• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why am I collecting?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I agree with collecting what you like, but stick to your budget.  If you have lots of money to throw around, then have fun.  If you have a tight budget and/or a small apartment, then focus on the comics which provide you with the most pleasure and enjoyment.

I focus on Spider-Man titles and cover appearances from 60s, 70s, and 80s.  I look for comics and magazines, and I do go after runs.  I enjoy magazines and fanzines with Spider-Man on the cover as well, like Foom and Comic Reader.  These can be difficult in NM, which is what I look for, assuming I can get it within my budget.  I used to collect Captain America, Daredevil, Conan, Fantastic Four, and Treasuries, but I narrowed to Spider-Man (which isn't that narrow!).  I stopped with ASM at 700.

Also, I sold off all of my high-value comics several years ago to get money to help get our family into our current home, as housing is very expensive in the LA area.  I am enjoying re-purchasing and finding comics all over again, yet the prices are killer!

V/R, Mike

I’m into collecting runs as by nature I like things to be complete. 
i ( nearly ) enjoy filling a gap for £4 as I do getting a key. 

im currently just focussing on ASM so offloading other titles such as Thor / FF to fund. That way I’m not overspending and effectively just trading to cover the keys. 

Foremost because comics are beautiful; literal art/culture. As we each like our own thing, I think it's important we each cultivate our own focus so more comics get preserved and, by extension, we keep a record of who we were. In thousands of years most comics will be dust without those like us.

Find your kink; collect it. Splash out on keys when they cross your kink, but remember to save those books that nobody else may be looking at like you do. Without you and others like you, they'll fade to nothingness within a few generations or less.

As for me, I love Lichtenstein. That's why I started. Never did I think that'd lead me to superheroes. I collect Pietas, which everyone has their own definition for. And Catwoman because she's Catwoman (need no reason). That's where I focus, although admittedly the Pietas are where I can best spread my eye and curate my own collection rather than ticking from a pre-determined list. I allow myself to stray a tiny little bit and am currently obsessed with Jim Aparo meets Tatyana Wood. Lines like physics; colour like the cosmos. Like BatB #161. So simple; bold. What elegance.

BTW, if anyone wants to lend me a Catman #31... (certainly can't afford one)

8 minutes ago, 1 2 3 4 Thumb War! said:

That puts you in the minority around here.

I can imagine 🤣

3 minutes ago, 1 2 3 4 Thumb War! said:

What's special about that issue? Or is a variant thing?

It just falls into my definition of Pieta, is an early example and I like it 🤷🏼‍♀️

I used to be a run collector. Some of the most fun I’ve had in the hobby was going around to cons in my teens and 20s looking to complete my Hulk and ASM runs in whatever grade. I will say that while upgrading is fun, there’s nothing like the feeling of initially acquiring the issues, no matter what grade they’re in.. for me at least.