• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FF 1 vs XM 1 trade
3 3

Which would you chose?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• FF 1 blue label 5.0 white, signed by Stan
    • XM 1 blue label 6.0 white, Green River ped

47 posts in this topic

Drummy and I were discussing a potential straight-up trade, and here are the two books in question. Both of us are curious which one people would choose, and also curious how the value will evolve for each in the next 1, 5, 10 years. What are you opinions?

FF 1 5.0.jpg

001 (8).jpg

To me, FF 1 has that Action 1-style magic, even if it's not the 'coolest' book on the wall.  (And it's plenty cool, too.) 

I was just going to reply with this as my 'Holy Grail' book in the General thread.  In this case, I could take or leave the Stan signature, I just love the book.

You two are killing me.

Ok. Here... we... go...

The choice in this instance is FF #1, but barely.

And the reason it's close is primarily because of the pedigree of the X-Men #1.
I like the Green River ped a lot.
If it were a non-ped copy, the FF choice is easier to make. The big plus for me is Stan's old-school signature.
I happen to like older creator signatures quite a bit. I know Stan signed everything. But this is sweet.
His older signatures were usually placed with a little more care.
I had an FF #1 that I had Stan sign right in the mouth of the creature - I loved that book!

If this were a non-Stan signature copy vs Green River X-Men #1? I'm taking the X-Men #1.

Now the-above choice is based purely on just wanting to have a copy.

If were making the choice based upon dollars/speculation...? Really tough choice.
I'd probably lean X-Men.

In one year's time, I think the FF and X-Men #1s continue to move up. X-Men closing the gap in respective grades. But FF remaining on top.

In five year's time. Depends upon which franchise hits the MCU first. But if they both hit in the same year (like an early summer release/late summer release line-up),
I would have to say the X-Men close the gap further and probably break even with the FF in grades up to say - 6.5? The FF are just so tough to find in universal grade from 7.0 on up.
I think the FF would hang on in those higher grades, despite X-Men's overall popularity and people's curiosity to see what happens with the X-Men in the MCU.

The FF have a bit of a double-edged sword being introduced into the MCU... they have a clean slate, but not as successful of a prior franchise. The X-Men will have a lot of people wanting to watch what happens in the MCU *and* they have a pretty good cinematic track record.

10 years out: If both franchises successfully integrate into the MCU, I think those higher grade FF #1s move a decent chunk out ahead of X-Men #1s. But I could see the X-Men moving ahead of the FF in grades maybe up to 7.0. If the FF bombs - well - the X-Men will jump past it. I've mentioned it before, but I think GS X-Men #1 does blunt the high point growth of X-Men #1. The FF have a singular #1 starting point. X-Men have #1 and GS #1. If the Angel and Ice Man were introduced and had huge popularity, then that would help X-Men #1 a lot. But I think Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, and (3rd) Wolverine have more loaded up to make a run.

14 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I'd say the FF but I'm not aware of any Lee signatures on covers from 1975. i'd need confirmation that signature is real.

Just look at the Superman vs Spiderman treasury that was out in 1976 for reference - I'd say the signature is legit.
Can I guarantee it? Nope. But I'd pony up for it in this case, if another FF #1, unsigned, was right next to it

2 hours ago, Savoyard23 said:

To me, FF 1 has that Action 1-style magic, even if it's not the 'coolest' book on the wall.  (And it's plenty cool, too.) 

I was just going to reply with this as my 'Holy Grail' book in the General thread.  In this case, I could take or leave the Stan signature, I just love the book.

Yup. Way higher ceiling too. FF have been done dirty in movie expectations. Marvel movies are 4-quadrant entertainment and a strong cinematic intro for the FF will make life-long fans more than the already-present X-Men fandom. Besides the fact FF1 started all of the Marvel we know and is many magnitudes rarer than X1. 

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

You two are killing me.

Ok. Here... we... go...

The choice in this instance is FF #1, but barely.

And the reason it's close is primarily because of the pedigree of the X-Men #1.
I like the Green River ped a lot.
If it were a non-ped copy, the FF choice is easier to make. The big plus for me is Stan's old-school signature.
I happen to like older creator signatures quite a bit. I know Stan signed everything. But this is sweet.
His older signatures were usually placed with a little more care.
I had an FF #1 that I had Stan sign right in the mouth of the creature - I loved that book!

If this were a non-Stan signature copy vs Green River X-Men #1? I'm taking the X-Men #1.

Now the-above choice is based purely on just wanting to have a copy.

If were making the choice based upon dollars/speculation...? Really tough choice.
I'd probably lean X-Men.

In one year's time, I think the FF and X-Men #1s continue to move up. X-Men closing the gap in respective grades. But FF remaining on top.

In five year's time. Depends upon which franchise hits the MCU first. But if they both hit in the same year (like an early summer release/late summer release line-up),
I would have to say the X-Men close the gap further and probably break even with the FF in grades up to say - 6.5? The FF are just so tough to find in universal grade from 7.0 on up.
I think the FF would hang on in those higher grades, despite X-Men's overall popularity and people's curiosity to see what happens with the X-Men in the MCU.

The FF have a bit of a double-edged sword being introduced into the MCU... they have a clean slate, but not as successful of a prior franchise. The X-Men will have a lot of people wanting to watch what happens in the MCU *and* they have a pretty good cinematic track record.

10 years out: If both franchises successfully integrate into the MCU, I think those higher grade FF #1s move a decent chunk out ahead of X-Men #1s. But I could see the X-Men moving ahead of the FF in grades maybe up to 7.0. If the FF bombs - well - the X-Men will jump past it. I've mentioned it before, but I think GS X-Men #1 does blunt the high point growth of X-Men #1. The FF have a singular #1 starting point. X-Men have #1 and GS #1. If the Angel and Ice Man were introduced and had huge popularity, then that would help X-Men #1 a lot. But I think Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, and (3rd) Wolverine have more loaded up to make a run.

The FF are confirmed, in development. That means guaranteed late-2022 or early, mid-2023 for the movie. X-Men have 0 news from the actual source, just speculation. That means 2025 at the earliest probably. FF will maybe have a sequel out before any X-Men movies. 

Some of my friends think the FF 1 is better.

Some of my friends think the Xmen 1 is better.

I'm willing to go on record that I stand with my friends. :sumo:

33 minutes ago, D84 said:

Whichever one I could sell now and buy a book I actually want.

Nothing against these books, but I'm not really a Marvel guy.

then why are you talking?? you get the award for post no one needed, buddy.

i'll go with the xmen as well. more exciting team, better looking book, a nice pedigree, and no cover-marring signature either. and i do believe xmen films will continue to be far more popular than ff films will ever be, no matter who makes them. for my generation, it's all about the xmen. 

If there were no writing on the FF I’d take it in a heartbeat. But I’m not personally a sig guy and more importantly @shadroch, in this world of Yellow Labels, won’t be the only person wanting to question authenticity down the road. (Though I agree with @HighVoltageit looks real). 
The x-men has that safe, anticipated upside feel in the current market, plus ped status. That said, I honestly don’t know how much silver age peds add to cachet as compared to GA peds. Outside of Curators, I don’t often think to search a site for silver peds. But I’m an N of 1 and may not reflect the market; I just don’t know.

Certainly seems there’s broad-based, baked-in assumptions out there that x-men will be an awesome film franchise exceeding its reasonably well done Fox movies. No one is considering the idea of an MCU x-men film being poorly done. Yet everyone seems to think the same studio cannot produce a likable FF film. You guys are making this decision in the face of some very divergent public opinion, currently, about the respective futures of these franchises.

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

I'd say the FF but I'm not aware of any Lee signatures on covers from 1975. i'd need confirmation that signature is real.

I think that the signature's really a moot point.  It's on the cover and real or fake (although it looks legit to me), CGC does not recognize it as a verified "signature" on its label.  So whether the signature is real or not won't change anything about the entire package.

I'd take the FF 1.  

As a curiosity question, what's keeping the FF 1 as a five?  It looks pretty good from a distance lol