• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual Slab Damage
1 1

53 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, vheflin said:

Could be the slab room can't concentrate what with all the screaming coming from the cards department.

I understood why PSA decided to hold the future submissions until July 31st to protect their integrity and professionalism to avoid all mishaps in any process.

6 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

I understood why PSA decided to hold the future submissions until July 31st to protect their integrity and professionalism to avoid all mishaps in any process.

After seeing so many of the posts here.. I am beginning to think it was to try to get rid of some of these insufficiently thoughtless people. 

5 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

What we need to do with most of them.. 1922810723_200(9).gif.5498a3fb4c940c349a9713d9fc06a63d.gif

My wife remembered her 6th grade class to discuss about the class of people - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That was in 1991 then every since they still do!

7 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

My wife remembered her 6th grade class to discuss about the class of people - everyone is entitled to their own opinion. That was in 1991 then every since they still do!

One think about opinions everyone should keep in mind is perception of truth. 

20210326_013631.thumb.jpg.c0bfbcaa693e07a23817e894726c8411.jpg

11 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

There are a lot of variables in the slab room...

Apologists would say that. Sorry. No way that should happen. In business, there are things that can happen and they have to be dealt with. There are other certain things that are verboten. Absolutely must not and WILL NOT happen.

But you are correct in that I don't have the temperament to send in books to be graded. Especially in this climate. Too many books to grade and at breakneck speed and there will be serious errors. Unless I could be there and go through the process, they will remain here with me. They look just as nice in a top loader.

7 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

I just started collecting CGC slabs last month. Of the seven I bought off eBay, an alarming three had movement within.

After sending messages explaining how CGC encapsulation serves the dual purpose of both relaying grade and preserving said grade and movement would compromise the second function: one issued ~50% refund, another a full refund + shipping costs to return it, and the third advised to file a USPS claim (which would cover the value of the book). In the USPS claim, I included screenshots of CGC's fees for shipping and to reholder (since they are unlikely to consider movement a damaged case and cause for higher re-grading fees from what I've gathered in forum posts claiming CGC is intentionally not making them snug to avoid newton rings, horrifying because CGC is trading something that has no potential to harm the book for something that does)

Whoever's fault it is when comics are loose, it certainly does not lie with the buyer, so I recommend when it happens to you, do as I have and demand compensation.

There's no dent in the seller's pic though, if you meant because it's low already (thus creating potential for damage) it's still from moving around later

It is a rounded crunch, look at the impact - nothing in that slab as is would cause that while it is in the slab.

I clearly see the same pics and have dealt with CGC graded comics for a very long time. I know how it works and what it looks like, thanks for double checking though. As I said previously, the shape of the damage is not consistent with the position of the comic now or how it could slide around in my opinion. If so, it most likely would not be in this location of the comic only.

Your arguing with the wrong person. Have a great day!

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

On 4/2/2021 at 2:51 AM, Professor Chaos said:

Hi, bought this on e bay, got it today. Getting a refund. But look at this damage to the book on the bottom of the book itself. I've never seen this before that I can recall. The holder is fine and in the pictures on e bay it looks normal, but during shipping the book appears to have moved down inside the holder with enough force to smash up the bottom of the book. It was graded on 3/3/21. I'm wondering if they forgot to put it inside an inner sleeve. I feel bad for the seller because it wasn't his fault.

1942.jpg

1943.jpg

DSC00007.JPG

I purchased an Elektra #1 JScottCampbell.com Edition B CGC 9.8 on eBay earlier this month from a highly reputable seller, and it was packaged very well but arrived with similar damage to your comic, with the back cover/edge having been uplifted in three spots. The seller accepted the return and apologized for missing the damage (assuming he had), although I didn't blame him. The comic seemed too loose inside the case and was low in the slab when I received it. Though I cannot say when the damage occurred, other than sometime after it was graded 9.8 by CGC, it did appear to involve faulty encapsulation (i.e., comic damage occurred inside the case due to some encapsulation flaw or hazard).

I went over this more extensively in this post: 

I'm pretty sure this is damage being caused by the box being dropped or handled roughly which pushes the comics out of the inner well. I haven't read every comment in this post so this was probably already mentioned. I've had this happen with 11 comics so far this year from CGC. 5 out of 25 in the most recent sub I got back the other day. Here are the pictures.

CGC rep's solution when I called was to fly to Florida to pick them up to prevent "transit damage" or sub through a local vendor which doesn't make any sense since they could still be damaged during transit. I'm not kidding either. These were the actual suggestions he gave me.

CGC Damage - Comic 1.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 2A.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 3B.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 4.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 5.jpg

Edited by Sharon Wang

This is one I purchased off Ebay last month. Same thing. Couldn't tell by the photos in the listing and returned it once I received it.

This is the same issue # that I posted above but this one was a 9.8. The one above was a 9.6 in case it looked like I was just reposting damage from the same comic. It isn't.

Solo Damage.jpg