• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I never seen this add saying $1800. Fun new topic for the night

74 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Hey Mitchell. Just wondered if you still have AC #1 today.

I suspected everyone knows you longer before I just learned about you.  I was born ten year too late.  :(

Not the one in the picture, if you had  a previous thead here on the forms   on "Journey of a comic book collector" posts on the boards for a more detailed one, other A-1's were acquired after that purchase which were superior in condition to that copy. That copy was resold back to Bruce Hamiltion for $2500 who then sold it for a profit. I might of sold two copies to Bruce, the other one to bruce being a vg copy, if FYI that cost me 1k at the time after the $1800.  I cannot recall what he paid me for that one.

Edited by Mmehdy

3 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Not the one in the picture, if you a previous thead here on the forms   on Journey of a comic book collector posts on the boards for a more detailed one, other A-1's were acquired after that purchase which were superior in condition to that copy. That copy was resold back to Bruce Hamiltion for $2500 who then sold it for a profit. I might of sold two copies to Bruce, the other one to bruce being a vg copy, if FYI that cost me 1k at the time after the $1800. 

Amazing journey.  I am sure that you wished to keep it for longer. Thanks.

48 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I got the tales from the crypt and then this one and both were great...it seemed forever for vault of horror to come out, those were the good old days in which rows and rows of paperbacks were in drug stores etc..

This one really hit me in the face. I was collecting MAD and had no idea that it was once a comic book. I got this and finally realized it. My first one was #9. It was like holding something out of King Tut's tomb. Took me a couple of years mostly orfering through the mail to complete my MAD collection.

pbinsidemad3.jpg

4 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Hey Mitchell. Just wondered if you still have AC #1 today.

I suspected everyone knows you longer before I just learned about you.  I was born ten year too late.  :(

I think he has a great collection of traffic tickets :popcorn:I never seen one book he still owne  (thumbsu But i did have a few drinks :whistle:I guess i wake up at 3am than delete this post

Edited by woowoo

On 4/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, Robot Man said:

This one really hit me in the face. I was collecting MAD and had no idea that it was once a comic book. I got this and finally realized it. My first one was #9. It was like holding something out of King Tut's tomb. Took me a couple of years mostly orfering through the mail to complete my MAD collection.

pbinsidemad3.jpg

The first time I saw the Mad paperbacks that reprinted the comics I couldn't figure out what those comics were...They didn't look like the magazine...lol

On 4/2/2021 at 4:41 PM, Mmehdy said:

Not the one in the picture, if you had  a previous thead here on the forms   on "Journey of a comic book collector" posts on the boards for a more detailed one, other A-1's were acquired after that purchase which were superior in condition to that copy. That copy was resold back to Bruce Hamiltion for $2500 who then sold it for a profit. I might of sold two copies to Bruce, the other one to bruce being a vg copy, if FYI that cost me 1k at the time after the $1800.  I cannot recall what he paid me for that one.

Sir.....I guess I have to ask this.  Do you have any comics left?  or did you sell them all to go thru law school?  

I love reading the old school guys talk about a time I wish I were around to see.  The GA era for me was real art, real gorgeous covers, the stuff made after that to me just isnt the same.  

1 hour ago, SOLAR BOY said:

I love reading the old school guys talk about a time I wish I were around to see.  The GA era for me was real art, real gorgeous covers, the stuff made after that to me just isnt the same.  

Eh eh, when my ma would go to the corner news stand in the early '50's and browse Life, Look, etc., I would be down the aisle in the comic book section.  The PCH book covers would scare the livin' daylights outa me! :wink: 

2 hours ago, fifties said:

Eh eh, when my ma would go to the corner news stand in the early '50's and browse Life, Look, etc., I would be down the aisle in the comic book section.  The PCH book covers would scare the livin' daylights outa me! :wink: 

Did she make you put them back ? I remember slipping one of those Playboy cartoon magazines in with my comics and Ma missed it. Me and my sister Susan were laughing histerically  in the back of the station wagon on the way home and she snagged it B| GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

3 hours ago, SOLAR BOY said:

Sir.....I guess I have to ask this.  Do you have any comics left?  or did you sell them all to go thru law school?  

Yes

I activity collect "Pin Up " art, Pulp Art, original comic art, American Illustration art, GA/SA comic books, pulp magazines and paperback books, 1930's mystical magazines, pulp digests etc. and have made two purchases in the last 30 days..that should answer your question. 

Edited by Mmehdy

This is the reason why these Boards need to remain forever untarnished by d-bags, shills and con artists.  This is why I have no urge to rush over to IG or other hot platforms.  The guys who made and fostered our hobby are here, posting their stories and having conversations on these boards.  I thought I was so smart as a teenager when I saved my money working at Blockbuster to buy several copies of Hulk 181, GS Xmen 1, and FF 48 in the early 90's.  But this thread is truly OG and shows how that trail was blazed decades earlier by old school visionary collectors.  Thanks for sharing guys!  (worship)

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

Did she make you put them back ?

Oh hell, I was afraid to even touch them!  By the time I graduated from Bugs Bunny and Donald Duck to Atlas suspense type books, the code had been in place for over a year, decimating the quantity and quality of serious themed comic books.

However, I discovered a spinner rack in a small local grocery store, that was filled with cellophane bags each containing 3 coverless PCH books for a quarter.  I stocked up until ma discovered what I was reading, and got the grocer to take them out.  

Regardless, I got bitten by PCH fever.  I eventually loaned them to a "friend", and never saw them again.  When I got back into collecting in the mid '70's, I would occasionally run across stories that seemed familiar.  Those were the covered copies of the books I had read almost 20 years before.  I made it a quest to try and gather every one that I could remember.  I believe I have recovered almost all of them.

49 minutes ago, davet75 said:

This is the reason why these Boards need to remain forever untarnished by d-bags, shills and con artists.  This is why I have no urge to rush over to IG or other hot platforms.  The guys who made and fostered our hobby are here, posting their stories and having conversations on these boards.  I thought I was so smart as a teenager when I saved my money working at Blockbuster to buy several copies of Hulk 181, GS Xmen 1, and FF 48 in the early 90's.  But this thread is truly OG and shows how that trail was blazed decades earlier by old school visionary collectors.  Thanks for sharing guys!  (worship)

Well...you were smart.  All 3 of those books have done well since that time haven't they?

8 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Well...you were smart.  All 3 of those books have done well since that time haven't they?

Yep, no complaints from me.  Although I gave most away over the next decade as gifts to my closest friends and my brother.  Kept a copy of each for myself.  My point was the comic market was already long established, comic conventions were regular events, and Overstreet had published about a dozen guides when I started collecting.  The formula was already there, I just followed it.  The early collectors spent an enormous amount of time, effort and money on a hobby of questionable long-term value (at the time).  They did it for love of the medium, to make money, to satisfy their hording OCD, and probably many other reasons and combinations of the above.  And they did it without the certainty that we have today of the hobby's future.  I love that they followed their passion in a niche hobby with many naysayers, and are hopefully being well rewarded as an extra bonus.  These first-hand stories (the good, the bad, and the ugly) are fascinating to me and give me a deeper appreciation for our hobby and the people in it.