• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which CGC comic is your most prized slab?
6 6

366 posts in this topic

My post is about age of comic not being taken into consideration by others. You quote it with I put my foot in mouth. I counter with an example via HA not factoring age. You replied HA != CGC when that's EXACTLY the point being made... that others like HA don't factor age, unlike CGC. So you truly did make two responses to two posts without connecting the logic, causing me to have to backtrack to cnnect it for you thus you created circular logic wasting both our time

On 3/31/2021 at 9:46 AM, Galen130 said:

Nothing as fancy as these posted CGC SS books, but this was my first comic as a kid.  

3E247730-6038-4318-A996-DBD3F78F2D0B.jpeg

I am moderately surprised how much attention this favorite of mine has received.  There are still purists out there. 👍😊🤙

1 hour ago, Adam Lui said:

I wasn't knocking you, just CGC. The age of a comic is not taken into consideration by most graders, revealing their clear motive to be less strict for more profit. As a reminder, here's their grading scale:

image.thumb.png.1d32dc4ac37f593c9d3d8d9970d7eb12.png

As you can see, 9.8 is the highest grade that allows for negligible manufacturing defects. As mentioned already, however, off-center staples AND off-center cover (to the point the DC logo is literally touching the edge) = hardly negligible (if it were only one or the other then it's negligible because not as glaringly noticeable) Combine that with the multiple ticks + wear along the right edge and "negligible" becomes impossible to most graders, making it 9.6 tops....

But as stated, you got extremely lucky that someone was probably having a good day or was a fan of the title/era. He even gave it WHITE when there it's clearly tan. Unless of course this is a regular occurrence where older comics are treated differently, in which case their grading scale is highly flawed because 9.8 should mean exactly what it says on the tin.... negligible defects (both handling and manufacturing yet this one has a lot combined) without accounting for age (since it is not explicitly stated as a factor), as low-grade GA's already demanded higher prices prior to CGC's existence, so it inflates it even MORE if they're truly factoring age as you claim

So first off that’s incorrect. The age of the comic is absolutely taken into account when grading due to the quality of paper. Big difference between paper from golden age 1951 and from anything in the modern age for example. To assume that’s not taken into account shows a lack of experience. As far as the off center parts that’s your opinion, I respectfully disagree those are “more negligible” as you say. No book is created equal when it comes off the press, and mine is simply more off center, but it’s still a slight “manufacturing defect”. Also I’m not sure why you reposted the same thing I posted with cgc’s grading tiers 🤷‍♂️, but thanks I guess lol. There’s no wear along the right edge, not sure what you’re talking about. There’s not tanning, so once again not sure what you think you see there. Regarding the last part you said, I don’t have an inkling of an idea what you mean by discussing golden age prices and how they grade. I’m simply explaining the page quality, and due to the fact it degrades naturally considerably more than a modern comic or copper or bronze, hence the reason it’s taken into account when factoring in condition. Anyway, everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, I simply disagree with you and feel it was graded appropriately.

4 minutes ago, vheflin said:

This one's got legs.

Well not for me it doesn’t, not anymore lol. I’ve said my peace, he can think what he wants but I’m done haha. At this point we’d only agree to disagree on anything further discussed. Especially when he’s going to start making up perceived additional defects about wear that’s not there to justify his point.

Edited by LDarkseid1

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Well not for me it doesn’t, not anymore lol. I’ve said my peace, he can think what he wants but I’m done haha. At this point we’d only agree to disagree on anything further discussed.

Several of us tried in earlier threads. We all came to the same conclusion.  

b00dd8e962e7ba0627218dab125a8b9b_1024.jpg.c1751e0cf551e7bef2540c56269c7834.jpg

1 minute ago, LDarkseid1 said:

So first off that’s incorrect. The age of the comic is absolutely taken into account when grading due to the quality of paper. Big difference between paper from golden age 1951 and from anything in the modern age for example. To assume that’s not taken into account shows a lack of experience.

I didn't say CGC doesn't factor paper quality, I said that others do NOT and showed an example by pasting HA's explanation on why NM/M is so rare among older books... because paper quality was lower (if they factored it then they would say "despite bad paper quality we grade higher"). I absolutely believe your implication that CGC does, but rather than ethically list it in their public criteria for grading, realize that they hide it and you can understand why (increased profit)

3 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No book is created equal when it comes off the press, and mine is simply more off center, but it’s still a slight “manufacturing defect”.

Your book contained multiple manufacturing defects + multiple handling defects, which by CGC's own public criteria for grading, warrants a lower than 9.8 (they use 'or" not "and")

5 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Also I’m not sure why you reposted the same thing I posted with cgc’s grading tiers 🤷‍♂️, but thanks I guess lol

Cause yours didn't show the minimum grade attainable for having manufacturing defects, which is important to establish to show if yours was on the edge

6 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

There’s no wear along the right edge, not sure what you’re talking about

Your edge wear appears here where black ink should exist:

image.png.a6470e9c535e456def04304a38422b07.png

7 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I’m simply explaining the page quality, and due to the fact it degrades naturally considerably more than a modern comic or copper or bronze, hence the reason it’s taken into account when factoring in condition.

And I said, I absolutely believe you that CGC takes such degradation factors into account when creating their grades, which other graders do not do (because there is less financial gain vs. increasing the popularity of an entire platform of a grading service itself). Here again is Heritage's explanation why low paper quality should result in LOWER grade:

image.thumb.png.b5535c228d5ba725f0e2ea4ae8483916.png

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicscarcity

1 minute ago, Testinadicalicious said:

I asked you if CGC had the same grading standards as HA. That's it. The rest is all your delusion.

You asked in response to my post proving that the standards were different. You teased me for insinuating that others do not grade like CGC, remember?

Are you salty that you got books back that didn’t get 9.8s so you’re choosing to nail this book for some reason, when it’s very apparent to most other that the book that sparked this entire thing is justifiable in its grade?

5 minutes ago, Testinadicalicious said:

I asked you if CGC had the same grading standards as HA. That's it. The rest is all your delusion.

Do you understand that you said I "put my foot in mouth" for suggesting there exist others that do not grade like CGC? So I posted evidence in the form of HA and you asked me why I posted it, stating they are not CGC when that was the point being made...

Just now, DocHoppus182 said:

Are you salty that you got books back that didn’t get 9.8s so you’re choosing to nail this book for some reason, when it’s very apparent to most other that the book that sparked this entire thing is justifiable in its grade?

I can not possibly be as I have never submitted a book to CGC (and don't intend to for these alarming reasons). The earth was very apparently flat to most of the population at one time in history, does that make them right by your logic?

1 minute ago, Adam Lui said:

I can not possibly be as I have never submitted a book to CGC (and don't intend to for these alarming reasons). The earth was very apparently flat to most of the population at one time in history, does that make them right by your logic?

Alarming reasons?  I’m not interested in a debate with you bud.