• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

Anyone else watch the exciting ending to the Pep 36 CGC .5 auction on ebay. A .5 with brittle pages! And yet it brought $1400

The Archie 5 CGC 3.0 only sold for $750. That was surprising to me. If I knew it was going to go that low I might have bid on it.

The Archie 4 CGC 3.5 is already at $2000 so that's pretty exciting. That one ends tomorrow night. It's hard to think that it would go any higher, but with these early Archie's you never know.

Okay. This thread was started to discuss early Archie prices, i.e. GA Archie's. Silver is getting a little crazy now too:

Archie 100

$600 :o

:o is an understatement! Same subject, did you see what the Betty & Veronica 320 sold for in the last CC auction? First Cheryl Blossom or not there must be 100,000 copies of that issue out there in great shape! Good for the seller… but wow!

Okay. This thread was started to discuss early Archie prices, i.e. GA Archie's. Silver is getting a little crazy now too:

Archie 100

:o is an understatement! Same subject, did you see what the Betty & Veronica 320 sold for in the last CC auction? First Cheryl Blossom or not there must be 100,000 copies of that issue out there in great shape! Good for the seller… but wow!

Sell me one of your copies? :baiting:

I think it must have been a bidding sniping war where the winner had to out last the under bidder. But great cover, and gee, go find another copy! Which raises a question I have, ARE these Archie's from 1959-1961 really scarce in grade? Or just not worth slabbing or selling, cause you raly see them. CGC and GPA have next to no data on these books.

I think it must have been a bidding sniping war where the winner had to out last the under bidder. But great cover, and gee, go find another copy! Which raises a question I have, ARE these Archie's from 1959-1961 really scarce in grade? Or just not worth slabbing or selling, cause you raly see them. CGC and GPA have next to no data on these books.

I would say that they are fairly scarce in grade. There are almost no Pedigree Archie's. There are Church, Crowley, and Rockford copies of early Archie's but for silver age, almost nothing except for Circle 8 and Western Penn.

Guide values for Archie silver age books have never been high enough to encourage grading and of course, most people that buy Archie's buy them to read. I think the proliferation of high quality reprints such as the "Best of" artist series, Life with Archie, Afterlife, and all the other exposure is really starting to drive demand. Archie's were perceived as commonly available but now collectors are starting to realize that specific books can be tough to find at any given moment. When you have a seller like blissard who has established a good reputation and couple it with the attractive copies of scarce books, you end up with results like these.

Archie 100

Sell me one of your copies? :baiting:

Yeah. Haven't seen any cheap copies around.

Archie 100

The CGC census indicates clearly how difficult many of the early Silver Age Archie's are to find in high grade, especially the Archie Giant size issues where CGC 6.5 copies appear scarce and CGC 7.5 or higher copies appear "rare" to be found.

No Archie comics file copies available in the marketplace is having a big impact on higher prices being paid for high grade copies I believe.

Archie 100

The CGC census indicates clearly how difficult many of the early Silver Age Archie's are to find in high grade, especially the Archie Giant size issues where CGC 6.5 copies appear scarce and CGC 7.5 or higher copies appear "rare" to be found.

No Archie comics file copies available in the marketplace is having a big impact on higher prices being paid for high grade copies I believe.

But even so, he graded this copy Fine minus (5.5)... There were 3 bidders above $380. I'm shocked and I'm glad I already have my copy.

hard for you! you locked up all the Archies years ago for next to nothing (on average…) but, looking at the bids it was your usual hame of chicken, one guy bid 599 and the winner was 600. Bad timing for an all out snipe!

hard for you! you locked up all the Archies years ago for next to nothing (on average…) but, looking at the bids it was your usual hame of chicken, one guy bid 599 and the winner was 600. Bad timing for an all out snipe!

Unknown to most out there the sale! of Silver Age Archie's Mad House #22 CGC 7.5 that sold on e-bay on March 8th 2015 for $3,351.00!!! as a reminder of how truly rare! early Silver Age Archie key books are to find in a CGC 7.5 or better grade? Just look up on the CGC census ANY early Archie Silver Age Key book on the CGC census to back up what I am saying including Archie's Mad House #1 and Life with Archie #1.

But can we really use the census for these books? They don't guide very high. There are collectors who have put together runs of these books. And There's been no compelling reason to slab them to date.

I'm not calling out the GL76 example here, but the absence of slabbed copies has proven to be an unreliable factor for many books. If prices go crazy though, we will finally see what's what. I suspect that Will be as tough in 7.5 and above as say Marvel westerns because while printed in greater quantities, who was keeping them in nice condition?