• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which CGC comic is your most prized slab?
6 6

366 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

What is an authorized witness? And in either scenario, does CGC re-grade the book or consider it same grade? And are you paying the regular reholder fee of $15 in addition to the signature fee? And if they are required to re-grade do you eat that cost too?

For the Signature Series program, CGC must witness the signing in order to qualify.  COA's or other such verification programs are not allowed.  As CGC cannot be on hand to witness the various signings going on at a con at a given time, they have authorized certain people to act as witnesses on their behalf.  These will usually come in the form of whomever is representing CGC on site.  In some cases it's a local comic shop who deals with CGC, in others it's a facilitator that can be found in the Signature Series subforum.  In any case, an "authorized witness" is someone who CGC has approved to act on its behalf to witness a signing.

Once the book is signed it's submitted for grading and all standard fees apply.  The book is re-graded (ie not automatically assigned the same grade as before) and the costs are all the same as though you were submitting for the first time.  (That is to say, it's not a re-holder.)

9 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

This copy of Zap Comix #1 1st print was salvaged from the Mowry’s Opera House fire. Apex Novelties’ Don Donahue rented loft-space in the old opera house to rock bands (Zepplin, the Dead), nude dancers, Rip Off Press, etc. The precise date of the fire is still a point of contention, but Donahue recalls that it was during the printing of C*nt Comics (c. 1969) that the loft caught fire, a “spectacular blaze” that burned the roof off and consumed approximately 500 copies of Zap Comix #1 (1st) stored on-site. Firefighters and police took copies of many comics as well, particularly copies of Snatch. 

I emailed Don Donahue in 2006, asked him if he saved anything from the fire, and to my surprise he replied "yes." Of the 12 examples brought to market, 11 were sold to Carbonaro (Neatstuff Collectibles) with the remaining copy sold to me. Neatstuff sold most of them at San Diego Comic Con 2007, and they range from copies that are little more than charred remains, to this one that shows minor water damage & scorching along the edges.

Capture.JPG.c42a004be757f113384f9e5ae561353a.JPGCapture1.JPG.0de8c3f9caafa64756fef21d2fc3f0e4.JPG

I must say, this comic has a very interesting story behind it. 

19 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

This copy of Zap Comix #1 1st print was salvaged from the Mowry’s Opera House fire. Apex Novelties’ Don Donahue rented loft-space in the old opera house to rock bands (Zepplin, the Dead), nude dancers, Rip Off Press, etc. The precise date of the fire is still a point of contention, but Donahue recalls that it was during the printing of C*nt Comics (c. 1969) that the loft caught fire, a “spectacular blaze” that burned the roof off and consumed approximately 500 copies of Zap Comix #1 (1st) stored on-site. Firefighters and police took copies of many comics as well, particularly copies of Snatch. 

I emailed Don Donahue in 2006, asked him if he saved anything from the fire, and to my surprise he replied "yes." Of the 12 examples brought to market, 11 were sold to Carbonaro (Neatstuff Collectibles) with the remaining copy sold to me. Neatstuff sold most of them at San Diego Comic Con 2007, and they range from copies that are little more than charred remains, to this one that shows minor water damage & scorching along the edges.

Capture.JPG.c42a004be757f113384f9e5ae561353a.JPGCapture1.JPG.0de8c3f9caafa64756fef21d2fc3f0e4.JPG

What is the publicity on the back lol

4 minutes ago, MAR1979 said:

Not in term of values but for nostalgia mine is one I found for $2 as child below a dealers table at a small local show in the mid 1980's and kept careful care of it. Sent to CGC 30+ years later for grading. Highest (and only) graded in entire series.

Enterprise-logs-1.thumb.jpg.45bc643048cde0aa1de83d37ee2e08dc.jpg

WOW! That IS amazing!

16 minutes ago, MAR1979 said:

Not in term of values but for nostalgia mine is one I found for $2 as child below a dealers table at a small local show in the mid 1980's and kept careful care of it. Sent to CGC 30+ years later for grading. Highest (and only) graded in entire series.

Enterprise-logs-1.thumb.jpg.45bc643048cde0aa1de83d37ee2e08dc.jpg

That’s a big ‘un. Kudos for your fastidiousness. Got a few nice ones myself.