets a kickback from them if you follow the link to the website and purchase something.

52 minutes ago, god503 said:

Have you added signatures to slabbed comics before? Is the process you send it to CGC when they host a private Gaiman signing, then they unslab it, put window bag on, give it to him, witness the sig, then re-grade and re-slab?

58 minutes ago, adamlui said:
1 hour ago, god503 said:

Have you added signatures to slabbed comics before? Is the process you send it to CGC when they host a private Gaiman signing, then they unslab it, put window bag on, give it to him, witness the sig, then re-grade and re-slab?

If I remember, Neil Gaiman doesn't do comic signings.  He does book signing events at bookstores, but if you try to take a comic book, he won't sign it.  At least I think it was Neil (could be another book author I'm confusing him with).

If you are looking for another signature on an already signed Signature Series book, then you need to submit the slab through an authorized witness.  That person will crack out your book and be able to get the signature added without breaking the chain of custody.  If you are taking the book yourself to a con (when those become a thing again), you can take your book to the CGC booth and they will witness you opening the slab and removing the book.  They will then accompany you to the signing, thus maintaining the chain of custody.  Whatever you do...do not open the slab yourself without the explicit approval of a CGC witness.

43 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

If I remember, Neil Gaiman doesn't do comic signings.  He does book signing events at bookstores, but if you try to take a comic book, he won't sign it.  At least I think it was Neil (could be another book author I'm confusing him with).

If you are looking for another signature on an already signed Signature Series book, then you need to submit the slab through an authorized witness.  That person will crack out your book and be able to get the signature added without breaking the chain of custody.  If you are taking the book yourself to a con (when those become a thing again), you can take your book to the CGC booth and they will witness you opening the slab and removing the book.  They will then accompany you to the signing, thus maintaining the chain of custody.  Whatever you do...do not open the slab yourself without the explicit approval of a CGC witness.

What is an authorized witness? And in either scenario, does CGC re-grade the book or consider it same grade? And are you paying the regular reholder fee of $15 in addition to the signature fee? And if they are required to re-grade do you eat that cost too?

18 minutes ago, csaag said:

. . .Dollar wise the Hulk 181 8.5 I bought from them would be the winner

Awesome cover! What does Slight (C-1) mean?

1 minute ago, Angel of Death said:

The Dark Knight Returns #1 signed by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson. The series altogether is the whole prize, though, because they were all double-signed on the same day.

I read the graphic novel in a library or bookstore when I was younger, but much after it came out. The series is truly epic!