• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiddling with your CAF Galleries
1 1

10 posts in this topic

After a fairly long and unintentional hiatus, I'm back! I mean, I'm still a newbie, so I probably wasn't missed much, but I certainly missed a lot!!! I have some catching up to do. How's everyone been?

In the meantime, on-topic, I find myself twiddling with my CAF galleries, re-reading and editing page entries, and even changing titles more than I want to. Do you do that, too? Tonight, I added more pages (which is the fiddling we all do), but also changed a lot of my titles to add characters to what was previously just issue and page numbers. I figured adding characters would make it easier for people who search for things to find characters they like.

I don't do much in the way of editing descriptions in CAF but I do like to re-arrange things. I do not like a folder to have too many pieces of art. When that happens I create a new folder and split up the contents. Probably a waste of time because most visits to my galleries are from newly posted art. Not blaming anyone because in fact I often only have enough time to visit and comment on the new art from others.

8 minutes ago, hmendryk said:

I don't do much in the way of editing descriptions in CAF but I do like to re-arrange things. I do not like a folder to have too many pieces of art. When that happens I create a new folder and split up the contents. Probably a waste of time because most visits to my galleries are from newly posted art. Not blaming anyone because in fact I often only have enough time to visit and comment on the new art from others.

You have a great CAF Gallery;  I've visited many times.

Twiddling my CAF art gallery is how I keep interested when I am not buying anything (usually waiting for the next Heritage or ComicLink auction).

If you are not, become a "Premium Member". It's not that expensive and getting email or text when certain want list items become available, will pay back any annual member fee you pay.

That said, the most fun you will have is managing your member gallery because.....premium member galleries are the ones shown on the left hand side once you open CAF. Therefore, your twelve pieces in your member gallery will be actively shown to all. I tweak my member gallery at least once a week to have different pieces shown. I have also got interested in other artist, because I saw it pop up on a premium members gallery.

Have fun with CAF as it is an awesome resource and as I said, can keep you interested when you aren't actively purchasing.

As mentioned above, become a "Premium Member" if you can.  The keyword e-mail notifications are nice.  I don't take advantage of it but you can post larger images than non-premium members.  I think Comic Art Live (the virtual comic art convention) opens up an hour early for Premium Members. 

I fiddle with a few things in my CAF...

Re: the 12 featured pieces that randomly appear in the top, left corner of the CAF main page... I keep the last 3 pieces I've posted at the bottom row.  It's just another way of getting them some exposure.  When I select them, the oldest of the 3 is on the bottom row on the left side... and the most recent of the 3 is on the bottom row on the right side... that way, when deleting the oldest, they'll automatically move over to the left and open up a spot for the most recent posting.  It's all very OCD.  The top 3, 6 or 9 pieces above are usually other pieces I want to highlight, I'll play with those every once in a while, usually to highlight Nick Cardy, my favorite artist.

I'll tweak my titles or descriptions if I remember something that might be nice to mention.  Although there are times I'll write a lot more than other pieces, I make sure I'm writing in the same style.  Also, I like using plenty of white space, so no walls of text from me, a pet peeve.  And I appreciate when someone writes about why a certain piece appeals to them or why they think it's an important piece in "comics history".

If a piece is published, I'll link it to comics.org using the Comic Art Archive.  It's kind of a pain (there are reasons) but once you get used to it, it's easier.

My 2 major pet peeves regarding other CAF galleries are... 1) too many pieces in a single gallery (my current highest is 38, which feels like a lot) and 2) having a lot of galleries specifically created just for a single pieces.

Edited by Will_K

5 minutes ago, Will_K said:

My 2 major pet peeves regarding other CAF galleries are... 1) too many pieces in a single gallery (my current highest is 38, which feels like a lot) and 2) having a lot of galleries specifically created just for a single pieces.

Totally agree with you on your No. 2 peeve.  (thumbsu  Instant turn-off for me as I really can't be bothered investigating lines and lines of text..

Edited by The Voord

I like fiddling around with my pieces.  Sometimes if I'm getting too many inquiries / questions, I take stuff down just for my own sanity.  

I kind of wish we could assign something to multiple galleries.  For example, I would like to just have an "oops all Optimus Prime" gallery or "Combiners" room just to mix it up without having to repost since I take pics on my phone and it can be annoying.  Plus it helps with the "one piece per room" issue where something may fit into my Combiners or Commissions gallery, but without some more options, it ends up as a single piece in its own room.  

Right now I have a "catch all" room for Transformers and one for "other" pieces.  I'll break out the "other" pieces into Earthworm Jim once I post a few more things.  But some of the "other" pieces are truly random like an AP that was (in theory) colored by Jerry Robinson. That doesn't fit my collection and other rooms. 

Edited by LastRaven

23 hours ago, Will_K said:

My 2 major pet peeves regarding other CAF galleries are... 1) too many pieces in a single gallery (my current highest is 38, which feels like a lot) 

I have mine broken up by type of art, i.e. original art, commissions, etc. and I never thought about just how many pages this is. I do wish there was a way that you could subfolder art within those folders as a directory so that you could do branch folders like Original Art --> Batman --> Detective Comics but I understand that is probably a ton of extra work/hosting for caf