• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Holy Grail"?
3 3

50 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Badlands said:

I know that the term "holy grail" means something different to everyone. Back when I started re-collecting comics my grail was X-Men #1. Then it became Hulk #1, then AF #15 and so on. 

Now I think I'm starting to redefine what grail means, at least to me. My definition of the term is now something like "a book I REALLY want but will more then likely never be lucky enough to own". My "grail" is below. What's yours?

Screenshot_20210401-131629_eBay.jpg

Grail is a book you may some day own.  Holy grail is a book you will never own unless you stumble on it at a yard sale.

15 minutes ago, Beige said:

The Horowitz Australian Daredevil #1

Same release date, different cover.

I had a low grade one years ago and sold it on expecting a higher grade to appear.

It never did.

Extremely rare book - and probably biggest comic mistake I ever made.

Wow, never even heard of this. My company has an office down in Australia and I've been begging my boss to go for years. She says she'll find some excuse to send me to Sydney once the pandemic clears up. If she comes through I'll have to search for this very cool comic in the outback!

35 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I thought you had to solve a series of riddles and then prove your worthiness in front an ancient ghost, and only then will you own your holy grail?

I think you need to melt some Nazi’s or something, been a while since I seen that movie

Just now, BoogieWoogie said:

Wow, never even heard of this. My company has an office down in Australia and I've been begging my boss to go for years. She says she'll find some excuse to send me to Sydney once the pandemic clears up. If she comes through I'll have to search for this very cool comic in the outback!

Good Luck with that! :foryou:

1 hour ago, kav said:

Grail is a book you may some day own.  Holy grail is a book you will never own unless you stumble on it at a yard sale.

I must have 2 or 3 dozen comics I’m looking out for that are that hard to find, but wouldn’t be particularly expensive if I ever did find them

8 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Australia has had almost no covid cases for several months now; only the occasional flare-up when there is an infection acquired by workers at quarantine hotels.

BTW I have that DD#1, albeit it has no cover.

11 minutes ago, Beige said:

Good Luck with that! :foryou:

Thank you! It's a longshot wrapped in a bigger longshot - me getting to go at all - so I'm not holding out hope. It's okay, life is good! ^^

My Holy Grail is AF15. Not super rare and they change hands all the time so eventually, after saving for a few years and unloading my duplicates, I'm sure I'll score one.

There are only two really rare books that I'm looking for: Maximum Carnage #1 and Amazing Spider-Man #184 All/No-price variant. I stupidly let a sealed copy of the #184 variant go in a big lot that ultimately sold for under $1,000. Also had a NICE copy of #194 and #238 in there. I soon learned that the no-price copy of ASM #184 was probably worth a grand on its own. And I think the 238 in that lot was 9.4+ so it was probably worth a grand by itself. Oh and the #194 was 9.4+ as well so it was close. There are very few auctions I've lost out on that I remember, especially from over a year ago but I don't know if I'll ever forget that one. Just me and 1 other bidder. I tell myself that that guy probably had a reserve price of $3k or something I wouldn't have paid... but I should've at least tried up to at least $1,500... haven't seen a sealed copy of the no-price ASM #184 come up for sale since...

And then there's Maximum Carnage #1. Really rare reprint that came with the deluxe edition of the Maximum Carnage video game, and it used that cool CGI image of Carnage they put on the box. Would love to have a high grade slabbed copy of that one. A 9.8 would be a literal dream :cloud9:

7 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Australia has had almost no covid cases for several months now; only the occasional flare-up when there is an infection acquired by workers at quarantine hotels.

BTW I have that DD#1, albeit it has no cover.

Congrats - thats' one hell of a tough book.

I read an article (damned if I can find it) that stated it was Australia's rarest SA book ( because we didn't print many)

Amazing achievement to own one - I have seen 2 copies total in the last 10 years - and one was mine.

It's safe to say that the hunt for this book has driven me nuts at times! :luhv:

9 minutes ago, Beige said:

Congrats - thats' one hell of a tough book.

I read an article (damned if I can find it) that stated it was Australia's rarest SA book ( because we didn't print many)

Amazing achievement to own one - I have seen 2 copies total in the last 10 years - and one was mine.

It's safe to say that the hunt for this book has driven me nuts at times! :luhv:

Congrats are undeserved in this case. I got it back in the day. I think it came in a Showbag.