• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slabbing pedigree books

7 posts in this topic

I’ve been selling some books on eBay, most of these I bought in the 70’s when I worked (as child labor) in a comic book store in Seattle. But I also bought Golden Age and EC’s in the 90’s (until getting restored books drove me away)  -  my girlfriend told me as she was photographing the interior pages of the book, Wow #14, that is had all these check marks in it. So it seems I bought a Cosmic Areoplane book.  I don’t remember buying it as a pedigree book, so I have to assume that the seller (I think I got it on eBay) didn’t know either?

I have been debating whether to sell two D Collection Lou Fine Smash Comics and some later Timelys and to do that I thought I would get them slabbed. Now I would like to add the Wow.

So my question is, for pedigree books does CGC need any proof other than the book itself?  I have a White Mountain Two-Fisted Tales that I also planned to submit, that has a certificate.  The D books did not have any documentation when I bought them.

Thanks

wo4 14.jpg

wow 14 int.jpg

Smash 18 Dcopy - sm  .jpg

Smash 18 D-Int - sm  .jpg

Smash 19 Dcopy  - sm  .jpg

Smash 19 D-Int - sm   .jpg

Sometimes the book itself is the only proof that can be offered. In this case, I would think you have a pretty good chance with the specific pencil markings on the inside. My advice is to simply contact CGC customer support with the same information and photo samples and see what they say. Nice books, btw (thumbsu

Thanks all for your replies.

Every decade or so I get back in to this hobby and see how things have changed.  I’ve been dragging comic boxes around for 40 years.  

I will contact CDC, I am glad to know there is no unwritten pedigree law since the CDC does function as a de facto pedigree expert once the book is sealed and labeled.

In the old days I was against restoration (in retrospect the 90’s were like the Wild West for that) but less so with blue label designation.  I may bring a few more questions.  I appreciate the knowledge base here.

OH! Yes, Fawcett’s had the best covers.  I’ve liked the early Jack Binder Mary Marvel Wow covers ever since I saw the unpublished cover in Steranko’s History of Comic’s volume 2.