• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic books dead or dying?
6 6

339 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Erndog said:

I honestly thought this thread was in jest or an April Fools joke considering how hot the comic market is.

It's ridiculous how much key books have climbed in the last 6 months even, nevermind 6 yrs.

Baking that Easter Bunny cake made me forget about April Fools.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

I don't think am well liked on this forum area for being either new or something đŸ˜‚ I don't understand 

half of us are accepting, the other half are suspicious. we old people don't like anything that sounds like bragging. we were crapped on for that when we were coming of age. but for your generation, it is "selling yourself and your accomplishments" and is perfectly acceptable.

don't worry, Hollywood was crapped on for the first 6 months he was here and he is a 30something, and now he is not crapped on. as much. and a valuable member of the comic nerd community. maybe. come to think of it, i haven't seen him in a while...

Edited by the blob

30 minutes ago, the blob said:

"Landscaping where I live cost $450 a week and that's twice a week. "

Ho-lee krap! We pay $50 a month in Brooklyn and they come 2X a month. Granted, my house is on 1/10th of an acre and I only have a few hundred square feet of lawn, but they trim the vines, do the leaves, mess with my flower bed, toss white powder around, and all that.

Must be Bed Sty. Nobody wants to go there.đŸ˜‚

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

half of us are accepting, the other half are suspicious. we old people don't like anything that sounds like bragging. we were crapped on for that when we were coming of age. but for your generation, it is "selling yourself and your accomplishments" and is perfectly acceptable.

Oh I didn't give it much thought I guess. I'll be honest never noticed it so I swear to God didn't mean to brag or sell myself just doing what I have to do with my peers to get a head. It's a habit I guess. And guess it's my jealous of never being able to got the best of me. Back when I was younger I always got bullied for stuttering and being half Asian and half white. The white kids hated me for being Asian and the Asian kids hated me for being half white. And adding stuttering too it made it worse so I took advantage of the situation.I won't lie

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Must be Bed Sty. Nobody wants to go there.đŸ˜‚

Flatbush.

The average sales price in Bed Stuy is $975K. That is an average of studio apartments and townhouses and everything in between. So Brownstones are $1.5 million+. Plenty of people, apparently, want to go there. Not my cup of tea. But the homes usually don't have lawns and such, so landscaping is pretty minimal. I live in an area with lawns, driveways, wood single family houses, etc. It looks like suburbs in a lot of places. 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

I'll have to say I"m really impressed:takeit:. 

Btw, what are your thoughts on Bitcoin? 

There was once a less then savory character ...actually a bit swarmy.... that showed up and touted the benefits .  Now in retrospect, he may have been right all along.... @Comics4All

@WolverinexDef getting Swarmi vibes.....

The real question is how does he feel about 9.2 slabbed Maximum Carnage sets? @mattn792

41 minutes ago, the blob said:

don't worry, Hollywood was crapped on for the first 6 months he was here and he is a 30something, and now he is not crapped on. as much. and a valuable member of the comic nerd community. maybe. come to think of it, i haven't seen him in a while...

Good point!

Summon

@Hollywood1892

and just for the LOLZ

@Buzzetta and @onlyweaknesskryptonite

1 hour ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

Is it signed by Steven King of STEPHEN king?

Either way  - he stopped signing fan mail and says on his website he won't do it so I doubt its validity.

signed by Steve King of Steve King fame!

49 minutes ago, the blob said:

:tink:

Every week for years i would log onto ebay, find a few ungraded key books and bid.  Every now and again I would win one and this went on for probably 7 or 8 years until 2 boxes of comics were in my closet filled with nothing but 1st appearances of characters that are mostly in movies now, mostly low grade but still all key books worth anywhere from 500 to 15000 if you believe the prices you see.  During this time I funded my 401k, bought a home, bought into stocks and gold and funds and got life insurance, all the rest.  Then I took all my books and sent them to CGC and they are coming back worth a fortune.  Did I 'invest' in comics?  No.  Did I end up with a sizable amount of my net worth in comics- yes.  Do i miss the couple hundred bucks every week I spent buying them.   Not at all, it was like playing poker in vegas, you know you're going to lose your money but you have fun for a couple hours enjoying the action.   I think you should take care of your needs first, and when those are met you should do what you enjoy.  If that thing ends up being valuable, fantastic, and if not, what are you saving it for anyway?  That's my take anyway.

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

Gotta be unslabbed 9.2s or they’re no good.

Oh yeah, I forgot!

Bits refused to send anything in to CGC to be graded! 

He wanted to start BCSGC  where the comics were wrapped in toilet paper! lol

1 minute ago, Kuhlektr said:

Every week for years i would log onto ebay, find a few ungraded key books and bid.  Every now and again I would win one and this went on for probably 7 or 8 years until 2 boxes of comics were in my closet filled with nothing but 1st appearances of characters that are mostly in movies now, mostly low grade but still all key books worth anywhere from 500 to 15000 if you believe the prices you see.  During this time I funded my 401k, bought a home, bought into stocks and gold and funds and got life insurance, all the rest.  Then I took all my books and sent them to CGC and they are coming back worth a fortune.  Did I 'invest' in comics?  No.  Did I end up with a sizable amount of my net worth in comics- yes.  Do i miss the couple hundred bucks every week I spent buying them.   Not at all, it was like playing poker in vegas, you know you're going to lose your money but you have fun for a couple hours enjoying the action.   I think you should take care of your needs first, and when those are met you should do what you enjoy.  If that thing ends up being valuable, fantastic, and if not, what are you saving it for anyway?  That's my take anyway.

Chasing blue chip marvels, even in lower grades, was a no brainer way of making money long term in this game (apparently). Predicting that Raphael 1 would go from a $50-75 book to a $900-1000 book in nice shape or any number of other massive "pops", particularly of BA and CA 9.8s, that have taken place is another thing. But yeah, if you were buying quality SA marvels from 1999-2014, even in lower grades, you have made out like a bandit. I sold a ST 110 (3.5-4.0) and X-Men 1 (1.8-2.0) here for $200 (maybe $180) and $600 (maybe only $550), respectively, within the last 10 years. I literally cold not get $225 for the ST 110 and the X-Men 1 got haggled down too. The x-men 1 is probably an $8-11K book right now and the ST 110 $3000-3500 (one just sold for a lot more, but was wayyyy more than Feb sales). Yes, neither was slabbed, but they both went to folks (I believe I sold the X-Men 1 to Greeg Reece) who would have said something about the grades being off or resto. sure, some stocks have given 1000-1500% returns, but here you didn't have to bet on a single company, you just had to bet on early marvel keys

2 hours ago, Jimmy Linguini said:

I'm not a signature expert. But most of the signatures you get in the mail from well known celebrities are not signed by their hand. The idea that a sitting president is signing hundreds of Eagle Scout cards is unrealistic.

Autopens use live ink, autopens have ink bleed through.

Personally I do not believe the Pope is signing his own mail but that is my opinion. I have seen signed Pope Francis stuff pop up because he has been signing for fans at the Vatican but I havn't seen any legit mailed in signatures from him.

Are you saying my 1988 Presidential Academic Fitness Award WASN’T signed by Ronald Reagan? đŸ˜©