• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unusual Slab Damage
1 1

53 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Sharon Wang said:

I went over this more extensively in this post: 

I'm pretty sure this is damage being caused by the box being dropped or handled roughly which pushes the comics out of the inner well. I haven't read every comment in this post so this was probably already mentioned. I've had this happen with 11 comics so far this year from CGC. 5 out of 25 in the most recent sub I got back the other day. Here are the pictures.

CGC rep's solution when I called was to fly to Florida to pick them up to prevent "transit damage" or sub through a local vendor which doesn't make any sense since they could still be damaged during transit. I'm not kidding either. These were the actual suggestions he gave me.

CGC Damage - Comic 1.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 2A.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 3B.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 4.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 5.jpg

I don't think CGC's solution is rational.

On 4/19/2021 at 11:54 AM, Sharon Wang said:

I'm pretty sure this is damage being caused by the box being dropped or handled roughly which pushes the comics out of the inner well. I haven't read every comment in this post so this was probably already mentioned. I've had this happen with 11 comics so far this year from CGC. 5 out of 25 in the most recent sub I got back the other day. Here are the pictures.

CGC rep's solution when I called was to fly to Florida to pick them up to prevent "transit damage" or sub through a local vendor which doesn't make any sense since they could still be damaged during transit. I'm not kidding either. These were the actual suggestions he gave me.

I agree with you: I do not believe those are ideal solutions to this problem. There seems to be an uptick of this particular kind of damage recently, so I do wonder if there may be some lapses in quality control in regard to securing the inner well, specifically at the lower end of the comic. Of course, packages tending to be dropped at the lower end of the case is a big part of it, but it still seems like something a bit unusual is happening here.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, Sharon Wang said:

CGC Damage - Comic 1.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 2A.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 3B.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 4.jpg

CGC Damage - Comic 5.jpg

How is CGC compensating you for this?

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

How is CGC compensating you for this?

CGC gives credit for the declared value only. Not grading, shipping or any other fees. They also keep the damaged comics if you decide to take the credit. So if the comic doubled in value since you sent it back, they will only credit the original declared value.

Edited by Sharon Wang

Over the past couple of months, I have received three newly graded CGC 9.8 comics purchased on eBay that arrived with some level of damage to the bottom edge of the back cover. The first comic was damaged to a similar severity as examples that have been posted in this thread (as I stated on April 17), but the latest two involved more subtle damage, though obvious enough to where it would have bothered the hell out of me having a "9.8" in my collection like that. So I did return all three comics. I'm convinced that something is happening with CGC's encapsulation/quality control process lately. Whatever it is, I hope they make a course correction. I know that encased comics are far from immune to damage when there's a significant impact; however, I've been collecting comics for years and have never seen this frequency of occurrence, and most certainly not in the same location (i.e., the lower edge of the back cover of the comic).

I already was planning to discontinue comic collecting soon anyway, and this has pushed me "over the edge" so to speak. But I also have been planning to increasingly get some of my ungraded comics graded by CGC over the next year, to help decide what to keep and what to sell and potentially enhance resale value. My experience with orders and customer service have been fine thus far. Still, I will be monitoring the situation closely...

I just bought my 5 CGC slab from Ebay and there seems to be some type of moisture in-between the outer slab and the inner plastic sleeve. You can look at the photo and see the moisture in the light and on Jordan's chest area. There doesnt appear to be any damage to the book so i'm guessing I just send it into CGC for a new slab or for them to properly clean it?

IMG_4312.jpeg

12 hours ago, Scott W. Harris said:

I just bought my 5 CGC slab from Ebay and there seems to be some type of moisture in-between the outer slab and the inner plastic sleeve. You can look at the photo and see the moisture in the light and on Jordan's chest area. There doesnt appear to be any damage to the book so i'm guessing I just send it into CGC for a new slab or for them to properly clean it?

IMG_4312.jpeg

This is not moisture.  It is known as the Newton Ring effect.  Just google or search it here on the boards plenty of examples of it. 

Is there any other industry where a company can damage goods of yours that they have for whatever reason and they are able to fix it how they see fit? Or ignore it?

Aren't there legal requirements they are subject to as a registered business to be fully liable for damage they cause?

On 4/28/2021 at 7:41 AM, Sharon Wang said:

CGC gives credit for the declared value only. Not grading, shipping or any other fees. They also keep the damaged comics if you decide to take the credit. So if the comic doubled in value since you sent it back, they will only credit the original declared value.

How do you declare value on an ungraded book? You guess? What if it is restored, comes back an 8.5? They should replace the book like for like.