• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 449
2 2

51 posts in this topic

I wanted to buy a copy of this book. Should I buy the direct addition or newsstand? I searched the key collector app and found that the direct edition is listing it at 150+, while the newsstand edition is listed at 70. What gives?  I always thought the newsstand was worth more.

10 hours ago, Cym said:

I wanted to buy a copy of this book. Should I buy the direct addition or newsstand? I searched the key collector app and found that the direct edition is listing it at 150+, while the newsstand edition is listed at 70. What gives?  I always thought the newsstand was worth more.

It might not be sold as often so the numbers are not updated or because the only slight variation could lead to people confusing the two and some newsstands selling as direct.  There are generally less higher grade copies of newsstand out and about but you also have a harder time verifying that due to census not separating them.

Direct vs. Newsstand is about as heated an argument as 180 vs. 181.

17 hours ago, Cym said:

The app's not perfect.  They're going to get some things wrong.

It depends on your goals and your financial situation.  You can lay out all of that information and get a better answer.

or you can ask a more specific question 

On 4/1/2021 at 4:35 AM, Dr. Dank said:

That's because the premise that newsstands are worth more is beyond stupid

Finding the newsstands is harder, but since when has anyone been paid extra to do something hard?

Oh, that's right.

Always.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Finding the newsstands is harder, but since when has anyone been paid extra to do something hard?

Oh, that's right.

Always.

Use a better analogy, I've worked harder for less money, many many times 

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Oh, that's right.

Always.

Use a better analogy, I've worked harder for less money, many many times 

Uhhh, yeah, that's more a statement about you. :foryou:

10 minutes ago, speedcake said:

We couldn't begin to list all the examples from throughout time when people were paid far, far less than they deserved for doing incredibly hard and/or dangerous work.  

They didn't ask the market what their value was.  They settled for what they could get.  The back issue market is driven by what people will pay, not what they'll give away.

No one must pay a premium for newsstand books, but anyone with an Incredible Hulk #449 newsstand for sale who doesn't want a premium over direct edition is leaving money on the table.

Those of you with collections full of direct editions who insist that newsstands are nothing special look ridiculous. 

You might as well complain that silver should be worth as much as gold because "yellow" is ugly.

9 minutes ago, XjYoZbQ said:
35 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Those of you with collections full of direct editions who insist that newsstands are nothing special look ridiculous

That's a lame straw man argument :eyeroll:

There are literally fewer Incredible Hulk #449 newsstands... the topic we're in.  The second post says that newsstands are "beyond stupid" when MATH says they're harder to find.

"Beyond stupid" is arguing with math.  "Ridiculous" is pretending that math doesn't matter.

The man is made of straw... and it's a direct edition.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Finding the newsstands is harder...

Not necessarily.  It depends on the book and when it came out.  Newsstand editions of books from the mid-1980s are probably more common (or just as common) as the direct editions (yet there are some claiming the newsstand should be worth more, just because).  I personally think this is an artificial distinction but that's part of my collecting values (and many others, apparently).

This is by no means an established hierarchy.  2c

Just now, Randall Dowling said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Finding the newsstands is harder...

Not necessarily.  It depends on the book and when it came out.  Newsstand editions of books from the mid-1980s are probably more common (or just as common) as the direct editions (yet there are some claiming the newsstand should be worth more, just because).  I personally think this is an artificial distinction but that's part of my collecting values (and many others, apparently).

This is by no means an established hierarchy.  2c

Incredible Hulk #449.  This topic.

1 minute ago, XjYoZbQ said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

There are literally fewer Incredible Hulk #449 newsstands... the topic we're in.  The second post says that newsstands are "beyond stupid" when MATH says they're harder to find.

"Beyond stupid" is arguing with math.  "Ridiculous" is pretending that math doesn't matter.

The man is made of straw... and it's a direct edition.

The post I quoted has nothing to do with Hulk #449; that's part of the problem.

I replied IN the topic.  You ignoring the topic is part of the problem.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:29 AM, Cym said:

It's not always true, but given the time this issue came out, Newsstand would be far preferred for equal money, and even more-so for less.

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Incredible Hulk #449.  This topic.

My feelings are unchanged.  I don't care if they printed 200,000 direct copies and 1 newsstand.  It's a gimmick.  Just like the many versions of McFarlane's Spider-man 1.  All the same comic, but designed to get collectors to chase artificial, relatively non-substantial differences.

Edited by Randall Dowling
Misspelled the guy's name

1 minute ago, Randall Dowling said:

My feelings are unchanged.  I don't care if they printed 200,000 direct copies and 1 newsstand.  It's a gimmick.  Just like the many versions of MacFarlane's Spider-man 1.  All the same comic, but designed to get collectors to chase artificial, relatively non-substantial differences.

So, your argument is actually against the existence of variants in the market.  Yeah, that's a much bigger battle you're also destined to lose.