• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I never seen this add saying $1800. Fun new topic for the night

74 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

It was the 1960's  EC paperback's that got me hooked.

I collected MAD so as I got further back I discovered the EC early issues. While looking for them, I often encountered the other ones. My uncle gave me a handful of his originals and then a copy of that large oversized book. I was hooked. I also grabbed those PBS as well. 

I sold my original collection in the fall of 1977 and used the money to buy a 72 Camaro. I really wanted a Firebird but they were about $300 more.  The only book I kept was my AF 15, which I sold a year or two later for about $125. 

My collection was mostly  copies of every comic published from mid 73 to mid 77, plus a lot of SA Marvel. DD 1, Avengers 1, I had most of the Avengers and a solid X-Men run from about 7 up. I'd traded a then uber-rare copy of Classics Comics Great Expectations for about thirty SA X-Men and the dealer thought he was getting the better of the deal.

I loved those DC over-sized books, more than the Marvel Treasury books they competed with.  Then Marvel am out with it's Origins, Son of Origins, ect,ect. 

One Christmas I got both Origins of Mar vel Comics, and a boxed set of LOTRs.  

What a magical time.

48 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Base MSRP for a '73 Mustang was around $2900, so I suspect Mitch is either misremembering the price he paid, or it wasn't exactly brand new. Of course it didn't take long for vehicles to lose half their value back in the 70s, so it might have felt "brand new". I purchased a '72 Catalina wagon with 70K on it in 1979 for the princely sum of $250.  The run up in gas prices totally destroyed the resale value of gas guzzlers.

Yeah, there was nothing like getting 15 miles to the gallon...lol

3 hours ago, rjpb said:

Base MSRP for a '73 Mustang was around $2900, so I suspect Mitch is either misremembering the price he paid, or it wasn't exactly brand new. Of course it didn't take long for vehicles to lose half their value back in the 70s, so it might have felt "brand new".

I didn't want to counter what Mitch said he purchased his Mustang for, and believe that the price he quoted must have been for a used vehicle. 

In December 1972 we bought a brand new '73 3 door Pinto hatchback for a little over $1800, in cash. It was a loss leader advertised on TV, stripped.  4 on the floor and no radio (which I later installed, bought from an electronics parts house).

When we got to the dealership and I asked for the car, I was told that it had been sold hours earlier, but they had others (of course at higher prices).  I pulled out $1900 cash from my pocket, and said, "gee, that's too bad, I was gonna pay cash".  The salesman said, "follow me", and we drove to a storage lot half a mile away.  When he unlocked the gate, there must have been 20 of them in there.  He said, "pick one".  That's a fond memory, LOL!

59 minutes ago, fifties said:

I didn't want to counter what Mitch said he purchased his Mustang for, and believe that the price he quoted must have been for a used vehicle. 

In December 1972 we bought a brand new '73 3 door Pinto hatchback for a little over $1800, in cash. It was a loss leader advertised on TV, stripped.  4 on the floor and no radio (which I later installed, bought from an electronics parts house).

When we got to the dealership and I asked for the car, I was told that it had been sold hours earlier, but they had others (of course at higher prices).  I pulled out $1900 cash from my pocket, and said, "gee, that's too bad, I was gonna pay cash".  The salesman said, "follow me", and we drove to a storage lot half a mile away.  When he unlocked the gate, there must have been 20 of them in there.  He said, "pick one".  That's a fond memory, LOL!

But it was a Pinto...:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

But it was a Pinto...:roflmao:

Laff all you want.  It was our first new car, got great gas mileage, and the hatchback style lent itself to moderate hauling.  We were saving for a house, so there was a limit on the transportation budget at that time.:nyah:

The Pinto and the Vega were huge when they fist came out. They were the first of the next generation of American cars that was going to end the growing trend of imports. One of them was heavily advertised as being $1919 nicely equipped.  My parents were looking for a second car and were interested but it was a several month wait to get one, and you had little choice. You got to choose from whatever car got delivered that week. 

They went with a 65 Nova wagon off the used lot that lasted another six years. That was longer than the average Pinto or Vega.

I liked the look of the Pinto wagon, and Ford even did a wagon conversion that looked like a custom van.

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Micheal,

Mmehdy, who posted near the top of page two in this thread, is Mitchell Mehdy, the guy who spent $1800 for an Action 1 in 1973.

Richard,

His post is also simple that is also overlooked easily. Yes, I admitted that I skipped 2nd page. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

2 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Richard,

His post is also simple that is also overlooked easily. Yes, I admitted that I skipped 2nd page. Thanks for pointing it out for me.

Welcome to the forum Michael...:baiting:lol

Sometimes this is even more fun than the sales threads...

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

The Pinto and the Vega were huge when they fist came out. They were the first of the next generation of American cars that was going to end the growing trend of imports. One of them was heavily advertised as being $1919 nicely equipped.  My parents were looking for a second car and were interested but it was a several month wait to get one, and you had little choice. You got to choose from whatever car got delivered that week. 

They went with a 65 Nova wagon off the used lot that lasted another six years. That was longer than the average Pinto or Vega.

I liked the look of the Pinto wagon, and Ford even did a wagon conversion that looked like a custom van.

The Pinto and the Vega as well as the Maverick had aluminum block engines. The pistons just rammed into the block, leaking oil and thusly froze the engine. Their average life span was pretty short. I live in the car culture center of the US. I can’t remember the last time I’ve seen one on the street. 

My little brother bought a Vega wagon new. I really liked it. It was a manual 4 speed with posatraction. It looked like a little Camaro. He blew the motor in 3 years and eventually put in a short block 6 cylinder and drove it a couple more years.