• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Comic Book Press on Market
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2021 at 11:59 AM, Shane80 said:

Assuming you do this right, is this a better option that using a pressing service? 

Seriously, that is a gargantuan assumption. (You know, I've always liked that word... 'gargantuan'... so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.) IF you do it right it is a better option because it is faster and you have control. BUT to get to the point where you can do it "right"  takes a LOT of work and experimentation

But just to cause a bit of a ruckus the Seal (aka Bienfang aka Seal/Bienfang aka D&K) line of dry mount presses are essentially the benchmark. T-shirt presses look tempting but should be avoided.

12 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

Seriously, that is a gargantuan assumption. (You know, I've always liked that word... 'gargantuan'... so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.) IF you do it right it is a better option because it is faster and you have control. BUT to get to the point where you can do it "right"  takes a LOT of work and experimentation

But just to cause a bit of a ruckus the Seal (aka Bienfang aka Seal/Bienfang aka D&K) line of dry mount presses are essentially the benchmark. T-shirt presses look tempting but should be avoided.

I have seen a lot of people using the model you mentioned, but I was wondering why the T-shirt presses should be avoided? As long as the pressure can be applied evenly and the temperature adjusted to the desired temp what else should be considered?

10 hours ago, Instigator said:

I have seen a lot of people using the model you mentioned, but I was wondering why the T-shirt presses should be avoided? As long as the pressure can be applied evenly and the temperature adjusted to the desired temp what else should be considered?

What should be considered is control, precision and consistency, which the Seal/Bienfang/D&K lines offer.

T Shirt press people buy for $100 on Amazon/eBay are complete junk, they are cheaply made and the metal plate has a texture on it, it's not smooth like the Seal style presses. People usually use the wrong silicone release paper which has a texture on it as well which can imprint into the comic itself causing "pebbling" in the grader notes. All in all, To do pressing correctly and safely...Don't watch youtube videos or join pressing FB groups..They are hacks!  Especially, Don't listen to anything KaptainMyke has to teach, don't care how many 9.8's he says he gets, he's another hack.  Find someone that does it for a living (if they are nice enough to be willing to teach)  even if you have to pay them 5K, it's worth it in the end, or go through the months/years of trial and error, Press, submit, make corrections, rinse and repeat. That's how I learned.    

9 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

T Shirt press people buy for $100 on Amazon/eBay are complete junk, they are cheaply made and the metal plate has a texture on it, it's not smooth like the Seal style presses. People usually use the wrong silicone release paper which has a texture on it as well which can imprint into the comic itself causing "pebbling" in the grader notes. All in all, To do pressing correctly and safely...Don't watch youtube videos or join pressing FB groups..They are hacks!  Especially, Don't listen to anything KaptainMyke has to teach, don't care how many 9.8's he says he gets, he's another hack.  Find someone that does it for a living (if they are nice enough to be willing to teach)  even if you have to pay them 5K, it's worth it in the end, or go through the months/years of trial and error, Press, submit, make corrections, rinse and repeat. That's how I learned.    

KaptainMyke :facepalm:  Those that can, do. Those that cant, teach.

2 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Don't listen to anything KaptainMyke has to teach, don't care how many 9.8's he says he gets, he's another hack.

Curious as to what makes him a "hack". 
I follow that facebook group (among others) and dabble a little in learning to press my own books. My experience has differed with some of the specifics stated in his guide/book, but I haven't found a concept that is totally off the reservation yet. 
Not trying to start an argument or anything, just curious as I've only been following that group for a few weeks.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, USCMitch said:

Curious as to what makes him a "hack". 
I follow that facebook group (among others) and dabble a little in learning to press my own books. My experience has differed with some of the specifics stated in his guide/book, but I haven't found a concept that is totally off the reservation yet. 
Not trying to start an argument or anything, just curious as I've only been following that group for a few weeks.
Thanks.

Wrong materials, wrong technique just wrong everything.  He says to use metal sheets, like so many other rookies. Why?  Because people like him think you need the flip the book over so the book will press the other side! And with the metal plate, you won't have to do that...This is like telling someone that you need to flip over your turkey while it's in the oven, so the bottom will cook.  Yes, He's a hack  

Edited by Kevin76

1 hour ago, Bird said:

could he release the pressure and then open the press?

No, But he could hold down the lid and lift the arm up instead of reaching under it.  He had good pressure on it before he started adding more.  More isn't better.  

Edited by Kevin76

1 minute ago, Kevin76 said:

No, But he could hold down the lid and lift the arm up instead of reaching under it.  He had good pressure on it before he started adding more.  More isn't better.  

(thumbsu

I have a seal 210 but the wiring is wonky and I need to get it fixed. Can't just tuck it under my arm and walk out the door though!

6 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Wrong materials, wrong technique just wrong everything.  He says to use metal sheets, like so many other rookies. Why?  Because people like him think you need the flip the book over so the book will press the other side! And with the metal plate, you won't have to do that...This is like telling someone that you need to flip over your turkey while it's in the oven, so the bottom will cook.  Yes, He's a hack  

Good to know. 
I thought he advocated the metal plates since most of the t-shirt presses have soft silicon mats covering the platen. I didn't know it was related to heat transfer. I would think that a book never needs to be flipped as pressure is bidirectional and heat is radiant. But as I said, I'm just a guy dabbling due to the current market. Any book that is truly valuable or needs anything that some minor cosmetic work, I would STILL send to a pro.
Thanks for the insight.
(thumbsu

18 hours ago, joeypost said:

Unfortunately, some are so desperate to learn they look to any advice. Most is bad and I never comment on why it is bad, since I consider it free training. 

There is no substitute for hard work and trial and error training. I pressed for almost two years before I ever touched books for anyone else. Now these Facebook guys buy a press, advertise they have done dozens of books, and are now professionals. 

Exactly,  These FB guys really make my blood boil when I see them taking and using bad advice. It's almost like trying to teach someone without a driver's license how to drive, and are now Uber drivers.  

21 hours ago, joeypost said:

There is no substitute for hard work and trial and error training. I pressed for almost two years before I ever touched books for anyone else. Now these Facebook guys buy a press, advertise they have done dozens of books, and are now professionals. 

Agreed. An acquaintance had the cajones to press 30 of his own comics (as none of his buddies would let him practice on their vintage comics) then print up color flyers, hand them out at local cons, and set up his Facebook as a 'pro' presser. He had 2 hours of clean and press 'training' from Youtube.