• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cgc should stop receiving cards
1 1

166 posts in this topic

Everything is in an enormous bubble. Sports cards, Pokemon, you name it. To buy any of it as a long term investment at the moment is bonkers. The equivalent of finding the most overpriced stock on the market and yoloing money into it like GME. The people that got in before got rich, the people buying in now are most likely going to get railed so hard they'll need a wheelchair.

Get in early, get big $$. Get in before correction, get big pounding.

Written by a wet tissue paper handed mofo.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat

I will respect you all have your strategies.

I have mine.

Mine have worked VERY well for me over my life.

I do not think mine is the best, I think it's the best for me.

You all very much do the same, go do you. :) I'll go do me.

2 minutes ago, Toybot said:

It's relevant in that everyone tends to believe they are in the Golden Age for whatever their thing is. Sometimes that's true. But literally, LITERALLY every argument you made is a repeat of arguments from 2000.

I'm so stupid for getting Jungle/Fossil Boxes, don't you know they printed 10x more of those than Base 1st Edition? Man what a waste of money- they all said.

Why would I get Japanese Promo cards? No one cares about that. What a waste to get that CD and sealed southern islands pack or Neo Files- They all said.

You paid $100 for a PIECE OF CARDBOARD. God, you think that Charizard is going to be worth anything more then $40 in a year?- They all said.

I heard it all, it's all the same arguments. You think things have changed- life lesson:

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

I think I know what I am doing.

:)

The unlimited ones were printed to death. You have 1st editions, you dont even know your own stuff lol? Most of the unlimited stuff isnt worth that much unless its PSA 10 quality. At least when inflation is taken into consideration. SAme with all the CD and southern island cards. Your kind of off in terms of your numbers. But even so, 1500 to 100k, with inflation, thats like a 20-30% return. And you have to take out another 15% to auction it all off, so yeah, congrats, you have returns probably equal to the average stock market returns. Not super impressive.

Holding on to old boxes was a crazy thing to do. Its like the dude who bought out all the hand sanitizer before covid hit. Yeah, im sure most people thought that guy was nuts and in a way he kind of was. But he ended up getting lucky (in his case, not really since he couldnt sell it on ebay or amazon). Just dumb luck man. None of what you did took any real thought.

6 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Everything is in an enormous bubble. Sports cards, Pokemon, you name it. To buy any of it as a long term investment at the moment is bonkers. The equivalent of finding the most overpriced stock on the market and yoloing money into it like GME. The people that got in before got rich, the people buying in now are most likely going to get railed so hard they'll need a wheelchair.

Get in early, get big $$. Get in before correction, get big pounding.

Written by a wet tissue paper handed mofo.

For real. Im at the point to where dealing with distributors is such a pain that I might just take a break. But I got in back in 2016 and made good money. Nobody has that same chance anymore. I dont wanna say Pokemon is the new Amway...but sometimes its not too far off LOL. People buying cardboard for lots of money with no real world application cant possibly go wrong....

2 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

The unlimited ones were printed to death. You have 1st editions, you dont even know your own stuff lol? Most of the unlimited stuff isnt worth that much unless its PSA 10 quality. At least when inflation is taken into consideration. SAme with all the CD and southern island cards. Your kind of off in terms of your numbers. But even so, 1500 to 100k, with inflation, thats like a 20-30% return. And you have to take out another 15% to auction it all off, so yeah, congrats, you have returns probably equal to the average stock market returns. Not super impressive.

Holding on to old boxes was a crazy thing to do. Its like the dude who bought out all the hand sanitizer before covid hit. Yeah, im sure most people thought that guy was nuts and in a way he kind of was. But he ended up getting lucky (in his case, not really since he couldnt sell it on ebay or amazon). Just dumb luck man. None of what you did took any real thought.

First off- YOU do not know what my collection is. If you followed a single thread I made pertaining to my collection you would know I know. Please leave the twitter talk to twitter.

Second- You still are not getting it. That is LITERALLY the argument put forward to me. That FIRST EDITION FOSSIL/JUNGLE was printed TEN TIMES MORE THAN 1ST EDITION BASE. I am sure you literally would be the one telling me that 20something years ago cause everyone did. Stop acting like you know what I am doing or how I operate, you clearly know nothing about some stranger on the internet or the decades of history involved in that from just a couple posts.

Third- Just to prove you know nothing about this vintage stuff I grew up with: I honestly forget right now if it was Fossil or Jungle cause I get the 2 mixed up ALL the time still, but one of their EARLY unlimited runs is worth WAY more due to all the holos missing the Series Symbol. So to say their unlimited runs are worthless shows you do not know the nuances. No, I do not own such a box because I could not afford to gamble buying those unlimited boxes and not knowing if it was an error ones by the time I found out. Again, 2000s before smart phones I was very aware but unable to act so I did the best I could.

Fourth- Money has not inflated almost double in 25 years... I can prove this to you. Those 1st Edition boxes I THINK cost me like $200 each. I could not buy a decent bicycle for $200 in 2000. Hell, that couldn't even get you a top GPU in 2000. Today, they are worth ~$20,000 each(give or take a couple grand). I can buy a new car with one of those booster boxes today. I think you're view on inflation is quite skewed.

I bought 30 bottles of hand sanitizer for WuFlu back in early Feb. I gave them out to my local community like Fire Stations, Schools, Police, etc in March cause I knew people would be stupid and buy it all up at once and everyone around me would be left with nothing. Again, tell me I don't know what I am doing =/

4 minutes ago, Toybot said:

First off- YOU do not know what my collection is. If you followed a single thread I made pertaining to my collection you would know I know. Please leave the twitter talk to twitter.

Second- You still are not getting it. That is LITERALLY the argument put forward to me. That FIRST EDITION FOSSIL/JUNGLE was printed TEN TIMES MORE THAN 1ST EDITION BASE. I am sure you literally would be the one telling me that 20something years ago cause everyone did. Stop acting like you know what I am doing or how I operate, you clearly know nothing about some stranger on the internet or the decades of history involved in that from just a couple posts.

Third- Just to prove you know nothing about this vintage stuff I grew up with: I honestly forget right now if it was Fossil or Jungle cause I get the 2 mixed up ALL the time still, but one of their EARLY unlimited runs is worth WAY more due to all the holos missing the Series Symbol. So to say their unlimited runs are worthless shows you do not know the nuances. No, I do not own such a box because I could not afford to gamble buying those unlimited boxes and not knowing if it was an error ones by the time I found out. Again, 2000s before smart phones I was very aware but unable to act so I did the best I could.

Fourth- Money has not inflated almost double in 25 years... I can prove this to you. Those 1st Edition boxes I THINK cost me like $200 each. I could not buy a decent bicycle for $200 in 2000. Hell, that couldn't even get you a top GPU in 2000. Today, they are worth ~$20,000 each(give or take a couple grand). I can buy a new car with one of those booster boxes today. I think you're view on inflation is quite skewed.

I bought 30 bottles of hand sanitizer for WuFlu back in early Feb. I gave them out to my local community like Fire Stations, Schools, Police, etc in March cause I knew people would be stupid and buy it all up at once and everyone around me would be left with nothing. Again, tell me I don't know what I am doing =/

You just showed me 1st ed boxes LOL. What am I supposed to think when your showing me a certain part of your collection?

And second, no it wasnt. 1st ed only gets printed X amount and then thats it. To be fair, Base Set 1st ed was barely printed in the first place. All the 1st ed sets did not have high print runs. Your mixed up with unlimited.

3rd, its not worth 20k. You have to pay fees on the internet to get that 20k, and they are taking at least 10% from you. So its more like 18k. And outside of a decent Toyota or a Kia, I dont know what kind of new car your getting. Your not getting no Tesla with that kind of money. 

Finally, you have zero auction house experience to say anything (at least from what your telling me). I sell on auction houses and I get what I get along with I watch what stuff goes for. Clearly, you dont. Why are you chiming in when you dont even know what your talking about? Your overinflating your abilities and your experience. Dont try to BS me lol. I dont even know what you think you have to gain anyway. We are just talking on an internet message board. I dont care what you do with your money, but your "investments" are not as great and as well planned as you like to believe.

And you miss the point. Im saying the guy with the corona stuff got lucky. If you came to me in 2019 december and told me that you were going to buy out a bunch of hand sanitizier and toilet paper since you think corona is coming, Id think your nuts. Your having results oriented thinking. Your not thinking about the best choices that you could have made. You made a random decision and it worked out. You didnt make the best decisions and got rewarded is what Im saying.

Edited by geraldfordfan69

Why are you guys trying to tell the dude who's holding the bag that he doesn't know how to do it? I really question why a lot of people are in this hobby. Takes too long to grade and the bubble is gonna pop and ruin all the value. Maybe you guys should exit now and find something happier to do.

4 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

Why are you guys trying to tell the dude who's holding the bag that he doesn't know how to do it? I really question why a lot of people are in this hobby. Takes too long to grade and the bubble is gonna pop and ruin all the value. Maybe you guys should exit now and find something happier to do.

2G0lIPP.gif.760d30fc93e6645fe170a0ef48166e78.gif

5 minutes ago, Ron Churches said:

This is much as a hobby as watching netflixs. Can we stop calling it a hobby lol? Hoarding cardboard isnt exactly a real pastime. Im sure people will disagree and call me dumb, but lets try to keep it 100%.

Just now, geraldfordfan69 said:

This is much as a hobby as watching netflixs. Can we stop calling it a hobby lol? Hoarding cardboard isnt exactly a real pastime. Im sure people will disagree and call me dumb, but lets try to keep it 100%.

It sounds, again, like a you thing. From what I can tell, you're taking your singular perspective and extrapolating it on the whole. 

4 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

tenor-1.gif.8d69e01c7bc9c36ce51e2ec31b212a67.gif

22 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

You just showed me 1st ed boxes LOL. What am I supposed to think when your showing me a certain part of your collection?

And second, no it wasnt. 1st ed only gets printed X amount and then thats it. To be fair, Base Set 1st ed was barely printed in the first place. All the 1st ed sets did not have high print runs. Your mixed up with unlimited.

3rd, its not worth 20k. You have to pay fees on the internet to get that 20k, and they are taking at least 10% from you. So its more like 18k. And outside of a decent Toyota or a Kia, I dont know what kind of new car your getting. Your not getting no Tesla with that kind of money. 

Finally, you have zero auction house experience to say anything (at least from what your telling me). I sell on auction houses and I get what I get along with I watch what stuff goes for. Clearly, you dont. Why are you chiming in when you dont even know what your talking about? Your overinflating your abilities and your experience. Dont try to BS me lol. I dont even know what you think you have to gain anyway. We are just talking on an internet message board. I dont care what you do with your money, but your "investments" are not as great and as well planned as you like to believe.

And you miss the point. Im saying the guy with the corona stuff got lucky. If you came to me in 2019 december and told me that you were going to buy out a bunch of hand sanitizier and toilet paper since you think corona is coming, Id think your nuts. Your having results oriented thinking. Your not thinking about the best choices that you could have made. You made a random decision and it worked out. You didnt make the best decisions and got rewarded is what Im saying.

Ok- This will be the last response and I am done.

1- Yes I did showcase you those boxes(as well as slabs of 1st edition stuff, do you not see that 1st Edition Blastoise?). You thought I didn't know they were 1st edition just cause I was too lazy to type it all out. That or you are not participating in this discussion in good faith and I got sinked into a twitter talk. Pick, both are not great.

2. Accept it. People 20 years ago told me it was dumb to get those Fossil and Jungle 1st Editions because they printed more of those than ALL of Base 1st edition AND unlimited. That was THEIR ARGUMENT. That if I wanted to buy something worthwhile I should just buy unlimited Base. I believe 100%, based on my talks so far with you, that you are EXACTLY that same type of person doing the same today. Go ahead, keep doing you. I will do me cause it works for me.

3. Like I would auction off 20k and let them take 10% on a single item. I know how to sell my stuff, and boy do I have stuff. You do not even want to know how much ammo I moved last year. Begins with M.

4. Again- like I would let an auction house take my money at 10% on a 20k item lol 

5. I was the guy in 2019 saying that. I was watching China. I pay attention to international news. If you paid as much attention as I was, you would have seen it too. I wasn't sure back then how bad it was gonna get but I saw the writing on the wall and acted as best as I could.

Edit: I forgot to reply to the part about "it can get ya a Toyota lol". Did you not read? I paid less for a box than a decent bike would cost me at the same time period, that same box NOW can get me a NEW CAR. And you're response is it's not a en Tesla? You sound ultra privileged you know? The best car we had growing up was some smoke stanked 1980's Ford Taures growing up. I think I'm doing pretty damn good, Tesla or not... 

Now listen, again this is the last time I am going to respond if you're next one is going to clearly ignore what I put effort into trying to tell you. Too many times you skimmed through what I was saying and thus do not even understand.

Leave the twitter Clap Back, Snap Back talk or I'm just not gonna share anymore.

Edited by Toybot

19 minutes ago, Toybot said:

Ok- This will be the last response and I am done.

1- Yes I did showcase you those boxes(as well as slabs of 1st edition stuff, do you not see that 1st Edition Blastoise?). You thought I didn't know they were 1st edition just cause I was too lazy to type it all out. That or you are not participating in this discussion in good faith and I got sinked into a twitter talk. Pick, both are not great.

2. Accept it. People 20 years ago told me it was dumb to get those Fossil and Jungle 1st Editions because they printed more of those than ALL of Base 1st edition AND unlimited. That was THEIR ARGUMENT. That if I wanted to buy something worthwhile I should just buy unlimited Base. I believe 100%, based on my talks so far with you, that you are EXACTLY that same type of person doing the same today. Go ahead, keep doing you. I will do me cause it works for me.

3. Like I would auction off 20k and let them take 10% on a single item. I know how to sell my stuff, and boy do I have stuff. You do not even want to know how much ammo I moved last year. Begins with M.

4. Again- like I would let an auction house take my money at 10% on a 20k item lol 

5. I was the guy in 2019 saying that. I was watching China. I pay attention to international news. If you paid as much attention as I was, you would have seen it too. I wasn't sure back then how bad it was gonna get but I saw the writing on the wall and acted as best as I could.

Edit: I forgot to reply to the part about "it can get ya a Toyota lol". Did you not read? I paid less for a box than a decent bike would cost me at the same time period, that same box NOW can get me a NEW CAR. And you're response is it's not a en Tesla? You sound ultra privileged you know? The best car we had growing up was some smoke stanked 1980's Ford Taures growing up. I think I'm doing pretty damn good, Tesla or not... 

Now listen, again this is the last time I am going to respond if you're next one is going to clearly ignore what I put effort into trying to tell you. Too many times you skimmed through what I was saying and thus do not even understand.

Leave the twitter Clap Back, Snap Back talk or I'm just not gonna share anymore.

I own a toyota. Its a boring car but it is what it is. Its not exciting but at the same time its not worth bragging about. But my point is that your returns are on a similar level of the stock market and you think its impressive. With the stock market, its clicks of a button. With cards, you have to package them up and ship to them auction house and wait to get paid. Its just not as impressive as you think.

You could have bought some stock and had similar outcomes. Thats why im not very impressed. You could have worked less and gotten similar, if not more money. This is why I cringe when people talk about Pokemon as an "investment". Stop. Play with the cards, have some fun with them, learn the game, whatever. But please stop pushing it like a stock. Please stop bragging about your OCD lead to you making money. Dumb luck, nobody should do it, run if you read this. It hurts my brain and thats where I will leave it.

Edited by geraldfordfan69

One of my favorite cars of all time is a 2008(not 2009 with all the added garbage like ABS) Yaris Hatch. MAN what a neutral and predictable car. I would take off ramps sideways in that thing all day long. What a blast. Even more fun to edge away from cars like GTRs on the ramps to watch em fly by and having that bragging rights of how long it'll take for em to pass on the straight.

I was 13. I knew nothing about stock. I never claimed I made the 100% best choices in life, only I did the best I could given my circumstances.

I started off wanting to play. You know how hard it was to ever play cause you couldn't afford a full deck? Then to find out you had some skills to help you attain those cards and gather a collection?

BTW, My Mr. Mime Deck would wreck you, it wrecked everyone.

I am unfamiliar with stocks. What stocks can I have at home to look at? What stocks can I buy now and expect to be around in 25 years? What stocks can I hand down to my child?

I am all 3 catagories. Player, investor, collector. Rare, but true. Look at my boxes as proof :)

Do I play Pokemon today? Nah, I like Digital TCG games more like Hearthstone. Sorry, Digital just brings a game mechanic dynamic you can not have with physical cards. Plus I play for free in the Battlegrounds so :P 

But my kid is 4 1/2, he is starting his own collection. When he's old enough to read and know how to play the game I am sure I'll pickup whatever generation of TCG Pokemon to play.

Btw, some of my brothers collection:

20210322_010456.thumb.jpeg.5d3239003461697e6bed15b4c3451cd2.jpeg

As you can see, he is very happy he listened to me 20 years ago.

Edited by Toybot

15 minutes ago, Toybot said:

One of my favorite cars of all time is a 2008(not 2009 with all the added garbage like ABS) Yaris Hatch. MAN what a neutral and predictable car. I would take off ramps sideways in that thing all day long. What a blast. Even more fun to edge away from cars like GTRs on the ramps to watch em fly by and having that bragging rights of how long it'll take for em to pass on the straight.

I was 13. I knew nothing about stock. I never claimed I made the 100% best choices in life, only I did the best I could given my circumstances.

I started off wanting to play. You know how hard it was to ever play cause you couldn't afford a full deck? Then to find out you had some skills to help you attain those cards and gather a collection?

BTW, My Mr. Mime Deck would wreck you, it wrecked everyone.

I am unfamiliar with stocks. What stocks can I have at home to look at? What stocks can I buy now and expect to be around in 25 years? What stocks can I hand down to my child?

I am all 3 catagories. Player, investor, collector. Rare, but true. Look at my boxes as proof :)

Do I play Pokemon today? Nah, I like Digital TCG games more like Hearthstone. Sorry, Digital just brings a game mechanic dynamic you can not have with physical cards. Plus I play for free in the Battlegrounds so :P 

But my kid is 4 1/2, he is starting his own collection. When he's old enough to read and know how to play the game I am sure I'll pickup whatever generation of TCG Pokemon to play.

Btw, some of my brothers collection:

20210322_010456.thumb.jpeg.5d3239003461697e6bed15b4c3451cd2.jpeg

As you can see, he is very happy he listened to me 20 years ago.

I own a Yaris. Its a boring car lol. Wouldnt say its my favorite. Its reliable, it does what it needs to do, but its not exciting in any universe. Its not the car of my dreams nor is it something that people should aspire to. I dont know how you can brag about toyotas with a straight face. Hondas are at least semi luxury and are cheap. But nobody really brags about Hondas either.

I dont feel like you really played the game either since the haymaker deck, the tier 1 deck of the game, wasnt expensive. It was mostly rares and starter deck cards. You like many kids like myself just didnt know what we were doing. The only semi expensive deck was Rain Dance Blastoise just because you needed 4 Blastoise from Base Set. I cant think of any haymaker cards that were remotely expensive. The Pokemon TCG has never been and will never been an expensive TCG. Its the cheapest out there.

Stocks like anything is something you need to learn. Im not a stocks expert, but on average, even the person with the least knowledge can find a way to get 5-10% returns. And thats what you got with Pokemon. 5-10% at best. Thats extremely average. Thats why I face palm when people think Pokemon returns are crazy. With inflation and the opportunity cost, they are just average with more work involved. Nothing to write home about what so ever.

6 minutes ago, geraldfordfan69 said:

I own a Yaris. Its a boring car lol. Wouldnt say its my favorite. Its reliable, it does what it needs to do, but its not exciting in any universe. Its not the car of my dreams nor is it something that people should aspire to. I dont know how you can brag about toyotas with a straight face. Hondas are at least semi luxury and are cheap. But nobody really brags about Hondas either.

I dont feel like you really played the game either since the haymaker deck, the tier 1 deck of the game, wasnt expensive. It was mostly rares and starter deck cards. You like many kids like myself just didnt know what we were doing. The only semi expensive deck was Rain Dance Blastoise just because you needed 4 Blastoise from Base Set. I cant think of any haymaker cards that were remotely expensive. The Pokemon TCG has never been and will never been an expensive TCG. Its the cheapest out there.

Stocks like anything is something you need to learn. Im not a stocks expert, but on average, even the person with the least knowledge can find a way to get 5-10% returns. And thats what you got with Pokemon. 5-10% at best. Thats extremely average. Thats why I face palm when people think Pokemon returns are crazy. With inflation and the opportunity cost, they are just average with more work involved. Nothing to write home about what so ever.

Man, you just aren't aware how amazing Yaris are. They are like the 86 of our time. I was lapping Porches on HPDEs in one cause my STi was down. RWD is an over valued platform for most people. FWD is just so much more fun, especially in sub 3000 pounds. RWD feels more like a chore -.-0 Careful not to overlift! Careful not to Trail Brake too much! Careful not to get back on the gas too hard! Careful not to blah blah blah. FWD don't give 2 fs, Just brake hard into a trail brake and smash the gas, hit the apex with a big s eating grin- what makes it so fun.

I did say several times I am not in the flipping game right now, correct? I hustled in the OG so I know what you are talking about those small gains is all it is, just done as many times as you can. I get it.

But- again, I am not in the FLIP game anymore. Like you said, it only makes so much money now compared to a normal job. And unlike a normal job, there's no stability. I simply changed my assets from some of my Silver(not my good stuff like Mint Fresh 1944 and under silver coins in rolls[dime, nickel, quarter, half and full dollar or Silver ATBs). I barely spent a penny of my liquid cash on any of this.

So far, I have double-tripled my value in a week. Again- ON A LONG INVESTMENT. I am happy :)